Cyclones a contender in 2024

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Can you expound on that? I’d love to know your thought process. Maybe break it down by position group.
I heard you. Started to break a comparison down in detail, stayed up half the night, almost finished it this morning—and realized no one would want to read that. Lol.

So, here you go.

QB
Depth and talent depth is better now than just Brock and true freshmen Hunter Dekkers and Aidan Bouman.

At the very least, JJ has more time in the system. If Dekkers and Moberly equate at the exact same stage, Tanner Hughes > Aidan Bouman for that same “time in system”, if nothing else.

Darn good thing Brock wasn’t out.

RB
‘20 wound up being just Breece, with Kene getting a little over 300 yards. I feel like Abu and Carson will match that, even without accounting for AJ Harris, Dylan Lee and transfer Jaylon Jackson.

Better depth.

F
We go from Dylan Soehner and Jared Rus to Stevo Klotz and Gabe Burkle. A wash as blockers, Klotz is probably more athletic of the two starters. Burkle ahead of Rus at the same stage. For that matter, Keaton Roskop is probably where Rus was.

Better talent and depth.

TE
Charlie and Chase, with Easton a distant…fourth. Ben Brahmer matches (or may exceed) Charlie. Tyler Moore is solid, Andrew Keller coming off injury…oh, and frosh Cooper Alexander (already on campus) is a natural, may be a shorter Brahmer.

Better depth.

WR
This one isn’t really much of a comparison. This was all X, with minimal contributions from Sean Shaw, Landon Akers and Tarique Milton.

Jaylin and Jayden already put the ‘24 group well ahead, and either Isaiah Alston or Beni Ngoyi are likely to add a third note to the chorus. If not both. Daniel Jackson is solid, Rocco says Jason Essex is ready, and Michael Parkes, Kai Black, Dominic Overby and Brett Eskildsen all have more talent and athleticism than their counterparts on the ‘20 roster…not named Darien Porter. Who wound up at corner anyway.

That got long, so…

OL
The ‘20 group was solid. Say what else you will about them, even so they barely made it through the season by the skin of their teeth—after losing Downing, then Remsburg. That’s as far as depth went.

This year’s team has five returning starters, a more athletic LT than Sean Foster (one way or another), two additions with a good chance to start, another who was likely to start last year before injury, another redshirt in Buhr just for fun—then five solid freshmen.

Better talent and depth overall.

DL
The DL was Jaquan and Will, with help from Enyi and Zach Petersen, with more or less “nose guard by committee” through the season.

TO is ahead of Enyi at the same stage with support from Trent Jones, nose tackle is way better in Singleton and Orange (and likely Hawk), while the rush end spot has four candidates—two with athleticism around the level of McDonald’s.

Plus more guys. Better depth of talent across the board.

LB
Likely the one spot that ‘20 seems ahead for starters, with Rose, Vance and Hummel…until you consider where those three were at going into ‘20. Then McLaughlin, Sadowsky, Bacon, Imming & Co are in a lot better position than one might think—with far better depth than just Vaughn, Horne and Davis.

Will be interesting to look back in January to see how this one shakes out.

DB
The ‘20 group was solid and veteran, with a freshman standout in Isheem Young, but shaky at one corner (Young and Kyle).

The ‘24 group is solid and veteran, with a question right now at corner. Oh, except that the candidates for that spot are at least as athletic, and longer and taller than their counterparts.

And the guys at the other spots are also ahead athletically to ‘20…though Johnson/Purchase may be a wash.

Depth was Arnold Azunna, Kym-Mani King and DJ Miller. No offense to those guys, but the numbers, size and athleticism are all better now.

Special Teams
The big difference here is, no one is going to beat Kene at KR. Jaylin is better at PR than a rarely used Tarique, and Tyler Perkins is much better than a steady Joe Rivera. And one benefit of the Portal is that CMC has proven he can find someone at least as good as Assalley…though maybe that someone is a returning player. We’ll see.

My point being that while talent is improved at least marginally amongst most of the starters, the talent depth is what is such a huge difference.

I guess we’re going to see.

Hope that answers your question.

cytown

Aug 8, 2012
Naperville, IL
I hope so, but I am expecting another 7-6 season. Anytime Matt has had expectations he hasn't delivered. I hope he changes that narrative this year, but until that happens I will take the under in high expectation seasons.
9-3 at worst next year. Realistic shot at 10+. Should have got that Brock’s senior year but the schedule is much more manageable now.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
This year will speak volumes about the direction of the program. Return pretty much everyone, last year’s youth has had time, reps, and offseason to develop, perceived increase in recruiting should peak out, and it’s arguably our weakest schedule since the Big 12 North days.

While you always need to keep in check several realities about Iowa State and what historical success looks like, anything under 7 wins with everything outlined above would be pretty debilitating - something I’ve never said going into a season before. 7 wins should be relatively easy given the tangibles and turnover at the competition. 8 wins would be a good season given our history. 9 would be great.

I’ll never predict 9-10 wins as an expectation as we still lack the depth and overall talent to be a 9+ win program year after year. But that should be attainable every 3-4 years with the new scheduling if our recruiting truly increases at the position by position level (so far it hasn’t as I’ve outlined repeatedly with hard stats from the past 10 years).

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Maybe, although that’s what happened in 21 and 23. I guess we do seem to play Iowa worse at Jack Trice, so maybe it will be better at Kinnick.

The win at Iowa in '22 wasn't much better. Worse in some ways like the blocked punt. ISU just won somehow.

• Agree
Reactions: awd4cy

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
All of their success comes in years they don’t play the Big 10 powers.
I love how in 2002 when they actually won some big games (won @ Penn State and @ Michigan, undefeated in Big 10), they were kept from an undefeated regular season and likely national championship birth because they lost at home to a .500 Iowa State team.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
9-3 at worst next year. Realistic shot at 10+. Should have got that Brock’s senior year but the schedule is much more manageable now.
A breakout year like that would help Campbell a bunch on the recruiting front. Once a program has settled in after a few seasons it's hard to elevate it again.

Reactions: Jer

cytown

Aug 8, 2012
Naperville, IL
A breakout year like that would help Campbell a bunch on the recruiting front. Once a program has settled in after a few seasons it's hard to elevate it again.
I’ve been impressed with what he’s bringing in. Would certainly boost us in-state and across the Midwest even further.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I love how in 2002 when they actually won some big games (won @ Penn State and @ Michigan, undefeated in Big 10), they were kept from an undefeated regular season and likely national championship birth because they lost at home to a .500 Iowa State team.
And they didn’t play the juggernaut Ohio State team that won it all

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Good lord, Campbell had like 2 disappointing seasons, and 1 of those would be considered "good" in a historical context. WTF is up with the attitude in this thread?
This illustrates the low level of expectations we have when getting to 6 or 7 wins is our expectation.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Is 10-wins going to feel as good as we think it is now that we're in a watered down conference? It would have been cool to do it during the P5 era. In this P2 era though, it shouldn't be that surprising when/if it happens, and you just know the TOE fans will try to piss in our cheerios about it.
If we get 10 wins and the league isn’t great, of course they will. Just like most people outside their fan base did in theirs with their joke division.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I heard you. Started to break a comparison down in detail, stayed up half the night, almost finished it this morning—and realized no one would want to read that. Lol.

So, here you go.

QB
Depth and talent depth is better now than just Brock and true freshmen Hunter Dekkers and Aidan Bouman.

At the very least, JJ has more time in the system. If Dekkers and Moberly equate at the exact same stage, Tanner Hughes > Aidan Bouman for that same “time in system”, if nothing else.

Darn good thing Brock wasn’t out.

RB
‘20 wound up being just Breece, with Kene getting a little over 300 yards. I feel like Abu and Carson will match that, even without accounting for AJ Harris, Dylan Lee and transfer Jaylon Jackson.

Better depth.

F
We go from Dylan Soehner and Jared Rus to Stevo Klotz and Gabe Burkle. A wash as blockers, Klotz is probably more athletic of the two starters. Burkle ahead of Rus at the same stage. For that matter, Keaton Roskop is probably where Rus was.

Better talent and depth.

TE
Charlie and Chase, with Easton a distant…fourth. Ben Brahmer matches (or may exceed) Charlie. Tyler Moore is solid, Andrew Keller coming off injury…oh, and frosh Cooper Alexander (already on campus) is a natural, may be a shorter Brahmer.

Better depth.

WR
This one isn’t really much of a comparison. This was all X, with minimal contributions from Sean Shaw, Landon Akers and Tarique Milton.

Jaylin and Jayden already put the ‘24 group well ahead, and either Isaiah Alston or Beni Ngoyi are likely to add a third note to the chorus. If not both. Daniel Jackson is solid, Rocco says Jason Essex is ready, and Michael Parkes, Kai Black, Dominic Overby and Brett Eskildsen all have more talent and athleticism than their counterparts on the ‘20 roster…not named Darien Porter. Who wound up at corner anyway.

That got long, so…

OL
The ‘20 group was solid. Say what else you will about them, even so they barely made it through the season by the skin of their teeth—after losing Downing, then Remsburg. That’s as far as depth went.

This year’s team has five returning starters, a more athletic LT than Sean Foster (one way or another), two additions with a good chance to start, another who was likely to start last year before injury, another redshirt in Buhr just for fun—then five solid freshmen.

Better talent and depth overall.

DL
The DL was Jaquan and Will, with help from Enyi and Zach Petersen, with more or less “nose guard by committee” through the season.

TO is ahead of Enyi at the same stage with support from Trent Jones, nose tackle is way better in Singleton and Orange (and likely Hawk), while the rush end spot has four candidates—two with athleticism around the level of McDonald’s.

Plus more guys. Better depth of talent across the board.

LB
Likely the one spot that ‘20 seems ahead for starters, with Rose, Vance and Hummel…until you consider where those three were at going into ‘20. Then McLaughlin, Sadowsky, Bacon, Imming & Co are in a lot better position than one might think—with far better depth than just Vaughn, Horne and Davis.

Will be interesting to look back in January to see how this one shakes out.

DB
The ‘20 group was solid and veteran, with a freshman standout in Isheem Young, but shaky at one corner (Young and Kyle).

The ‘24 group is solid and veteran, with a question right now at corner. Oh, except that the candidates for that spot are at least as athletic, and longer and taller than their counterparts.

And the guys at the other spots are also ahead athletically to ‘20…though Johnson/Purchase may be a wash.

Depth was Arnold Azunna, Kym-Mani King and DJ Miller. No offense to those guys, but the numbers, size and athleticism are all better now.

Special Teams
The big difference here is, no one is going to beat Kene at KR. Jaylin is better at PR than a rarely used Tarique, and Tyler Perkins is much better than a steady Joe Rivera. And one benefit of the Portal is that CMC has proven he can find someone at least as good as Assalley…though maybe that someone is a returning player. We’ll see.

My point being that while talent is improved at least marginally amongst most of the starters, the talent depth is what is such a huge difference.

I guess we’re going to see.

Hope that answers your question.

I thought you were nuts, but I think I might buy the assertion based on depth.

Only major disagreement I have is at LB. Even coming into ‘20 that group was coming off a good season as a unit. Last years unit struggled mightily. If they match the 20 group that would be a huge leap.

As for RB, we will see. Sama obviously had some impressive plays and games and could be big-time. Hansen can block and catch, and has the speed, but I will be cautiously optimistic.

I really love this team and roster. And the staff has built great depth. I don’t think the top line talent is quite at the 20 level, but it is close, and is much deeper.

I like your analysis.

• Friendly

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I thought you were nuts, but I think I might buy the assertion based on depth.

Only major disagreement I have is at LB. Even coming into ‘20 that group was coming off a good season as a unit. Last years unit struggled mightily. If they match the 20 group that would be a huge leap.

As for RB, we will see. Sama obviously had some impressive plays and games and could be big-time. Hansen can block and catch, and has the speed, but I will be cautiously optimistic.

I really love this team and roster. And the staff has built great depth. I don’t think the top line talent is quite at the 20 level, but it is close, and is much deeper.

I like your analysis.
Yeah, LB was in competition last year with the OL for worst group we had. Pay attention to their tackles outside of blitzes, many were downfield from behind after they took poor angles that would have resulted in losses or short gains. They couldn't set an edge if their life depended on it. The DBs erased a lot of mistakes from these guys. We need a MAJOR step up in this unit for the defense to be dominating again.

Offense will hinge on the Oline development.