Cyclones in the NFL - 2020 - 2021 season.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
The regular season wrapped up with some ex-Cyclones on opposite sides of the field. The Packers beat the Bears but Lazard and Montgomery both made contributions.

David Montgomery didn't have much daylight when he was running but the Bears stuck with the running game, unlike earlier in the season (presumably to try to keep the ball out of Aaron Rodgers' hands). David finished with 22 rushes for 69 yards and, especially in the 2nd half, caught a lot of passes in check-downs and screens. He finished with 9 catches for 63 yards.

For the season, David tied for 5th in rushing yards in the NFL (if the text below is too small, he had 247 rushes for 1070 yards):
1609770698254.png

He also ended up with impressive numbers receiving: 54 receptions for 438 yards and 2 TDs.

Lazard last night caught 2 passes, both in a late drive in the 4th quarter, for a total of 17 yards. Like last game, both catches resulted in first downs. His 2nd one - 14 yards - looked like it might end up as a TD but he got his feet tripped up by a tackler to go down inside the 10. It seems to me that Rodgers doesn't look for him as much when he's got a healthy group of WRs and Davante Adam is clearly - and rightly - his favorite target.

For the year, Allen ended up with 10 games played, 33 catches, 451 yards and 3 TDs. He also rushed 2x for 17 yards. He played 16 games the year before but was only on special teams for a good chunk of the season and ended up with similar receiving numbers this year compared to last (35 catches, 477 yards).

Both guys are on playoff teams so we have at least 1 more chance to see them play.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Here is the pertinent quote:

Daniel from Los Angeles, CA
Was re-watching the Week 17 finale highlights. Allen Lazard seems like a great teammate. When Dominique Dafney spiked the ball after his first career TD, Lazard immediately followed it to catch it to give back to him. His demeanor reminds me of Jordy, and the world could always use more Jordys.

What doesn't get talked nearly enough about with any of the Packers' skill-position players – even Davante Adams to an extent – is you don't have anybody clamoring to get the ball. It's about the team and Lazard perfectly embodies that selfless mentality. Lazard has had some big statistical games in a Packers uniform but he's also been a good complementary player at times and a model teammate. You can never have enough Allen Lazards on your football team.

Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I came across this info on the former Jomal Wiltz (Jamal Perry); it looks like he'll be going to training camp at least with the Dolphins again. The Fins just signed a free agent CB so I doubt he's guaranteed to stick with MIami for a 3rd season:

The Dolphins have moved to retain three exclusive rights free agents, tendering cornerback Nik Needham, linebacker Calvin Munson, and cornerback Jamal Perry.

Perry spent time with the Eagles and Patriots before signing with the Dolphins in 2019. He’s appeared in 27 games over the last two seasons, with seven starts. In 2020, he recorded 26 total tackles and one pass defensed.

Link to article: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...as-nik-needham-calvin-munson-and-jamal-perry/

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Final rosters aren't due until like a week before the first game.

Really? Why?

He was our version of MCaffe Jr in that he found himself in scuffles in most games. Of course he contributed statistically though. I wouldn't blame fans of other teams for being annoyed by him.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
He was our version of MCaffe Jr in that he found himself in scuffles in most games. Of course he contributed statistically though. I wouldn't blame fans of other teams for being annoyed by him.

right, but I didn't even know his name until today. I do know who Georges Niang is though...
EUBT4bRU4AEVrJ1.jpg

Reactions: VeloClone

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
right, but I didn't even know his name until today. I do know who Georges Niang is though...
EUBT4bRU4AEVrJ1.jpg

Everybody loves Georges though. How could you not? He's the nicest guy on the planet.

I mean a guy who humbly nicknamed himself the mini-van is not ideal villain material.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Imo there's a difference in what Niang did vs. the Frans.

Niang would just mess with people like he was on a playground court, whereas Fran Jr. actually gets physical, stares people down, gets T'd up consistently, etc.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Imo there's a difference in what Niang did vs. the Frans.

Niang would just mess with people like he was on a playground court, whereas Fran Jr. actually gets physical, stares people down, gets T'd up consistently, etc.

If somebody hates Georges it's out of some petty jealous place. KU fans didn't hate him and he beat them plenty of times.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Not ideal for Matt Leo to have missed a lot of training camp:

The Eagles have gotten some depth back for their defensive line.

Philadelphia announced Monday that the club has activated Matt Leo off the reserve/COVID-19 list.

Leo has been with the Eagles since last season. Hailing from Australia, he spent 2020 on Philadelphia’s practice squad as a part of the NFL’s international player pathway program — though he did play three seasons at Iowa State.

With Leo’s return, the Eagles have now cleared all players from their COVID-19 list.

Link: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/08/09/eagles-activate-matt-leo-off-covid-19-list/

I read that Hakeem Butler has been catching some balls in training camp. Let's hope he sticks with the Eagles.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Nice mention of Kene Nwangku yesterday from the Star-Tribune:

...and rookie fourth-round draft pick Kene Nwangwu is the most eye-catching newbie on the team. One of the fastest players on the team, he's also a smooth runner with quickness, good vision and smart, decisive cuts.

Link: https://www.startribune.com/five-ob...gs-camp-defense-gets-the-last-word/600086389/

I've wondered what kind of full-time role - and stats - Kene could've had at ISU had Breece Hall not exploded. He was a great teammate, clearly.