Dan Winters leaving WHO

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Though I was watching KCCI news tonight on WHO-TV at 6. Metinka was the news anchor and Jason Parkin doing the weather.

Weekend coverage on tv stations is weird. Maybe, just maybe, we don’t need 20 hours of local news a day across 4 channels.

MTEORisu

Jan 15, 2023
Weekend coverage on tv stations is weird. Maybe, just maybe, we don’t need 20 hours of local news a day across 4 channels.
The audience is there & ads can be sold, so there's going to be newscasts. Even at stations where the staffing is extemely thin.

• Winner
Reactions: wxman1

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Since the thread about Sonya got shutdown posting this here.

In the article it was revealed that she was making $120k and 3rd highest pay at the station at the time she got let go so they claim her pay had more to do with it than her age. I'm curious who the 2 higher paid than her is, guessing maybe Erin and at the time possibly Dan Winters? If it were not for her high pay she maybe would of had a stronger case about discrimination.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020

In the article it was revealed that she was making $120k and 3rd highest pay at the station at the time she got let go so they claim her pay had more to do with it than her age. I'm curious who the 2 higher paid than her is, guessing maybe Erin and at the time possibly Dan Winters? If it were not for her high pay she maybe would of had a stronger case about discrimination.

I would guess Ed Wilson and Keith Murphy might be above Sonya. Just based on their roles and tenure. I could be mistaken.

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
I would guess Ed Wilson and Keith Murphy might be above Sonya. Just based on their roles and tenure. I could be mistaken.
I would venture a guess that you'd be right about Ed and Keith. Both are long tenured WHO employees with major roles.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston

At least she found a job with the State at comparable pay.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa

In the article it was revealed that she was making $120k and 3rd highest pay at the station at the time she got let go so they claim her pay had more to do with it than her age. I'm curious who the 2 higher paid than her is, guessing maybe Erin and at the time possibly Dan Winters? If it were not for her high pay she maybe would have had a stronger case about discrimination.
Dang, I thought everyone said the pay isn’t good at these tv stations.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
That would be my other guesses although I would assume the prime time news anchors usually are your highest paid positions. Now that her salary was made public the lay off sounds more justified as for the limited on-air role she had in mostly non-prime time slots they could fill that role with multiple people for less compensation.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Dang, I thought everyone said the pay isn’t good at these tv stations.
Tenure and having started decades ago like those people goes a LONG way. Reporters are still likely starting at or under $40k.

Reactions: MJ29

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
That would be my other guesses although I would assume the prime time news anchors usually are your highest paid positions. Now that her salary was made public the lay off sounds more justified as for the limited on-air role she had in mostly non-prime time slots they could fill that role with multiple people for less compensation.
Her role was significantly larger before her DUI (I think it was a DUI, but there was a mug shot online). At any rate, they kept her on the job but took her face off air as much as possible.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Her role was significantly larger before her DUI (I think it was a DUI, but there was a mug shot online). At any rate, they kept her on the job but took her face off air as much as possible.
She was lucky not to get fired over that probably as 2 WHO13 people got DUI the same weekend actually. To her credit she rehabbed her image and made some big changes after that including doing iron man competitions.

I know someone who was doing a service call next door to her home when she was still married to her ex husband and witnessed a pretty heated fight between the 2. The neighbor he was doing work for told him it was a common occurrence they'd be outside fighting so she had a dark period going on in her life probably around the same time of the DUI probably.

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Saw her at the DSM airport once. She had her triathlon bike and a nice tramp stamp on her lower back. When she turned around though…Yikes! She looked pretty rough. Not nearly all the make up she had on TV, but she was really showing her age.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Saw her at the DSM airport once. She had her triathlon bike and a nice tramp stamp on her lower back. When she turned around though…Yikes! She looked pretty rough. Not nearly all the make up she had on TV, but she was really showing her age.
I'm starting to not like your comments about women who are aging. We don't stay 25 forever, you know.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I'm starting to not like your comments about women who are aging. We don't stay 25 forever, you know.
Sorry about that. It’s the women that want to stay/look 25 forever and will do anything to do it. Be someone you are, not someone else.