Cy-Hawk Dual

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I know very little about wrestling. For those knowledgeable how would you handicap this dual?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I know very little about wrestling. For those knowledgeable how would you handicap this dual?
We won't win. If it's remotely close, it was a fantastic day. Even with a couple upsets, they have the ability to major bonus points (65, Hwt, maybe 41 too with his goofy style and then if Lee does go, obviously we're very screwed there too). We will likely only have one bonus pt victory.

Reactions: GMackey32

Proton

SuperFanatic
Aug 19, 2019
We won't win. If it's remotely close, it was a fantastic day. Even with a couple upsets, they have the ability to major bonus points (65, Hwt, maybe 41 too with his goofy style and then if Lee does go, obviously we're very screwed there too). We will likely only have one bonus pt victory.

Very unlikely, but not impossible. Was it two years ago that we would have won if Gomez pinned Desanto?

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
If I lived closer, I would make it, but I don't think I am going to make the trek to Ames for this. There just isn't even a remote scenario in which this should even be that close. And there is not a chance in hell the Brands bros don't put the A team out there to even let the door to that be cracked open. It is what it is. I just hope we have some fight and maybe an upset or two.

JM4CY - Just because you said there's no scenario to keep it close... Here's my best case (and way overly optimistic) scenario for keeping it close just to make you rethink the trip :)

125 - Kysen dec Ybarra (Team 3-0)
133 - DeSanto dec Ramazan (3-3) Key: Stay on their feet and avoid the fireman's carry
>> Alternative scenario - DeSanto gives up and early takedown then throws a punch to get DQ'd. Then proceeds to run into the stand to fight the whole Schriever family and all of the other ISU fans who cheer against him. Terry proceeds to put (dream scenario for sure)
141 - Eierman dec Redding (3-6) Key: Redding slows the match down, finishes a shot, and stays off his back.
149 - Degen/Parker dec Murin (or get bonus against IA backup) (6-6)
157 - Carr tech fall Young (8-6) (Carr gets a couple of tilts which opens the TD floodgates)
165 - Bull dec. Kraisser/Judge (8-9) key: Stall early & often yet it doesn't get called since it's in Hilton ;)
174 - Devine dec Brands (11-9) key: Gets early TD and ride Brands like a mule
184 - Marcus dec Assad (14-9) key: This isn't really an upset in my mind
197 - Yonger dec Warner (17-9) key: Get early TD and don't get turned. He will likely give up a riding time point.
Hwt - Cass WBF - (17-15 -- ISU SHOCKS THE WORLD AND WINS THIS DUAL)

KEY to the dual: Coach Brands overlooks us and wrestles all backups for anyone on his team who is slightly dinged up.

Disclaimer: I do NOT really believe this is going to happen nor am I predicting it to happen. I just wanted to give JM4CY a "remote scenario" for keeping it close. This doesn't even involve a fluke pin buy one of our guys (like I'm predicting @ 165 ;) which would result in a complete blowout ;)

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Warner is beatable but if the Cuban took him down, that would be all kinds of awesome.

Reactions: CyGold

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
If I lived closer, I would make it, but I don't think I am going to make the trek to Ames for this. There just isn't even a remote scenario in which this should even be that close. And there is not a chance in hell the Brands bros don't put the A team out there to even let the door to that be cracked open. It is what it is. I just hope we have some fight and maybe an upset or two.
Same here - hate the late start on a Sunday

Reactions: crablegs

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
I agree that it wont be close but, like I threw out before, if the lineup from the last two Iowa duals is out there you don't need to squint to hard to see 6 winnable matches. It'd take a GREAT day of wrestling against several of Iowa's back-up's for that to happen, particularly considering I could see us giving up Tech or Fall in the 4 other matches and still losing the dual even in a "best case scenario" world.

My prediction as of today is that we see Murin/Warner wrestle but no Lee/Kemerer. My predictions there would be win 125, 149, 157, 184 all by decision and give up a bunch of bonus elsewhere to lose 28-12.

• Agree
Reactions: JM4CY

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Word from my Hawkeye fam is that Lee, Murin, and Kemerer are unlikely to be on the mat until late December or January, though Warner might wrestle vs. ISU. However, Iowa never shares any information in this area and they might just be reading the tea leaves.

Assuming the above with no Warner, I think we can take 4-5 matches but bonus is going to be the downfall. ISU dec at 125, 149, 197, with a major at 157, and 184 is a toss up that can be won. Likely to give up bonus at 133, 141, 165, and HWT. Perhaps even 174 if Devine doesn't strap on for 7 minutes.

Very unlikely, but not impossible. Was it two years ago that we would have won if Gomez pinned Desanto?

It was 2018. The stars aligned almost perfectly with Iowa dealing with major illness, a gunshot wound, and the injury in a match they were leading. Damn near had them.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Word from my Hawkeye fam is that Lee, Murin, and Kemerer are unlikely to be on the mat until late December or January, though Warner might wrestle vs. ISU. However, Iowa never shares any information in this area and they might just be reading the tea leaves.

Assuming the above with no Warner, I think we can take 4-5 matches but bonus is going to be the downfall. ISU dec at 125, 149, 197, with a major at 157, and 184 is a toss up that can be won. Likely to give up bonus at 133, 141, 165, and HWT. Perhaps even 174 if Devine doesn't strap on for 7 minutes.

It was 2018. The stars aligned almost perfectly with Iowa dealing with major illness, a gunshot wound, and the injury in a match they were leading. Damn near had them.
LOL I completely forgot about the gunshot wound deal.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Has there ever been an older lineup than Iowa with all their starters on the mat? Forget the athletic tape and ice...bring on the Ben Gay and Metamucil.
Speaking of old.. Joe Lee Penn State won a hs title in 2017 as a Jr. He skipped his Sr year if I remember correctly to enroll early at PSU. His freshman year was 2020 where he took a redshirt after 2 grey shirt years. Last year was a free year and this year he is still a freshman... after leaving high school back in 2017. This should be his RS Jr/Sr year.

• Wow
Reactions: JM4CY

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Going to this one with my son who just started wrestling this year and another friend and his kid who are Hawk fans. I don't particularly expect it to be close but I'm honestly pretty excited because my son has never really seen a wrestling match and I think he's going to wrestle in his first tourney on 12/11, just the next weekend. I hope this helps get him jacked up.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Going to this one with my son who just started wrestling this year and another friend and his kid who are Hawk fans. I don't particularly expect it to be close but I'm honestly pretty excited because my son has never really seen a wrestling match and I think he's going to wrestle in his first tourney on 12/11, just the next weekend. I hope this helps get him jacked up.
It's an intense atmosphere. They'll enjoy it.