DC Extended Universe

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Early details about the Green Lantern Corps movie:

Now things are moving forward in a significant way, with screenwriters David S. Goyer and Justin Rhodes reportedly working on the upcoming Green Lantern Corps movie.
Deadline reports that Goyer will be producing the movie as well as co-writing the screenplay, with WB honchos Geoff Johns and Jon Berg as executive producers. The take is referred to as “Lethal Weapon in space” and will feature both Hal Jordan and John Stewart, the human Lanterns who’ve been the face of the Green Lantern property in previous movies and TV shows.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/report-green-lantern-corps-movie-signs-writers-will-b-1791123491

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I finally saw Suicide Squad last night. That was about what I expected after hearing all the negative reviews. You could tell the script had all sorts of problems - yes, the dialogue was bad, but just the transitions from scene to scene and the overall flow of the story was the biggest mess. I can deal with poor dialogue (think Star Wars: Attack of the Clones), but the story just didn't make sense.

The biggest thing that could have been done to fix this would have been so easy: begin the first 2-3 minutes of the movie showing Enchantress ruling over some kingdom thousands of years ago. Give us a look at her shadow army and how powerful she was and how she is revered as a goddess. Then show how she and her brother were overthrown, how her heart was removed and how they were trapped in those statues. Yes, that trope is used all the time (it's the exact same beginning used in X-Men: Apocalypse) but just that amount of backstory is all they would have needed to make sense of the overall plot.

Another missed opportuninty that I saw was that Suicide Squad was so close to being the DC-version of Ghostbusters. Harley Quinn did a pretty good job of channeling Peter Venkman for a couple of scenes. Maybe we'll get to see more of that style of action-comedy in the Harley Quinn spin-off movie.

While this movie was a huge disappointment, it really didn't turn me off the DCEU. In fact, I think it has set the tone for more "fantastical" elements that are probably coming in Wonder Woman and Justice League. I actually think a Suicide Squad sequel could work if they narrowed the cast. Killer Croc and Katana should have been cut from the movie. Deadshot and Harley Quinn were pretty good. I felt that El Diablo and Captain Boomerang were under-utilized and could have been more involved in the story. El Diablo's transformation at the end of the movie felt like another missed opportunity to talk about the powers that meta-humans possess. I don't know much about El Diablo's history from the comics, but I felt like his transformation into that god-like deity would have been a good introduction to talk about reincarnation in this universe, and how this could play in to the eventual introduction of Hawkman & Hawkgirl.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I finally saw Suicide Squad last night. That was about what I expected after hearing all the negative reviews. You could tell the script had all sorts of problems - yes, the dialogue was bad, but just the transitions from scene to scene and the overall flow of the story was the biggest mess. I can deal with poor dialogue (think Star Wars: Attack of the Clones), but the story just didn't make sense.

The biggest thing that could have been done to fix this would have been so easy: begin the first 2-3 minutes of the movie showing Enchantress ruling over some kingdom thousands of years ago. Give us a look at her shadow army and how powerful she was and how she is revered as a goddess. Then show how she and her brother were overthrown, how her heart was removed and how they were trapped in those statues. Yes, that trope is used all the time (it's the exact same beginning used in X-Men: Apocalypse) but just that amount of backstory is all they would have needed to make sense of the overall plot.

Another missed opportuninty that I saw was that Suicide Squad was so close to being the DC-version of Ghostbusters. Harley Quinn did a pretty good job of channeling Peter Venkman for a couple of scenes. Maybe we'll get to see more of that style of action-comedy in the Harley Quinn spin-off movie.

While this movie was a huge disappointment, it really didn't turn me off the DCEU. In fact, I think it has set the tone for more "fantastical" elements that are probably coming in Wonder Woman and Justice League. I actually think a Suicide Squad sequel could work if they narrowed the cast. Killer Croc and Katana should have been cut from the movie. Deadshot and Harley Quinn were pretty good. I felt that El Diablo and Captain Boomerang were under-utilized and could have been more involved in the story. El Diablo's transformation at the end of the movie felt like another missed opportunity to talk about the powers that meta-humans possess. I don't know much about El Diablo's history from the comics, but I felt like his transformation into that god-like deity would have been a good introduction to talk about reincarnation in this universe, and how this could play in to the eventual introduction of Hawkman & Hawkgirl.

The biggest thing that bothered me and still bothers me with The Suicide Squad is that this is supposed to be a team made up of Metahumans to be able to protect the world from other bad outside Metahuman-level forces, yet only a few of them are actually Metahumans (El Diablo, Killer Croc, and Enchantress), and the rest just shoot guns, throw boomerangs, swing a bat, or can climb things fast. Therefore, are you seriously wanting me to take seriously that Harley Quinn swinging a bat or Captain Boomerang tossing a boomerang is supposed to legitimately protect me from a Superman or Enchantress type attack??? I mean, come on. Don't get me wrong, I've got no problem with that team lineup if they were intended to counter more grounded attacks by more grounded earthbound opponents, more like they were used in The Arrow TV series. At least that Suicide Squad team made sense.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/shaz...johnsons-black-adam-gets-his-own-solo-a148310

Guess everyone was wrong when we were expecting a Shazam movie where he squares off with The Rock as Black Atom in the future. Instead, we are getting two separate movies, a Shazam one and a Black Atom one and the two guys won't square off in either. Therefore, if they do end up squaring off, it won't be until a future movie. Not sure what to think about this. Part of me thinks WB is going a little too crazy lately with giving spin-off movies to about anyone who wants one, whether it be Harley Quinn, Black Atom or Deadshot. All of them so far are villains too, which is an interesting route to go, especially beings how lousy Suicide Squad rounded out. Nevertheless, I guess if they are going to do another solo villain movie, I can't think of too many people much better than The Rock to be a headliner. Truthfully, I'd take a Black Atom solo outing before a Harley Quinn or Deadshot one any day of the week.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Yes, I know I bag a lot on an future Harley Quinn spinoff movies a lot, even though I thought her character was decent in Suicide Squad, but it isn't because I'm sexist and don't want to see female-led movies. I just don't think her character is great as a lead in a movie. Throw her in a Birds of Prey movie, which it seems they are doing and I'm coming a bit more around on it, even though I'm not crazy about that even. Again, it is just the character. Ultimately, I'd take three new Wonder Woman movies over a Deadshot, Harley Quinn or Black Atom spinoff any day of the week. In the end, the more spinoffs we do, the less we get of some of the main headliners I'd like to see.

Diggame

Sep 7, 2009
STL
The thing seems to take anything from a brainstorm meeting or something they see on a message board as a good idea for a movie. At some point they are randomly gonna through a Damian solo movie out there

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
As much as I didn't like Suicide Squad, as well as its director David Ayer for many different reasons, Ayer just wrote a pretty heartfelt letter to fans where he admitted the movies flaws and apologized for them, which I do appreciate as a fan.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/suic...felt-note-reflecting-on-suicide-squad-a148363

Its worth a read and he does hit on most of my biggest criticisms and he wishes he did those differently, particularly with wishing he did a more of a grounded movie, verses the big colorful tired big hole in the sky thing again, along with wishing he would have used the Joker as the main villain. I'll give him credit as most directors don't do this and you wonder if they even recognize the flaws. So, while I'm still not crazy about David Ayer directing the upcoming Gotham City Nights, I do feel wwwaaayyy better about him doing it after this letter, simply because someone needs to know their own flaws before they can correct them.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I finally got around to watching Suicide Squad. Not the worst movie Ive ever seen, but it was pretty bad. Pretty sure that movie was cobbled together using my notes and directing prowess. The acting was meh and especially terrible final villain showdown. Her acting was subpar. Thought a few of the characters were acted ok, but overall it was an incoherent mess.

/rant

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
The Final Razzie Nominations have been released. Here are the nominees from the DCEU films:

Worst Picture: BvS

Worst Actor: Ben Affleck & Henry Cavill both for BvS

Worst Supporting Actor: Jesse Eisenberg for BvS & Jared Leto for Suicide Squad

Worst Screen Combo: Ben Affleck & Henry Cavill for BvS

Worst Director: Zack Snyder for BvS

Worst Screenplay: BvS & Suicide Squad

http://io9.gizmodo.com/congratulations-to-superhero-scifi-and-fantasy-movies-1791509221

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
sCnk0hLg.jpg

First official Aquaman sit-down meeting. Man, it is crazy how young Director James Wan looks. Loving the cast of the movie right now.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Sorry, this isn't DC Extended Universe related, but it is DC related. Is anyone else intrigued by the new Archie "Riverdale" TV show that is previewing tonight? I'm not sure why exactly, but I think it has got me hooked and looks like it could be could. Thoughts?

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Affleck is no longer directing The Batman. He will stay on as producer and will still star as Batman/Bruce Wayne.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2017/01/31/official-ben-affleck-will-no-longer-direct-the-batman

giphy.gif

When it comes to the DCEU, I can't help but just keep shaking my head. Between all the turmoil of losing directors and writers for The Flash movie time and time and time again, combined with now losing Affleck as the Director for The Batman, its REALLY hard to stay positive on everything. Sure, the MCU has experienced a bit of this turmoil with what they dealt with for Antman and Edgar Wright, however, it isn't a common occurrence. This crap seems to be happening with EVERY single DCEU movie. One, either the script and storyline wasn't good enough for Affleck to feel comfortable putting his directors name on it (this would be NOT good), or, what he says is true and the task of Producing/Directing/Writing/Starring in a blockbuster of this scale is just too big of a task for him to handle right now. My guess is its a bit of both. Regardless, losing Ben Affleck as a director can never be looked at as good. My only solace is that at least he is still starring, producing and co-writing it. In the end, Warner Bros... serious guys, get your crap together. This is getting just ridiculous.

P.S. I saw this coming based on the way Affleck was acting lately in regards to all the fan pressure, but I just was hoping it wouldn't.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
The news just keeps rolling in for "The Batman" movie. Now, not only is Affleck not directing, but Chris Terrio has now also come in and rewritten Geoff Johns and Affleck's script:

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/batm...e-scribe-has-reportedly-rewritten-the-a148593

Truthfully, at first glance, this seems like another negative blow. However, once I consider the fact that it never seems like Affleck ever was truly happy with his script anyway, it might actually be good news. Apparently, this Chris Terrio also helped Affleck write Argo and he also was a writer for "Justice League". Therefore, we might know more on his talents after we see how well "Justice League" is received.

On another note, the more concerning news is rumors that Affleck may drop out of playing Batman altogether moving forward. Again, just rumors and heresay, but that would be a devastating blow to the DCEU if true.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
DC is just lost completely. Did you see the articles last week about Green Lantern casting? Ryan Reynolds is rumored to still be in the running as Hal Jordan.

And on that note, a rumored casting shortlist for Hal Jordan has surfaced via The Wrap, and amid sensible studio favorites like Tom Cruise, Bradley Cooper, Armie Hammer, Joel McHale, and Jake Gyllenhaal, there's one surprise: Ryan Reynolds.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/...movie-news-armie-hammer-denies-casting-rumors

I don't even know if that would be a bad move - the reviews for that film were just as bad as Suicide Squad, so maybe just retcon Green Lantern into the DCEU (I already consider it canon) and set up Green Lantern Corps to focus on John Stewart. Too bad it won't happen since Ryan Reynolds has moved on to a much better property. The only way it could work is if the rumor about Affleck leaving comes true, then WB would have a financial incentive to offer Ryan Reynolds and beg him to come back and save the DCEU.

In other news: Yayha Abdul-Mateen has been cast as the villain in Aquaman - he will be playing Black Manta.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/aquaman-finds-black-manta-villain-get-down-actor-970629

There's also a rumor that Nicole Kidman has been approached to play Atlanna.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/nicole-kidman-talks-join-aquaman-970652

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Sounds like yet another DC show is coming to the CW-Arrowverse: Black Lightning.

http://deadline.com/2017/02/black-lightning-dc-comic-drama-move-the-cw-greg-berlanti-1201901139/
Lightning might strike three times, with a third Greg Berlanti-produced comic book series developed/launched at another network heading to the CW.

I’ve learned that Black Lightning, the high-profile drama based on the DC character, which had a big production commitment at Fox, is on the move and likely to land at the CW. The project comes from Greg Berlanti, king of the CW’s DC universe; The Game and Being Mary Jane creator Mara Brock Akil; and her husband Salim Akil. Discussions still are underway, but I hear the drama likely would get a pilot order.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
DC is just lost completely. Did you see the articles last week about Green Lantern casting? Ryan Reynolds is rumored to still be in the running as Hal Jordan.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/...movie-news-armie-hammer-denies-casting-rumors

I don't even know if that would be a bad move - the reviews for that film were just as bad as Suicide Squad, so maybe just retcon Green Lantern into the DCEU (I already consider it canon) and set up Green Lantern Corps to focus on John Stewart. Too bad it won't happen since Ryan Reynolds has moved on to a much better property. The only way it could work is if the rumor about Affleck leaving comes true, then WB would have a financial incentive to offer Ryan Reynolds and beg him to come back and save the DCEU.

In other news: Yayha Abdul-Mateen has been cast as the villain in Aquaman - he will be playing Black Manta.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/aquaman-finds-black-manta-villain-get-down-actor-970629

There's also a rumor that Nicole Kidman has been approached to play Atlanna.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/nicole-kidman-talks-join-aquaman-970652

I think that particular casting rumor is nearly completely fabricated. There is just too many red flags in it which make it sound bogus.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Matt Reeves is the rumored front-runner to takeover as director for The Batman. His previous directing credits are Cloverfield, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, and War for the Planet of the Apes. They are saying that if Reeves does indeed land the gig, then the whole script is being rewritten again.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-latest-ben-affleck-batman-rumor-is-encouraging-but-1792177272

I actually think this would be a good hire. I was very impressed with Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - that was a movie that I went into thinking it was going to be terrible and I was floored with how great it was. I know this may not be popular, but with Reeves background with CGI/mo-cap-heavy filmmaking already under his belt, then maybe they should scrap Deathstroke as the primary villain and go with something more supernatural, such as Poison Ivy.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Matt Reeves is the rumored front-runner to takeover as director for The Batman. His previous directing credits are Cloverfield, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, and War for the Planet of the Apes. They are saying that if Reeves does indeed land the gig, then the whole script is being rewritten again.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-latest-ben-affleck-batman-rumor-is-encouraging-but-1792177272

I actually think this would be a good hire. I was very impressed with Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - that was a movie that I went into thinking it was going to be terrible and I was floored with how great it was. I know this may not be popular, but with Reeves background with CGI/mo-cap-heavy filmmaking already under his belt, then maybe they should scrap Deathstroke as the primary villain and go with something more supernatural, such as Poison Ivy.

I also would like that pick as he would probably be #1 on my want list. As for the Deathstroke thing, it is very possible they scrapped Deathstroke as Joe Manganiello just signed up to be in the upcoming Rampage movie with Dwayne Johnson. Now, this doesn't mean he is for sure out, but it could be possible that movie is replacing his role of Deathstroke if he truly got cut. In the end, I just want the best story possible, regardless of villain. However, I did kind of like the idea of Deathstroke being the guy, especially with Joe playing him.

Help Support Us

Become a patron