DC Extended Universe

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
The saving grace is that this rumor comes from a third-hand source, Brett Easton Ellis (author of American Psycho) who was having dinner with some Movie Execs and THOSE Execs had heard from the WB Execs about the problems with The Batman script. It's kind of like playing telephone - sure there may be some flaws, but are they being embellished the further the rumor is spread? I don't think Ben Affleck's Batman movie is going to compare with The Dark Knight films, but I find it hard to believe that Affleck would allow himself to be connected to another disaster of a comicbook movie.

In positive DC news, they are making Young Justice Season 3!
http://io9.gizmodo.com/its-official-young-justice-is-coming-back-1788676249

• Agree
Reactions: Triggermv

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/just...nt-in-geoff-johns-vision-for-the-dceu-a146631

Another new article of a slightly clueless Warner Bros executive touting how successful financially the DCEU movies have been. Great great. What I don't think they get is that most all of the reason their past two movies made money was due to some decent marketing ploys/trailers (Suicide Squad in particular), combined with what is referred to as the built-up "goodwill" of the characters involved, combined with a release date near the height of the superhero boom (thank Marvel for that). Congratulations, you own the rights to Batman and Superman, so to a large extent, no matter what crap you throw at the screen, people are going to come and see it because they contain those two characters. P.S. you should be thanking Mr. Nolan for a lot of that built up good-will. In fact, in my mind, that movie should easily be a 1 billion dollar plus movie, so the fact that you didn't make over that is somewhat a complete joke and SHOULD be considered a disappointment by you guys. HOWEVER, what these guys need to realize is that "goodwill" only goes so far. If you guys continue to produce crap, even Batman and Superman's goodwill will fade (See Batman and Robin). What you need to realize is that you are simply riding a wave right now that was likely completely built by others. Congrats... good work... not. Nevertheless, if you don't get your crap together and actually do something good that ISN'T somebody else's work, that wave will crash and it will crash quickly...... end rant.

Wait... forgot to throw in there: You greedy bastards!!!! (sorry, now I'm done)

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/just...nt-in-geoff-johns-vision-for-the-dceu-a146631

Another new article of a slightly clueless Warner Bros executive touting how successful financially the DCEU movies have been. Great great. What I don't think they get is that most all of the reason their past two movies made money was due to some decent marketing ploys/trailers (Suicide Squad in particular), combined with what is referred to as the built-up "goodwill" of the characters involved, combined with a release date near the height of the superhero boom (thank Marvel for that). Congratulations, you own the rights to Batman and Superman, so to a large extent, no matter what crap you throw at the screen, people are going to come and see it because they contain those two characters. P.S. you should be thanking Mr. Nolan for a lot of that built up good-will. In fact, in my mind, that movie should easily be a 1 billion dollar plus movie, so the fact that you didn't make over that is somewhat a complete joke and SHOULD be considered a disappointment by you guys. HOWEVER, what these guys need to realize is that "goodwill" only goes so far. If you guys continue to produce crap, even Batman and Superman's goodwill will fade (See Batman and Robin). What you need to realize is that you are simply riding a wave right now that was likely completely built by others. Congrats... good work... not. Nevertheless, if you don't get your crap together and actually do something good that ISN'T somebody else's work, that wave will crash and it will crash quickly...... end rant.

Wait... forgot to throw in there: You greedy bastards!!!! (sorry, now I'm done)

In sports terms, it would be like WB CEO Kevin Tsuijhara (became CEO in 2013) taking over as AD at Texas right after they won 3 National titles in a row, then go on to produce 4 losing football seasons, only to go out and brag about how much money the Texas athletic department makes under his leadership.

Famous-Heath-Ledger-As-The-Joker-Clapping-For-James-Gordon-In-The-Dark-Knight.gif

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
This is DCTV related (not DC Extended Universe), but on Netflix, I've been working through Season 2 of The Flash, Season 4 of Arrow, and Season 1 of Supergirl. I'm following the timeline of things in watching all of them and am about on episode 10 on each one. Based on the timeline, I'll soon be jumping into Legends of Tomorrow as well. With that said, here are my thoughts so far on each one:

Arrow (Season 4): Season 3 was when things started to go downhill by adding too many superheroes and too many bad ones at that. Not everyone needs to become a superhero. Laurel Lance (Black Canary), Red Arrow, and Speedy are all just straight-up horrible in their parts and drag the show down. The only ones other than the Green Arrow I like are Diggle and Sara Lance (White Canary). Season 4 so far is just more of the same, only with going too overboard on the magic thing, which really loses the groundedness of the show that made it once great (Season 2 was the peak). All said and done, this season is really the worst one so far, but it is good to hear that they do start to turn things back around in Season 5.

Flash (Season 2): Great show with a continuation of what made the first season so great, which is good characters, with great actors, with a ton of awesome drama and heart. This is what Arrow once had (not quite to this level though), and has lost. This is definitely the best show of them all still and maybe the best comic book TV show out there right now.

Supergirl (Season 1): This was a show that seemed to get mixed reviews, so I came in a bit skeptical. What I found was a new show that was a lot better than I expected. I'm loving pretty much all the characters so far, particularly Melissa Benoist as Supergirl, Jimmy Olsen, and really loving Maxwell Lord as the Lex Luthor type villain. Yes, the show is a bit heavy-handed with its girl-power simple girl in the big city, under the big lights type thing. However, if you can get past that, there is some good messages with some good drama intertwined in there. Looking forward to Season 2 already with things switched over the the CW, which I think can only be good for this show moving forward.

In the end, if I had to rank them, I'd do Flash at #1, Supergirl at #2 and Arrow at a distant #3.

Reactions: State43

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
On another note, I rewatched BvS and Age of Ultron because they were on HBO. I still maintain BvS was much better than advertised. Age of Ultron was so full of cringe worthy moments, especially in that last battle, I knocked it down my movie rankings even further. Maybe to Thor levels.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
On another note, I rewatched BvS and Age of Ultron because they were on HBO. I still maintain BvS was much better than advertised. Age of Ultron was so full of cringe worthy moments, especially in that last battle, I knocked it down my movie rankings even further. Maybe to Thor levels.

I agree with a lot of this. Age of Ultron for me was more of a pretty big disappointment from the start. I mean, it wasn't terrible, but not even close to on par with the first one. As for Batman vs Superman, I still maintain that it isn't a good movie, but yes, it was decently better the second time around than the first time. I'll still never forget the amount of disappointment I had walking out of that theater afterwards. It was darn near Spider-Man 3 level disappointment.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
I know it's hindsight, but DC needs to go back to their animated library. Look at cartoons like Justice League, Justice League Unlimited, Teen Titans (not Teen Titans Go!), Young Justice and Batman: The Animated Series. Those were great: they had great characters, plot points/conflict, and best of all they capture that gritty tone that I think the DCEU is trying (and failing) to capture. Warner Bros. should look at those properties and find some stories/inspiration they can adapt for modern theatrical audiences.

Teen Titans was a great show. But its run ended, and rightly so. The revenue it generated couldn't justify its continued existence.

Lots of fans of that show seem to rip on Teen Titans Go! by sheer reflex. I was one of them. I don't know if you are one of them, but if so-- TTG! has really come together as an excellent show, and it's pretty much the only reason I watch Cartoon Network anymore. I think you should give it another chance.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Teen Titans was a great show. But its run ended, and rightly so. The revenue it generated couldn't justify its continued existence.

Lots of fans of that show seem to rip on Teen Titans Go! by sheer reflex. I was one of them. I don't know if you are one of them, but if so-- TTG! has really come together as an excellent show, and it's pretty much the only reason I watch Cartoon Network anymore. I think you should give it another chance.

Oh I'm not ragging on Teen Titans Go! I actually like that animation-style and think that plays into attracting a younger audience. I was trying to imply that the "dark" tone that DC should be focusing on for their movies was done really well in Batman:TAS, the original Teen Titans cartoon, and the two Justice League series from the early 2000s. These were shows for kids, but adults could easily watch them too. I feel like the DC movies are too focused on trying to keep adults interested and forget that heroes like Superman were really created for kids.

Reactions: harimad

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Looks like WB is all-in on cranking out as many DCEU movies as possible:

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/comi...ujihara-promises-more-dc-based-movies-a147147

It will be interesting to see what they mean by possibly creating their own streaming service. Would that mean that they may expand the DCEU into television, similar to what Marvel has done with Netflix? Or, does that mean that is where they transition over all their DCTV shows like the Flash, Supergirl, Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow to? Or both? Regardless, I find it intriguing at least.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Looks like WB is all-in on cranking out as many DCEU movies as possible:

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/comi...ujihara-promises-more-dc-based-movies-a147147

It will be interesting to see what they mean by possibly creating their own streaming service. Would that mean that they may expand the DCEU into television, similar to what Marvel has done with Netflix? Or, does that mean that is where they transition over all their DCTV shows like the Flash, Supergirl, Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow to? Or both? Regardless, I find it intriguing at least.

If that AT&T-Time Warner deal goes through, then AT&T would own WB film, TV and animation divisions. WB could soon have a platform (mobile devices) to easily stream their content on.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
If that AT&T-Time Warner deal goes through, then AT&T would own WB film, TV and animation divisions. WB could soon have a platform (mobile devices) to easily stream their content on.

All these companies are trying their best to fully integrate the entire supply chain. Marvel/Disney is rumored to be doing the same thing by purchasing Netflix. If anything, it would be smart move by Disney to diversify themselves, as their reliance on the old cable/satellite package model has resulted in a pretty big beating from cable cutters over the past few years. Their stock price has reflected that fact too. It is really too bad as they have been absolutely killing it on the quality content and box office side of things by setting amazing 2016 combined box office records.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
The Justice League sequel is getting pushed back to make room for Ben Affleck's solo-Batman movie. This could be a good thing as that would push JL2 to 2020 release which was the targeted release for Green Lantern Corps. Maybe they will use JL2 to introduce GL, similar to how JL1 will introduce audiences to Aquaman, Flash and Cyborg.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/12/1...-make-way-for-afflecks-solo-batman-movie?read

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/batm...y-hes-taking-his-time-with-the-batman-a147480

Its interviews like this with Ben Affleck that make me so happy he is currently set to write and direct the solo Batman flick. Currently, I've got near ZERO trust in Warner Brothers executives and their entitled money-grubbing attitude right now for producing movies. They've just got too much of the haha, we own rights to Batman and we'll make a billion dollars on it regardless of whether it is good or not, so screw you fans while we walk to the bank mentality right now. I could be slightly wrong with that, but the way Affleck talks only confirms to me that he is fighting against some internal forces wanted him to just shove something out there. So yes Affleck, do your thing and take your time with it. Know that you've got the fans on your side as well. Lets just hope WB has enough patience to let him do his thing because if they can't make something work, I'll maybe lose all hope.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
I rewatched BvS the other night on HBO for the first time since I saw it in the theater and enjoyed it a lot more the second time. The scene where Batman rescues Martha Kent is probably the best Batman action scene of all time, from any Batman movie.

dawgpound

Retired Billy the Barnstormer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2011
Des Moines, iowa
I rewatched BvS the other night on HBO for the first time since I saw it in the theater and enjoyed it a lot more the second time. The scene where Batman rescues Martha Kent is probably the best Batman action scene of all time, from any Batman movie.

I couldn't agree more with this. Although the movie overall sucked, this scene is the Batman I had been waiting to see.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
IMO it was a huge mistake in BvS to cut out of the movie where Lex Luthor meets Steppenwolf inside the downed Kryptonian ship. Without that scene, the ending with Luthor talking about Darkseid coming makes no sense whatsoever.

• Agree
Reactions: harimad

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines

My wife and I watched it a few weeks ago, it was her first time and my second time, but I watched the Extended Edition first and we were watching the theatrical edition for some reason - I can't believe the differences between the two. The plot doesn't make any sense when watching the theatrical cut, and it makes you wonder why they chose to cut the scenes they did in the first place. My wife was not impressed at all and in fact she said it was the worst superhero movie she's seen (including Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern movie). She said there is no way that Suicide Squad could be worse than this - we'll find out soon as we'll pick it up on Blu-Ray some time this week.

Completely agree on the Batman scene - that's what I want to see more of in Affleck's Batman. The only thing I did not care for was when the Batwing mows down the guy with the heavy machine gun mounted to the back of a pickup truck. He straight up killed that guy and everyone around in the subsequent explosion. I didn't feel as remorseful for the guys that were blown up with the grenade as that could have been perceived that they actually killed themselves. The flamethrower death was also a little bit of a grey-area.

I actually sat down and watched Justice League: War last week and that was really entertaining. It was a fast-paced introduction to the Justice League and Darkseid, which I thought was actually done really well. I'm not really a fan of Green Lanterns powers or Shazam in general, but everything happened in that movie so fast that I didn't really have time to critique and I could just sit back and enjoy it for what it is.

dawgpound

Retired Billy the Barnstormer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2011
Des Moines, iowa
The extended version of BvS is a much better film. Still has flaws, but at least it makes way more sense. And yes, should have definitely had Steppenwolf scene in the original movie. I am looking forward to Justice League, since I hope they learned from their mistakes, however Suicide Sqaud wasn't very good either so who knows.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
David Ayer is staying in the DCEU and will be directing Gotham City Sirens, starring Margot Robbie and will be an all-female cast.

DC and WB are apparently also working on a sequel to Suicide Squad and word is they are also working on a standalone Deadshot movie.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/david-ayer-will-direct-the-harley-quinn-spinoff-movie-1790069846

http://io9.gizmodo.com/we-may-get-not-one-but-three-suicide-squad-follow-ups-1790074571

I saw that too. So, we are essentially getting 3 new upcoming movies spawned out of 1 pretty crappy DCEU movie, with one even being directed by the same director. How is this a great idea? Sure, I thought the characters of Harley Quinn and Deadshot were probably the two biggest highlights of the film, but that doesn't mean I necessarily want them to get their own movies. As for the Suicide Squad sequel, after watching the relatively bad first one, I've really had no interest in seeing another. Don't these guys realize they have the ENTIRE DC Universe at their disposal, and WB is wanting to waste their time on playing in the sand with a bunch of minor DC characters that haven't even proven to be a success yet??? In the meantime, these will only push back more of what we all actually WANT to see. So so stupid WB. Shoot, I haven't even touched the topic of them giving David Ayer another shot. Why? Sure, at least he won't be writing this upcoming film, but I can't say the writing or even the super-awful editing were the only problems with Suicide Squad. The directing as well seemed pretty awful. It was the big old combo that gave us what we got. I guess I'll just hold to the one saving grace and that is at least Geoff Johns will now be involved, which I'm hoping will save the day. In the end, I guess just give me GOOD movies, regardless of who is in them, and I'll quickly calm down.