Cyclones a contender in 2024

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
What a bunch of Debbie downers in this thread. Yes, CMC’s teams have drastically underachieved, however, ISU now has the equivalent to a B1G west schedule. Wouldn’t shock me if we win 9 regular season games, 10 if we can beat UI

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
What a bunch of Debbie downers in this thread. Yes, CMC’s teams have drastically underachieved, however, ISU now has the equivalent to a B1G west schedule. Wouldn’t shock me if we win 9 regular season games, 10 if we can beat UI
Last year’s team drastically exceeded expectations given the record of the previous year’s team and all the key losses to gambling. We had to be one of the youngest teams in the nation. Yes, the bowl was disappointing, but the development of that team throughout the season was quite remarkable. I agree we have a legit shot at 9 or 10 wins this year. I think a lot of that youth really grows up.

GoClone

Apr 16, 2006
Our season record will largely depend on our place kicking. Success, or lack thereof, will sway our record plus or minus two games from say a reasonable expectation of 7 and 5.

The offense and defense will both basically meet our expectations; that leaves place kicking (a special teams component} as the real wild card to our final record. Nothing new there. It pretty much is that way every season.

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy

dukeebear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 30, 2006
Ames
I hope so, but I am expecting another 7-6 season. Anytime Matt has had expectations he hasn't delivered. I hope he changes that narrative this year, but until that happens I will take the under in high expectation seasons.
Ill take 7 and over, what's the bet?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
People who have written off this season already really haven't looked at the schedule at all. Our 3 toughest games are road games at Iowa, Utah, and Kansas (assuming KU is still as good as they were last year). With this schedule I would be disappointed if we didn't win at least 7 games - and the reason why we're being picked as a sleeper for the CFP is because with a schedule this weak we have a very good chance of finding ourselves in Dallas for an extra game. Not saying it will happen, but the path is there.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I still get a sick feeling in my gut when I think of the lost opportunities from last season. The complete lack of focus/preparation in September and the bowl game still anger me.

1st ISU football season?

They'll be decent/averageish whether it's a successful September or not.