Cyclones a contender in 2024

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Yes. A thousand times YES considering we've never reached that milestone. Maybe our conference is missing some blue blood heavy weights, but we're not exactly the MAC either. 10 wins against the likes of Utah, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, and West Virginia would be quite the achievement.

Thank the footballing gods for that!

• Winner
Reactions: TwinCitiesCy

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
I predict 8-4. Iowa will manhandle us, score will still be within 2 tds, will for sure lose at utah and probably 2 others. Losing to Kansas a 3rd time won’t surprise me.
Would be nice to beat KU all 4 years that Curvey is there

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Nah. Their defense and special teams will. Expect another pick six or a punt return to the house. Our defense will hold up well against their offense, but wear down after four quarters and eventually give up a late score.
Maybe, although that’s what happened in 21 and 23. I guess we do seem to play Iowa worse at Jack Trice, so maybe it will be better at Kinnick.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
I'm glad he mentioned the ULM transfer we brought in. Nobody on CF seems to be talking about him. This was a signing that I was very excited about and think this guy will make our defensive line actually put half an ounce of pressure on other quarterbacks.

Koala

Jan 4, 2024
Maybe, although that’s what happened in 21 and 23. I guess we do seem to play Iowa worse at Jack Trice, so maybe it will be better at Kinnick.
We've only scored a combined 16 points in 3 games there, I think we forget that since our only win happened there.

• Sad
Reactions: Acylum

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
I predict 8-4. Iowa will manhandle us, score will still be within 2 tds, will for sure lose at utah and probably 2 others. Losing to Kansas a 3rd time won’t surprise me.
Not sure what you saw from Iowa's offense that make you think they will "manhandle" Iowa State. With a true freshman quarterback playing in his second college game and new running backs last year they played with a team that went 10-4

Reactions: Aclone

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Anytime Matt has had expectations he hasn't delivered.
That would be…once. And historically, junior dominated teams that overachieved tend to take a step back as seniors.

A. This team was not “high achievers” last year.

B. It is also not overwhelmingly senior dominated—especially as much as the ‘21 team.

C. There are those of us with hopes, but the early polls I’ve seen have us what, fifth in the conference? That’s not exactly “high expectations”.

That said, this team has more talent as a whole than the ‘20 team—and it’s not even particularly close.

Reactions: ribsnwhiskey

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
That would be…once. And historically, junior dominated teams that overachieved tend to take a step back as seniors.

A. This team was not “high achievers” last year.

B. It is also not overwhelmingly senior dominated—especially as much as the ‘21 team.

C. There are those of us with hopes, but the early polls I’ve seen have us what, fifth in the conference? That’s not exactly “high expectations”.

That said, this team has more talent as a whole than the ‘20 team—and it’s not even particularly close.

Can you expound on that? I’d love to know your thought process. Maybe break it down by position group.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
For all the people complaining about the team failing when they have high expectations the article in the OP says surprise contenders, which by definition would mean we DON'T have high expectations. Not from a national perspective anyways. So relax. This isn't 2021. We aren't going to be a dark horse national title contender or anything. We won't even be ranked going into the season.

People including voters who expected some great season in 2021 weren't paying attention to how 2020's success came to be.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I'm glad he mentioned the ULM transfer we brought in. Nobody on CF seems to be talking about him. This was a signing that I was very excited about and think this guy will make our defensive line actually put half an ounce of pressure on other quarterbacks.
Man, I don’t know. He’s only 6’0. I’m just not sure how that plays at this level.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
We’re a contender in that I’d give us 3rd or 4th best odds for Big 12 and that gets us in the playoff now. Arizona being gutted helps that, one less team clearly starting with higher expectations than ISU.

Help Support Us

Become a patron