Cy-Hawk Dual

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA

I thought Ian looked like a guy who was cutting weight on Saturday

If Ian truly is going down to 141, does that mean Redding is cutting to 133 again to challenge Ramazan? Ian to 141 this early in the year makes 0 sense to me if his whole offseason goal was to bulk up to 149.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
So if Iowa doesn’t wrestle their starters…. we have a slight chance….. got it. Get fired up!!!

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
So if we take that probables list and assume the best guys on there are going, then I'd say we win 125, 149, 157 and 184. No shot and giving up bonus at 133, 165, 174, and HWT. If Parker goes 141 that's at least an interesting matchup even though Eierman is big favorite there. I am excited to see how Bastida stacks up with Warner from neutral because it could be ugly on the mat. I'm not really giving him much of a shot at a win, but will curious to see what level he truly is on.

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
If Ian truly is going down to 141, does that mean Redding is cutting to 133 again to challenge Ramazan? Ian to 141 this early in the year makes 0 sense to me if his whole offseason goal was to bulk up to 149.
Our weight management continues to baffle me. In season/Out of season. Doesn’t matter…. Baffling. I don’t think we are putting our wrestlers in the best position at times.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Sorry being a Debbie downer on this dual guys. I’m just frustrated there’s a chance that those mouth breathers are potentially gonna be without a couple of their horses and we still are fighting a very steep uphill battle. And I’m still kinda pissed about how this is the only home dual with an opponent of any kind of quality and it’s ******* ToE. I just wanna see us fight and go down swinging if that’s how it goes.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Is it possible he just realized he wasn’t gonna beat Jarrett? I have no idea and am honestly asking for you insiders.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Is it possible he just realized he wasn’t gonna beat Jarrett? I have no idea and am honestly asking for you insiders.
Hopefully as a senior leader he just woke up and thought “WTF am I doing bumping our only other All American out of the line up?”

WhizzerClone

Feb 20, 2020
I had the thought too, but didn’t think it was likely.

But if he ends up at 41, I’m still mad at him for burning Redding’s shirt.
Redding better be making his descent to 33 then. I'm wondering if he is already in process of doing this, he looked a little winded Saturday in his matches. The wins weren't pretty and I hope it was related to the cut but credit to him for getting the job done.

• Agree
Reactions: jkbuff98

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Listening to Dressers interview I got the impression 149 hasn't been decided yet .

I agree. I also wondered if it was his way of adding a bit of gamesmanship to give Iowa another thing to think about knowing that Ian was going to 41 on Sunday.

Crazyape22

Feb 22, 2019
Hopefully as a senior leader he just woke up and thought “WTF am I doing bumping our only other All American out of the line up?”
This is what I don't understand! It makes no sense. And quite frankly, its bs. And why Dresser is allowing it, is unbelievable. No, I do not believe there has been a wrestle-off. I don't think Parker is backing down going 49.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
I just have a really hard time seeing Ian making 141 comfortably. That's a huge cut from how he looked pre-season. As far as him getting a sweat going on Saturday like coach said in the Chalk Talk he was dinged up with a rib injury. If he absolutely had to go he could have but there really wasn't any reason. Ian was simply going through his meet routine how he always does to get back in the rhythm of things.

Edit to add: And as far as this 49 controversy it's beyond me. I don't get it and probably never will. This has been handled well interestingly and not in a good way. If Ian stays at 49 which I think he will you bump Degen out...that's not good. You have Ian go back down then Redding does what? Waste a redshirt? Challenge down to 33?

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
Any possibility this is on TV?

Previous tix holder, now in N.C.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
I just have a really hard time seeing Ian making 141 comfortably. That's a huge cut from how he looked pre-season. As far as him getting a sweat going on Saturday like coach said in the Chalk Talk he was dinged up with a rib injury. If he absolutely had to go he could have but there really wasn't any reason. Ian was simply going through his meet routine how he always does to get back in the rhythm of things.

Edit to add: And as far as this 49 controversy it's beyond me. I don't get it and probably never will. This has been handled well interestingly and not in a good way. If Ian stays at 49 which I think he will you bump Degen out...that's not good. You have Ian go back down then Redding does what? Waste a redshirt? Challenge down to 33?
Wrestling needs to institute a rule like FB where you can wrestle in a dual or two without burning your redshirt. That said, Zac could always get "injured" if Ian decides to go down and applies for a MR. I think that happens quite a bit in these types of situations.

I also think we are being a bit hard on the wrestlers and staff here. Remember that these are both 'super seniors' who didn't have to come back. I imagine KD feels they have earned the right to give it their all at their preferred weight...just as David has earned the right to stay at 57.

Finally, I think Jarred and Ian probably both think they are the best man for the job at 149. Usually with two guys who have trained together for so long, there would be a fairly clear top dog even if they wrestle close matches. With Jarred's funky style perhaps it is closer to a 50/50 split. Who knows?

Edit: An interesting tidbit as I was perusing the rankings the other day. 149 contains Parker, Deegan, Gomez and Storr. Throw in Veerkleen who I believe was committed at one time and that's a lot of guys who ended up at the same weight. Neither here nor there, just thought it was interesting.

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
The jockeying from 133-149 is definitely frustrating. It feels like this should have been worked out before the dual season.

Back in a Sept. interview, Parker said moving back down to 141 was a possibility, he just felt better/stronger up at 149. Which is sort of stating the obvious. I have no problem Parker giving it a go up at 149, but it seems like there was time to work this all out in the room and/or the early opens. I have no idea the ins and outs of everything that goes on behind the scenes, but Parker at 141, Degen at 149 obviously gives the team its best look.

As for Redding's redshirt, maybe Swiderski can come in and wrestle as a true frosh and he and Redding can trade redshirt seasons? Hell, I don't know.

Here's hoping we see Parker come out of the tunnel at 141 and give Eierman a run for his money.

• Informative
Reactions: Clone83

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
On another note. This is pretty awesome!

Bring the hype for this dual year in and year out.
Keep it growing.
It's great for the sport.
It's great for the state.

Reactions: Cycsk and Clone83

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
This is what I don't understand! It makes no sense. And quite frankly, its bs. And why Dresser is allowing it, is unbelievable. No, I do not believe there has been a wrestle-off. I don't think Parker is backing down going 49.
i have been critical of this staff’s weight management for 2 years now. That said, what if Parker feels he can’t maintain 141? If the two wrestle off and the winner gets the spot would you feel the same? Your posting on HR appears that you’ve written off ISU altogether but at the end of day wrestlers earn their spots regardless of past performances.

Your HR postings make it appear there are other things going on behind the scenes that are unfair.