Cytown Update

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The mall here in Bloomington MN next to the airport has done pretty good. Just sayin.

I think malls that can operate as a 'town center' like jordan creek, or outdoor malls, have both done decently well.

A lot of malls that have gone under are either outdated concepts, in former areas of suburban growth that are no longer the nice areas they used to be, or both.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
The ‘new mall’ proposal and opposition was over 20 years ago. They were trying to bring some development to the area east of I-35 and 13th Street and to try and grow the economic and tax base in Story County as opposed to continually losing it to Des Moines and Polk County. Who knows what kind of impact a development in that area would’ve done for overall growth. God knows Ames, much like ISU, has done plenty over the years to hinder its’ own progress. Meanwhile, Des Moines and the burbs are booming. At least in the case of CyTown, Pollard is attempting to buck that trend.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
The ‘new mall’ proposal and opposition was over 20 years ago. They were trying to bring some development to the area east of I-35 and 13th Street and to try and grow the economic and tax base in Story County as opposed to continually losing it to Des Moines and Polk County. Who knows what kind of impact a development in that area would’ve done for overall growth. God knows Ames, much like ISU, has done plenty over the years to hinder its’ own progress. Meanwhile, Des Moines and the burbs are booming. At least in the case of CyTown, Pollard is attempting to buck that trend.

I'm curious how Jordan Creek would have been impacted if the Ames Mall would have happened before it.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I'm curious how Jordan Creek would have been impacted if the Ames Mall would have happened before it.
I think it still would be a strong presence. I think people forget it's Dallas County vs Polk.
I thought for years DMU should have acquired Valley West thru a partnership with the city on some abatements to remodel. That really could have been a shot in the arm to that area.

• Informative
Reactions: IASTATE07

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
The mall here in Bloomington MN next to the airport has done pretty good. Just sayin.
I don't think the Mall of America is a great barometer for how other, much smaller, malls are doing around the country.

That said, as others have already mentioned, the "town center" and outdoor outlet type malls seem to be doing well by offering a pleasant shopping experience and not relying on a few anchor stores to shoulder a lot of the financial load.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
We already have one half empty mall, that’s plenty.
I was for the new mall back then. It was an outdoor mall and would bring some big box stores. I still think it would have done pretty well and brought people off the interstate. But, they have developed some off of south 16th, which helps.

The other thing that annoyed me was that they tried to pass a bill that would renovate Scheman. No new local taxes, just an additional hotel tax. That would help get bigger conventions to town. Residents voted it down. So short sighted. The city overall should see the benefit of investing in Scheman and Stephens. Those two places if they are up to date, can bring in a lot of money to the city.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Honestly, I am still very surprised at the Mall of America's popularity after 30+ years. They still average 40 million visitors a year. That's crazy.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonsin

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I was for the new mall back then. It was an outdoor mall and would bring some big box stores. I still think it would have done pretty well and brought people off the interstate. But, they have developed some off of south 16th, which helps.

The other thing that annoyed me was that they tried to pass a bill that would renovate Scheman. No new local taxes, just an additional hotel tax. That would help get bigger conventions to town. Residents voted it down. So short sighted. The city overall should see the benefit of investing in Scheman and Stephens. Those two places if they are up to date, can bring in a lot of money to the city.
I believe the developer for the 13th St mall was even going to pay for the infrastructure and wasn't holding the city's feet to the fire that bad.

Recently, I had thought Mills Fleet Farm wanted a store in that area.

wintersmd

Jul 2, 2014
I live on the SE side in Ames, along Duff. Looks like the city put in some fire hydrants south on Duff just past Ken Merrell just across the street from the SukUp golf training center. I hope they put in a Fareway. That is all we are missing on that end.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Wasn't there a shady person behind the proposal of the build-out of Scheman into a larger convention facility?

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

The 2% hotel/motel tax increase was for Hilton (1999). That was a 73% no on about 5,000 votes (15% turnout).

"I think the election loss supports the status quo. We [the city and the university] make no progress together." --Murray Blackwelder, 1999

Scheman (2014) was a bond issue that would have split the renovation cost 50/50 ($19M each) between ISU and the City. That was a 63% no on about 5,000 votes (12% turnout). The City had decided that the way to pay for the bond was a property tax increase, which made it an immediate "no" for many people.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frak

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Main Street businesses coalesced in opposition to that. A lot of the old money in town was very opposed to a new mall deterring people from the overpriced shops on Main Street. I have nothing against them specifically, but they definitely placed their interests above the interests of the community.
And Ames now has a thriving downtown and not another **** hole mall full of chain stores and restaurants that suck.

I find the anti growth segment of Ames annoying, but this example was a win for the community. Ames is much better off with a vibrant downtown and no second mall.

cyco2000

Nov 5, 2007
And Ames now has a thriving downtown and not another **** hole mall full of chain stores and restaurants that suck.

I find the anti growth segment of Ames annoying, but this example was a win for the community. Ames is much better off with a vibrant downtown and no second mall.
So you think a second mall would have killed downtown? I sure don't see that. More people to Ames can help another area in Ames - it isn't always a scarcity mindset. Look at Ankeny - their old downtown is flourishing even after Prairie Trail's popularity. I don't know that the old mall would have made it, but I think it would have only made downtown better. And the increase to property taxes, as well as a developer paying for infrastructure expansion east of the interstate would have generated more growth.

But alas, we'll never know.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
The final version of the CyTown MOU was on the City Council agenda last night.

These items were already in the documents, but I don't think drew much attention:
*Traffic signal at University/Center Dr
*Traffic signal at Beach/Cessna/Jack Trice Way
*Realignment of the Beach/Center/Greeley intersection

...all of which have to be done at/by specific points during CyTown development.

Reactions: Cyclone06

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
The final version of the CyTown MOU was on the City Council agenda last night.

These items were already in the documents, but I don't think drew much attention:
*Traffic signal at University/Center Dr
*Traffic signal at Beach/Cessna/Jack Trice Way
*Realignment of the Beach/Center/Greeley intersection

...all of which have to be done at/by specific points during CyTown development.

The City of Ames has never had a problem that they felt couldn’t be solved by adding yet another stop light. However, these ideas all seem good, and possibly 20+ years overdue.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron