DC Extended Universe

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
CulJhiSUkAQ07n4.jpg

Yesterday, Zack Snyder posted a first look of Amber Heard as Mera in The Justice League movie

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
NOT DCEU related, but rather DC TV related. The following is a fun ranking of DC comic book TV shows out there right now:

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/dc_t...ntly-on-air-ranked-from-worst-to-best-a145953

Based on what series and seasons I've seen so far (Arrow 1-3, Flash 1, Preacher 1), I can't say the list looks too far off base outside of Preacher at #2. Personally, that might be my least favorite comic book show DC or Marvel I've watched period, so it would be last on my list. Nevertheless, I've still got Arrow 4, Flash 2, Supergirl 1, and Legends of Tomorrow 1 to catch up soon on Netflix. Both Gotham and Lucifer are still up for debate whether I'll eventually watch them. As of right now, not sure I'll ever have enough interest in IZombie to watch it.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
Has anybody even watched Gotham at all? Would love to hear people's thoughts or advice.

I like Gotham a lot. The main reason why is due to the grittiness of the series which is something I prefer when I watch movies/tv series in the comic book genre. That is why I would probably rank Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy above anything in the Marvel Universe and why I am also a huge fan of Daredevil.

As for Gotham itself the main reason to watch the series is because of the villains. As mentioned above Penguin is pretty big player in the series, and was cast well. The guy who plays the Riddler is also excellent, but it takes some time for the Riddler to develop. Then there are other villains who make cameo appearances throughout the show. I would say that teenager Bruce Wayne is pretty bland, but James Gordon experiences some interesting development throughout the series.

If I were you I wouldn't let the fact that Gotham is a stand alone hold you back from watching the show.

• Informative
Reactions: Triggermv

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I like Gotham a lot. The main reason why is due to the grittiness of the series which is something I prefer when I watch movies/tv series in the comic book genre. That is why I would probably rank Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy above anything in the Marvel Universe and why I am also a huge fan of Daredevil.

As for Gotham itself the main reason to watch the series is because of the villains. As mentioned above Penguin is pretty big player in the series, and was cast well. The guy who plays the Riddler is also excellent, but it takes some time for the Riddler to develop. Then there are other villains who make cameo appearances throughout the show. I would say that teenager Bruce Wayne is pretty bland, but James Gordon experiences some interesting development throughout the series.

If I were you I wouldn't let the fact that Gotham is a stand alone hold you back from watching the show.

Great insight on the show. Thanks. You know what, I think you might have just tipped me over the edge to throw it on my queue. I also like that there is now 2 full seasons on Netflix, so when I get to it, I can really delve in. The hardest part is that I've still got a lot of other shows ahead of it to watch before I get to it, but it will happen eventually. Its absolutely crazy how many great superhero TV shows are available to watch right now. Even I have a hard time keeping up. Also doesn't help that I'm working through the Star Wars universe as well, so I'm like 4 seasons in on The Clone Wars and that alone has a whopping 6 SEASONS!!! Good stuff though. That isn't even mentioning eventually moving on to Star Wars Rebels.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Gotham has been up and down, but I did like last season a lot. Lots of character development and Bruce is coming around. I think Alfred is great and completely a badass.

• Informative

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Gotham has been up and down, but I did like last season a lot. Lots of character development and Bruce is coming around. I think Alfred is great and completely a badass.

Just curious, but what did you think of the DC TV shows rankings list I linked a few posts above? Did you think that was about right?

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
To be honest I havent watched a ton of them. I started watching Flash and Arrow and then fell off. Time constraints. I hope to get back to them soon. I see they put Legends of Tomorrow on Netflix now as well. Gotham is the only DC show Ive committed to at the moment unfortunately.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
The upcoming Flash movie has just lost Rick Famuyiwa now as its director, which is the SECOND director to already step away from that production:

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/d...director-rick-famuyiwa-release-likely-a146417

Talk about a complete mess that movie production has turned into. While I want so much for the DCEU to succeed, there is definitely justifiable reasoning for all the haters to feast out there right now, especially on a studio that wanted their universe to be "Director" led.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
The upcoming Flash movie has just lost Rick Famuyiwa now as its director, which is the SECOND director to already step away from that production:

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/d...director-rick-famuyiwa-release-likely-a146417

Talk about a complete mess that movie production has turned into. While I want so much for the DCEU to succeed, there is definitely justifiable reasoning for all the haters to feast out there right now, especially on a studio that wanted their universe to be "Director" led.

The spin I was reading on this announcement was that it may be a good thing for DC, as Famuyiwa was looking at putting together yet another gritty/dark film which could have hurt just by reputation by making it too similar in tone to BvS and Suicide Squad.

I think Warner Bros. bit off more than they could chew with their spin on the DCEU (and I think they are doing the same with the new Harry Potter/Fantastic Beasts franchise). I still don't think that we will ever get a Shazam! movie, even though the Rock has been cast as Black Adam nor do I think that a live-action Justice League Dark movie will ever happen (although I really hope I'm wrong).

I know it's hindsight, but DC needs to go back to their animated library. Look at cartoons like Justice League, Justice League Unlimited, Teen Titans (not Teen Titans Go!), Young Justice and Batman: The Animated Series. Those were great: they had great characters, plot points/conflict, and best of all they capture that gritty tone that I think the DCEU is trying (and failing) to capture. Warner Bros. should look at those properties and find some stories/inspiration they can adapt for modern theatrical audiences.

• Agree
Reactions: CloniesForLife

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
The spin I was reading on this announcement was that it may be a good thing for DC, as Famuyiwa was looking at putting together yet another gritty/dark film which could have hurt just by reputation by making it too similar in tone to BvS and Suicide Squad.

I think Warner Bros. bit off more than they could chew with their spin on the DCEU (and I think they are doing the same with the new Harry Potter/Fantastic Beasts franchise). I still don't think that we will ever get a Shazam! movie, even though the Rock has been cast as Black Adam nor do I think that a live-action Justice League Dark movie will ever happen (although I really hope I'm wrong).

I know it's hindsight, but DC needs to go back to their animated library. Look at cartoons like Justice League, Justice League Unlimited, Teen Titans (not Teen Titans Go!), Young Justice and Batman: The Animated Series. Those were great: they had great characters, plot points/conflict, and best of all they capture that gritty tone that I think the DCEU is trying (and failing) to capture. Warner Bros. should look at those properties and find some stories/inspiration they can adapt for modern theatrical audiences.
The DC animated stuff is really good. I loved watching all of those.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Really liked this trailer, but probably thought the first one was the better of the two. In the end, what it did do successfully is keep my anticipation pretty high for this movie. In fact, it may be the upcoming comic book movie I'm most looking forward to. Probably its biggest competitor would be Avengers: Infinity War. My only gripe with the trailer was that this one obviously set out to give us a greater idea of the overall plot, which I don't really care for in any trailers. The Batman v Superman trailer with Doomsday was arguably one of the worst ever in those regards. I'd much rather prefer to be surprised, which is why I never watch all the trailers for a movie. In fact, this will be the last Wonder Woman trailer I'll let myself watch and I won't watch this one again either.

Last edited:

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Here's a great read from Forbes magazine about how the success of Doctor Strange could be a good sign for the stand-alone Wonder Woman movie:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...-is-great-news-for-wonder-woman/#694bdea63c31

"Wonder Woman is a World War I-set origin story which serves as an origin story as well as a “How Diana lost her groove” saga which explains her removing herself from humanity for 100 years. Unless Aquaman is really old or there is time travel involved (I just made both of those things up), we won’t be seeing any established characters in the actual onscreen narrative. The selling point of Wonder Woman will be that it’s a stand-alone Wonder Woman movie, sans any present tense “big picture” mythology, previously established superheroes lending a hand (even Ant-Man had a Falcon cameo), or “Yay, these heroes or villains sharing the screen at last!” gimmicks.

Before this weekend, I admit that said stand-alone nature was the film’s biggest weakness regarding marketing/box office/appeal/ etc. In an “everyone into the pool” superhero movie era, a stand-alone superhero origin story may well have been at a comparative disadvantage. That may have been a minor inconvenience, especially if the film was (all due respect) better than the last three DC Films offerings. Fans/audiences have been waiting for a Wonder Woman movie, any Wonder Womanmovie, for decades. That said film would arrive in an era where fans had been spoiled rotten by team-ups and ensembles may well have been countered by its arrival in an era when female-driven blockbusters are still a rare thing."

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
This is a little bit of old news and really just rumor/rumblings, but this has sent the internet a bit ablaze over the DCEU again:

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/batm...movie-is-reportedly-a-mess-but-warner-a146533

Here is my takeaway:

1. I hate these types of rumors because you never know if they are true or not
2. Based on the past few year's track records for these types of movies with rumors, the sad part is that most all of them have turned out to be true to some extent in the end. This is a bit scary.
3. While the brashness of the statement seems harsh, at the same time, based on what Warner Bros has done lately, the sad part is that it doesn't seem too far a stretch of character to believe this
4. If true, stuff like this just makes me angry as I simply feel taken advantage of myself as well as I feel the characters are being taken advantage. It is especially a kick in the face when I'm almost like a sports fan when it comes to this stuff in the way that even if stuff is bad, I still go out there and support the stuff monetarily so that they continue to keep doing this stuff, rooting for the day they will get things turned around and right. I know it is hard to bat .100, but what I want from them at least is a valiant effort to try. So, saying they don't give a **** because they get my money no matter what really is a bad blow.
5. Good news: Ben Affleck has never directed or wrote a bad movie and I don't think he plans to, so I see him not letting this thing proceed until things get corrected
6. Seeing directors leave left and right doesn't help to give me confidence in stuff
7. I still really like Geoff Johns and even if executives at WB suck, hopefully John's can keep things on track
8. Only time will tell on this
9. Wonder Woman also has had some bad rumors surrounding it too as being bad

Last edited:

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
This is a little bit of old news and really just rumor/rumblings, but this has sent the internet a bit ablaze over the DCEU again:

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/batm...movie-is-reportedly-a-mess-but-warner-a146533

Here is my takeaway:

1. I hate these types of rumors because you never know if they are true or not
2. Based on the past few year's track records for these types of movies with rumors, the sad part is that most all of them have turned out to be true to some extent in the end. This is a bit scary.
3. While the brashness of the statement seems harsh, at the same time, based on what Warner Bros has done lately, the sad part is that it doesn't seem too far a stretch of character to believe this
4. If true, stuff like this just makes me angry as I simply feel taken advantage of myself as well as I feel the characters are being taken advantage. It is especially a kick in the face when I'm almost like a sports fan when it comes to this stuff in the way that even if stuff is bad, I still go out there and support the stuff monetarily so that they continue to keep doing this stuff, rooting for the day they will get things turned around and right. I know it is hard to bat .100, but what I want from them at least is a valiant effort to try. So, saying they don't give a **** because they get my money no matter what really is a bad blow.
5. Good news: Ben Affleck has never directed or wrote a bad movie and I don't think he plans to, so I see him not letting this thing proceed until things get corrected
6. Seeing directors leave left and right doesn't help to give me confidence in stuff
7. I still really like Geoff Johns and even if executives at WB suck, hopefully John's can keep things on track
8. Only time will tell on this
9. Wonder Woman also has had some bad rumors surrounding it too as being bad

I like your sports fan analogy. There's something fulfilling about being that fan that stuck through the bad times to witness the turnaround.

As ugly as the rumors are, nobody can honestly be surprised if they are true. They are still in this to make money first and foremost. As a fan, having childhood and nostalgic ties to the characters being portrayed, it makes it tough to accept, though.

As far as Batman goes, I always liked Batman growing up. I was a big fan of the animated series. The stories and dialogue were good. And I loved the Christian Bale Batman trilogy because, again, the stories were good. It wasn't solely about just the characters.

But DC jumped into a new Batman way too quickly for me. I know there is a small window to capitalize on the market along with a smaller window with the actors they have chosen, but they missed so badly on BVS and Suicide Squad that they need to make a strong comeback to bring in new fans. Diehards will likely still show up, but for the rest of the population, the super hero genre is gonna hit a wall soon. I hear it already with some of my friends. Bad movies will just speed that up.

IMO, DC needs to let the CGI and special effects complement the story, not the other way around. I fear that Justice League is going to be a big mess. I think they are going to try to give equal time to too many characters, will end up going over the top and not get anything right. I really hope I'm wrong.

I sorta think Wonder Woman could be a make-or-break movie for DC. People have been brutal, yet forgiving about BVS. I hear grumbles, but I haven't gotten that "jumping ship" feeling from fans. However, if they swing and miss with Wonder Woman, they are going to notice a really nasty backlash. And this is the one character where DC has a distinct advantage over MCU. With this being such a long-awaited movie, combined with their recent sub-par showings, they need to make sure this is done right.

• Agree

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron