Cyclones in the NFL - 2020 - 2021 season.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Imo there's a difference in what Niang did vs. the Frans.

Niang would just mess with people like he was on a playground court, whereas Fran Jr. actually gets physical, stares people down, gets T'd up consistently, etc.

I think that says possesses real anger/rage.

Inherited, most likely.

• Agree
Reactions: madguy30

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Nice mention of Kene Nwangku yesterday from the Star-Tribune:

...and rookie fourth-round draft pick Kene Nwangwu is the most eye-catching newbie on the team. One of the fastest players on the team, he's also a smooth runner with quickness, good vision and smart, decisive cuts.

Link: https://www.startribune.com/five-ob...gs-camp-defense-gets-the-last-word/600086389/

I've wondered what kind of full-time role - and stats - Kene could've had at ISU had Breece Hall not exploded. He was a great teammate, clearly.
Good to hear this about Kene. I had heard a lot, maybe too much, about Smith-Marsette and almost nothing on kene so far out of Vikings camp

Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Don't look for any of the Cyclones to be with the Eagles game day squad, if NBC Philly has any insight (and I'm not 100% sure about Butler's change back to WR):

DE JaQuan Bailey: There have been a few times where Bailey has shown some pass rushing prowess; his best rep came when he got a “sack” on Nick Mullens. But he actually hit the ball out of his hand. That’s a no-no.

WR Hakeem Butler: The tight end experiment is over and Butler is now back at receiver. I was intrigued because I really liked him as a fourth-round pick a few years ago, but he has struggled in camp. He has been a disappointment.

DE Matt Leo: The Eagles have an international exemption for Leo (he’s the 91st player on the roster), who was just activated off the COVID-19 list on Monday. He won’t be on the team but they’ll keep trying to develop the 29-year-old Aussie.

Date: 8/9/21. Link: https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelp...ning-camp-2021-analysis-all-90-players-roster

• Informative
Reactions: LLCoolCY

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
Don't look for any of the Cyclones to be with the Eagles game day squad, if NBC Philly has any insight (and I'm not 100% sure about Butler's change back to WR):

DE JaQuan Bailey: There have been a few times where Bailey has shown some pass rushing prowess; his best rep came when he got a “sack” on Nick Mullens. But he actually hit the ball out of his hand. That’s a no-no.

WR Hakeem Butler: The tight end experiment is over and Butler is now back at receiver. I was intrigued because I really liked him as a fourth-round pick a few years ago, but he has struggled in camp. He has been a disappointment.

DE Matt Leo: The Eagles have an international exemption for Leo (he’s the 91st player on the roster), who was just activated off the COVID-19 list on Monday. He won’t be on the team but they’ll keep trying to develop the 29-year-old Aussie.

Date: 8/9/21. Link: https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelp...ning-camp-2021-analysis-all-90-players-roster

Butler should have stayed

• Agree
Reactions: cyrocksmypants

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
JaQuan Bailey is starting the 2nd half in the Eagles' pre-season game vs. the Steelers.

I don't think Hakeem Butler got any first-half reps. The announcer said they drafted 5 WRs in the last 3 years so it's going to next-to-impossible for him to make that roster.

EDIT: JaQuan shook his blocker and got a big TFL.

Reactions: HFCS

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
JaQuan Bailey is starting the 2nd half in the Eagles' pre-season game vs. the Steelers.

I don't think Hakeem Butler got any first-half reps. The announcer said they drafted 5 WRs in the last 3 years so it's going to next-to-impossible for him to make that roster.

EDIT: JaQuan shook his blocker and got a big TFL.
I am not sure why Hakeem has struggled so badly. He got off to the worst possible start as a rookie with that season ending injury early in camp. Seems like AZ never really gave him a fair shake after that. Since then though, I'm not really sure if it's just something between the ears or if maybe his game just doesn't transition well to the NFL. He's a big body and could physically dominate DB's at the collegiate level, but much harder to do that at the NFL level obviously.

• Agree
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I am not sure why Hakeem has struggled so badly. He got off to the worst possible start as a rookie with that season ending injury early in camp. Seems like AZ never really gave him a fair shake after that. Since then though, I'm not really sure if it's just something between the ears or if maybe his game just doesn't transition well to the NFL. He's a big body and could physically dominate DB's at the collegiate level, but much harder to do that at the NFL level obviously.
He's stuck between positions. The Eagles can't figure out if they should have him in the TE or WR room.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I watched much of the 2nd half of the Eagles' pre-season game to see if there were any signs of Cyclone life. Hakeem Butler played the 2nd half but the offense couldn't sustain a drive and the defense couldn't get off the field. So there was nothing thrown his way. I was hoping he'd be on punt coverage or something but I didn't see that.

I don't claim expertise on football evaluations but JaQuan Bailey didn't exact jump off the screen at the viewer. He played almost the entire 2nd half at left DE against Pittsburgh's 2s and 3s and got 1 TFL and 1 other tackle. They didn't rotate the D-line much and they looked gassed most of the 2nd half, which obviously was a factor. Other than the 1 play in which he stuffed a RB, he didn't put much pressure on the backfield. He looked almost under-sized to me and didn't really seem to have technique, strength, size, or speed to escape his blocker on most plays. Frankly, no one on the d-line in the 2nd half did much for the Eagles but I can't think that he helped himself in that game.

I didn't see Matt Leo; I'm sure he didn't play (and they could've used some fresh bodies on the d-line in the 2nd half).

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Miami (Jamal Perry) vs. Chicago (D. Montgomery) today.

DM carried just once for 3 yards.

The former Jomal Wiltz had 2 tackles, both solo. It seems like one of his tackles was a drive-ending one:

The Dolphins forced a three-and-out from the Bears, with Griffin continuing his strong play and Jamal Perry crushing running back Artavis Pierce on the third-down play to force the punt. (Link: https://www.thephinsider.com/2021/8...-chicago-bears-recap-reactions-tua-tagovailoa)

I found this note about a WED joint practice with the Dolphins + Bears and Jamal Perry got a pick: Safety Jamal Perry pulled down an interception while Eric Rowe provided tight coverage all week

The Dolphins have added a lot of depth in the D-backfield so if Jamal Perry makes the team, it will be well-earned.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Chuck Bruce scored a TD, flipped channels about 2 minutes later to watch Kene with a 45-yard (approx.) KO return.

Announcers still calling him "Wong-Woo" -- wish we could get a definitive clarification!