DC Extended Universe

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I agree on The Long Ranger thing with me being relatively unimpressed with Armie Hammer. However, what turned me around on him was his performance more recently in The Man from UNCLE. I thought he was great in that movie, coincidentally with Henry Cavill. I thought their comedy bounced off well with one another in that movie, which sounds like it is exactly what WB wants in their future Green Lantern Corps movie. Word so far is that they are going for more of a buddy-cop movie with it.

You bring up a very good point, as The Man from UNCLE was a pretty decent film too. But, I think part of the reason why Armie Hammer did so well is because he was playing a character that was very emotionally reserved, which Hal Jordan is not. Maybe Guy Ritchie can come on to direct Green Lantern? He's capable of balancing 2 leads in a film, not just the Man from UNCLE but also the two theatrical Sherlock Holmes movies starring Robert Downey Jr and Jude Law. That would actually be an interesting hire, especially with the news that Matthew Vaughn is connected to Man of Steel 2. Vaughn and Ritchie go back a long ways - Vaughn was a producer for Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch, which Guy Ritchie directed.

Reactions: Triggermv

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
I agree on The Long Ranger thing with me being relatively unimpressed with Armie Hammer. However, what turned me around on him was his performance more recently in The Man from UNCLE. I thought he was great in that movie, coincidentally with Henry Cavill. I thought their comedy bounced off well with one another in that movie, which sounds like it is exactly what WB wants in their future Green Lantern Corps movie. Word so far is that they are going for more of a buddy-cop movie with it.

Yep, I thought The Man From UNCLE was really well-done, and a lot of it had to do with the chemistry on screen from those actors. I think Armie will do well.

I also love Elizabeth Debecki (she is 6'3" like me!), so it didn't hurt having her (in UNCLE) as the villain.

Reactions: bos

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Yep, I thought The Man From UNCLE was really well-done, and a lot of it had to do with the chemistry on screen from those actors. I think Armie will do well.

I also love Elizabeth Debecki (she is 6'3" like me!), so it didn't hurt having her (in UNCLE) as the villain.

13858_5_1.jpg

Ill add that the courtroom scene was hilarious.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

Hey, nothing wrong with tall women, in fact, I go for tall women.

Reactions: harimad and bos

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012

The Long Ranger...is that some sort of adult flick?

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
<DCTV Related, NOT DCEU related> So, after a few months of gradually watching all these shows, I finally made it through the collective of Flash (Season 2), Arrow (Season 4), Legends of Tomorrow (Season 1), and Supergirl (Season 1) on Netflix. Again, I refuse to watch any shows on a week to week basis anymore. Like I usually do, I followed them all in chronological order in order to make the most sense of all the crossovers using the following timeline:
http://www.alltimelines.com/dc-comics-multiverse-chronology/dc-comics-live-action-television/

With that said, for anyone interested, here are my thoughts. With season 4, Arrow only continued its downward trend as it went way too heavy on the mystical/magic side of things and continued to get away from the gritty grounded, almost Christopher Nolan Batman world that made the show so great in its first couple seasons. It didn't help either that the show just lacked direction in general, had a terrible main villain in Damien Darhk, has quite a few terrible actors in main roles, was hard to get through at times, too much of the same stick, experienced a little too much cheese, and went too far down the Olicity road. Anyway, I've heard Season 5 is pretty good and getting back on track to what made Arrow great in the first place, which is good to hear. Regardless, I'll always have a nostalgic love for Arrow for how good it was in its first couple season and for being the catalyst that kicked off this whole DCTV world in the first place. Therefore, I'll always be pulling for it regardless of how bad things get.

As for the Flash Season 2, while it wasn't near as good as the first season and goes a little too timeline changing crazy, it still was a solid show and always contains probably the most heart of all the DCTV shows. A lot of that credit goes to Grant Gustin and how great of an actor he is. The show in general just has a lot better cast of actors than say Arrow or the Flash have. Supergirl would probably be a closer battle. Also, while Zoom wasn't as good Word is that Flash Season 3 continues to somewhat go downhill, so that is a bit sad to hear.

Moving on to Supergirl Season 1, I have to admit I was fairly impressed. Melissa Benoist is great and has a charisma similar to that of Grant Gustin, which helps the series a ton. The show also matches really well with the Superman/Supergirl overall aura of hope and optimism really well that everyone wants from those characters. Of all the shows, I'd say that this show maybe goes a little heavy-handed on social agendas at times which can be a bit distracting, but I can get past that stuff. On the acting side of things, again, this series is helped along by a great supporting cast of characters and actors. Winn, James, Alex, and J'onn J'onnz are all really good and likable. Lastly, like the Flash, this show has a lot of heart, which you gotta always love. Word is that Season 2 only gets better as it moved from CBS to the CW, which is good to hear.

Lastly, there is Legends of Tomorrow Season 1, which like Arrow, was a pretty big disappointment for me. If I thought Arrow Season 4 was getting a little too out there cheesy, LOT was definitely the worst of all of them. The acting was also all over the place. Sometimes it was decent and sometimes it was terrible. The worst actor of them all by far is the kid playing Jefferson Jackson. The show even made me start to not like a character like The Atom who I previously really liked in Arrow due to bad acting/bad character development. It didn't help that also like Arrow, it had a relatively bad villain in Vandal Savage, even though the actor was actually pretty decent in the role. The show also experience a ton of inconsistencies to the point where none of the reasoning for ANYTHING made sense, and everything was just plot devices to somewhat move a confusing narrative forward. Ultimately, like Arrow, this show was really tough to get through at times. However, I've heard Season 2 gets better, so I'm really hoping that is the case.

Anyway, sorry for the length, but that is a lot of shows to get through. Also, I've updated my Comic Book TV show rankings to include all of these in case anyone is interested. Next up for me will be starting either Legion or Iron Fist. Regardless of which one I start with, they will be back-to-back and I'll update those when I get them. Lastly, my goal is eventually to get to Gotham, but no promises and it still may be a little while.

1. The Flash (Season 1)
  2. Daredevil (Season 2)
  3. Daredevil (Season 1)
  4. Arrow (Season 2)
  5. Arrow (Season 1)
  6. The Flash (Season 2)
  7. Supergirl (Season 1)
  8. Jessica Jones (Season 1)
  9. Luke Cage (Season 1)
  10. Agents of Shield (Season 2)
  11. Agent Carter (Season 1)
  12. Agents of Shield (Season 1)
  13. Agents of Shield (Season 3)
  14. Agent Carter (Season 2)
  15. Preacher (Season 1)
  16. Arrow (Season 3)
  17. Constantine (Season 1)
  18. Arrow (Season 4)
  19. Legends of Tomorrow (Season 1)
Please give me your thoughts if you have any on anything I've said above.

Last edited:

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I agree 110% on Legends of Tomorrow. Some portions I liked and some I really disliked. A lot of bad acting and cheesy lines. I have really mixed feelings towards it. I think it got a little tripped up on itself with all the time traveling and some of their explanations for some of that stuff just made no sense.

• Agree

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
<DCTV Related, NOT DCEU related> So, after a few months of gradually watching all these shows, I finally made it through the collective of Flash (Season 2), Arrow (Season 4), Legends of Tomorrow (Season 1), and Supergirl (Season 1) on Netflix. Again, I refuse to watch any shows on a week to week basis anymore. Like I usually do, I followed them all in chronological order in order to make the most sense of all the crossovers using the following timeline:
http://www.alltimelines.com/dc-comics-multiverse-chronology/dc-comics-live-action-television/

With that said, for anyone interested, here are my thoughts. With season 4, Arrow only continued its downward trend as it went way too heavy on the mystical/magic side of things and continued to get away from the gritty grounded, almost Christopher Nolan Batman world that made the show so great in its first couple seasons. It didn't help either that the show just lacked direction in general, had a terrible main villain in Damien Darhk, has quite a few terrible actors in main roles, was hard to get through at times, too much of the same stick, experienced a little too much cheese, and went too far down the Olicity road. Anyway, I've heard Season 5 is pretty good and getting back on track to what made Arrow great in the first place, which is good to hear. Regardless, I'll always have a nostalgic love for Arrow for how good it was in its first couple season and for being the catalyst that kicked off this whole DCTV world in the first place. Therefore, I'll always be pulling for it regardless of how bad things get.

As for the Flash Season 2, while it wasn't near as good as the first season and goes a little too timeline changing crazy, it still was a solid show and always contains probably the most heart of all the DCTV shows. A lot of that credit goes to Grant Gustin and how great of an actor he is. The show in general just has a lot better cast of actors than say Arrow or the Flash have. Supergirl would probably be a closer battle. Also, while Zoom wasn't as good Word is that Flash Season 3 continues to somewhat go downhill, so that is a bit sad to hear.

Moving on to Supergirl Season 1, I have to admit I was fairly impressed. Melissa Benoist is great and has a charisma similar to that of Grant Gustin, which helps the series a ton. The show also matches really well with the Superman/Supergirl overall aura of hope and optimism really well that everyone wants from those characters. Of all the shows, I'd say that this show maybe goes a little heavy-handed on social agendas at times which can be a bit distracting, but I can get past that stuff. On the acting side of things, again, this series is helped along by a great supporting cast of characters and actors. Winn, James, Alex, and J'onn J'onnz are all really good and likable. Lastly, like the Flash, this show has a lot of heart, which you gotta always love. Word is that Season 2 only gets better as it moved from CBS to the CW, which is good to hear.

Lastly, there is Legends of Tomorrow Season 1, which like Arrow, was a pretty big disappointment for me. If I thought Arrow Season 4 was getting a little too out there cheesy, LOT was definitely the worst of all of them. The acting was also all over the place. Sometimes it was decent and sometimes it was terrible. The worst actor of them all by far is the kid playing Jefferson Jackson. The show even made me start to not like a character like The Atom who I previously really liked in Arrow due to bad acting/bad character development. It didn't help that also like Arrow, it had a relatively bad villain in Vandal Savage, even though the actor was actually pretty decent in the role. The show also experience a ton of inconsistencies to the point where none of the reasoning for ANYTHING made sense, and everything was just plot devices to somewhat move a confusing narrative forward. Ultimately, like Arrow, this show was really tough to get through at times. However, I've heard Season 2 gets better, so I'm really hoping that is the case.

Anyway, sorry for the length, but that is a lot of shows to get through. Also, I've updated my Comic Book TV show rankings to include all of these in case anyone is interested. Next up for me will be starting either Legion or Iron Fist. Regardless of which one I start with, they will be back-to-back and I'll update those when I get them. Lastly, my goal is eventually to get to Gotham, but no promises and it still may be a little while.

1. The Flash (Season 1)
  2. Daredevil (Season 2)
  3. Daredevil (Season 1)
  4. Arrow (Season 2)
  5. Arrow (Season 1)
  6. The Flash (Season 2)
  7. Supergirl (Season 1)
  8. Jessica Jones (Season 1)
  9. Luke Cage (Season 1)
  10. Agents of Shield (Season 2)
  11. Agent Carter (Season 1)
  12. Agents of Shield (Season 1)
  13. Agents of Shield (Season 3)
  14. Agent Carter (Season 2)
  15. Preacher (Season 1)
  16. Arrow (Season 3)
  17. Constantine (Season 1)
  18. Arrow (Season 4)
  19. Legends of Tomorrow (Season 1)
Please give me your thoughts if you have any on anything I've said above.
Glad to hear you say this. I never bothered to watch any CW shows after I struggled through the finale of Smallville, however I decided to give Legends of Tomorrow a shot and made it through episode 3 before I stopped watching. And it takes a lot for me to stop watching something I start.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Glad to hear you say this. I never bothered to watch any CW shows after I struggled through the finale of Smallville, however I decided to give Legends of Tomorrow a shot and made it through episode 3 before I stopped watching. And it takes a lot for me to stop watching something I start.

So you finally decided to come back to the CW and give it another shot, and you chose LOT to start out with????? Ouch. I think you are part to blame on that one unfortunately ;-). Surprised someone would choose that series as a starting point. If starting out, you really need to either go with the first couple seasons of Arrow or the first couples seasons of The Flash.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Holy crap that does look good. Better than Batman V Superman at least.

I'm a little sad that Cyborg doesn't have Beast Boy with him though.

I never thought I'd ever say this, but I think Aquaman might end up being my favorite Justice League character after seeing this movie.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I never thought I'd ever say this, but I think Aquaman might end up being my favorite Justice League character after seeing this movie.

No ****. He's always thought of as the useless wuss of the group. Momoa is pretty awesome for this role.

Too bad Brandon Routh is no longer Superman. We could have had Auquaman and Superman both having been raised in Norwalk, Iowa.

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
No ****. He's always thought of as the useless wuss of the group. Momoa is pretty awesome for this role.

Too bad Brandon Routh is no longer Superman. We could have had Auquaman and Superman both having been raised in Norwalk, Iowa.

On Brandon Routh coming back as Superman....
1166.gif

• Funny
Reactions: cyhiphopp

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
So you finally decided to come back to the CW and give it another shot, and you chose LOT to start out with????? Ouch. I think you are part to blame on that one unfortunately ;-). Surprised someone would choose that series as a starting point. If starting out, you really need to either go with the first couple seasons of Arrow or the first couples seasons of The Flash.
Ha ha tbh, I chose that because I thought it would be a standalone and something different. I never heard of them. That bar scene made me turn it off immediately lol