DC Extended Universe

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
Suicide Squad is 10 times worse than any version of BvS imo.
That is saying a lot. I was finally able to bring myself to rewatch BVS on HBO for the first time since seeing it opening weekend. I would like to know how many times the words "Are you ******* kidding me?" came out of mouth. That movie was ******* atrocious.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Suicide Squad is 10 times worse than any version of BvS imo.

In my mind, both movies did a few different things fairly well, and both movies did a lot of different things REALLY bad. Some of the worst editing I've seen is probably their biggest common flaw. In the end, I still have a hard time determining which one is worse. Truthfully, I've still yet to see the BvS Extended Edition even though I own it because I bought it in 4K and only the 4K disc has the extended edition. In the meantime, I'm finishing my basement and it won't be until I finish that and subsequently buy a big 65 inch 4K TV before I get to see it. However, once I do, my guess is that BvS will eventually separate itself as a little better than Suicide Squad. I guess I'll see. I'm also soon to run into the same problem today when I receive 4K Suicide Squad in the mail and also won't be able to see its Extended Edition. Word is there though that it doesn't make much difference to the original and it adds significantly less minutes.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I saw that too. So, we are essentially getting 3 new upcoming movies spawned out of 1 pretty crappy DCEU movie, with one even being directed by the same director. How is this a great idea? Sure, I thought the characters of Harley Quinn and Deadshot were probably the two biggest highlights of the film, but that doesn't mean I necessarily want them to get their own movies. As for the Suicide Squad sequel, after watching the relatively bad first one, I've really had no interest in seeing another. Don't these guys realize they have the ENTIRE DC Universe at their disposal, and WB is wanting to waste their time on playing in the sand with a bunch of minor DC characters that haven't even proven to be a success yet??? In the meantime, these will only push back more of what we all actually WANT to see. So so stupid WB. Shoot, I haven't even touched the topic of them giving David Ayer another shot. Why? Sure, at least he won't be writing this upcoming film, but I can't say the writing or even the super-awful editing were the only problems with Suicide Squad. The directing as well seemed pretty awful. It was the big old combo that gave us what we got. I guess I'll just hold to the one saving grace and that is at least Geoff Johns will now be involved, which I'm hoping will save the day. In the end, I guess just give me GOOD movies, regardless of who is in them, and I'll quickly calm down.

So, after rethinking what I wrote here yesterday, I determined I was a bit harsh and maybe didn't convey things fully the way I meant. It isn't necessarily that I don't want any of the 3 proposed upcoming movies in the works, but more so just that I thought WB coming out with a whopping 3 movie spinoffs from Suicide Squad was a bit stupid, out-of-touch, and ridiculous. Truthfully, I'm intrigued with the Gotham City Sirens idea as I think that movie really could be something different and fun if they want it to be. Include Poison Ivy, Catwoman, and Batgirl and I'm in as long as it isn't too similar to what they did with Suicide squad, just with all girls. Therefore, give me one spin-off, and I'm good. It is more the other two ideas that I have no (Suicide Squad sequel) to absolutely ZERO (Deadshot movie) in. Sorry, just wanted to clarify. As you can see, I've got a bit of pent-up aggression too with how out-of-touch I feel Warner Bros is right now.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Finally saw some of BVS since it started running on cable channels.

Mother of God is that horrible.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
4561320000.jpg

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I still haven't seen it. If it comes to HBO, or if my brother owns it, I might see it eventually. I have no desire to pay to see terrible movies

What I'll say to you is this. While I would not recommend you see Suicide Squad eventually in order to see a good movie (its not), I would recommend you do see it at some point for the purpose of seeing and learning about a couple fun, decent characters who will also be used again down the road. Suicide Squad didn't fail because it had bad characters, although it did have a few (Katana, Slipknot, Enchantress), it failed because it was a complete mess of a story, poor directing, awful editing, negatively-impacted corporate interference, rushed production schedule.... etc. However, what it did do right was have a pretty solid marketing campaign and also introduce a few pretty good characters. Take that for what its worth, but hopefully this is enough to incentivize you to eventually get around to seeing it. Trust me, I won't be heartbroken if you don't though.

Reactions: cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
What I'll say to you is this. While I would not recommend you see Suicide Squad eventually in order to see a good movie (its not), I would recommend you do see it at some point for the purpose of seeing and learning about a couple fun, decent characters who will also be used again down the road. Suicide Squad didn't fail because it had bad characters, although it did have a few (Katana, Slipknot, Enchantress), it failed because it was a complete mess of a story, poor directing, awful editing, negatively-impacted corporate interference, rushed production schedule.... etc. However, what it did do right was have a pretty solid marketing campaign and also introduce a few pretty good characters. Take that for what its worth, but hopefully this is enough to incentivize you to eventually get around to seeing it. Trust me, I won't be heartbroken if you don't though.

Oh I'll watch it if I get the chance. I was actually pretty excited for it before I heard the early reviews.

I finally saw BvS on HBO like many in here. It was ok, but disappointing.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Oh I'll watch it if I get the chance. I was actually pretty excited for it before I heard the early reviews.

I finally saw BvS on HBO like many in here. It was ok, but disappointing.

If that is the case, truthfully, you'll probably walk away from Suicide Squad the same way. Still doesn't mean it isn't worth getting around to at some point.

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/just...-luthors-return-in-justice-league-and-a147675

Lex Luthor has just been confirmed to make another appearance in Justice League. To me, I'm like whatever, it makes sense. I mean, Jessie Eisneberg is Lex Luthor and Lex Luthor should be a big part of this universe, whether I like Jessie in the part or not, which I do not. Still, I guess it makes sense. Count me as one of those people though still hoping that it is revealed that Jessie Eisenberg is in fact Lex Luthor Jr. and we've yet to see the actual Lex Luthor. That would be news that would make me MUCH more happy.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/batm...y-hes-taking-his-time-with-the-batman-a147480

Its interviews like this with Ben Affleck that make me so happy he is currently set to write and direct the solo Batman flick. Currently, I've got near ZERO trust in Warner Brothers executives and their entitled money-grubbing attitude right now for producing movies. They've just got too much of the haha, we own rights to Batman and we'll make a billion dollars on it regardless of whether it is good or not, so screw you fans while we walk to the bank mentality right now. I could be slightly wrong with that, but the way Affleck talks only confirms to me that he is fighting against some internal forces wanted him to just shove something out there. So yes Affleck, do your thing and take your time with it. Know that you've got the fans on your side as well. Lets just hope WB has enough patience to let him do his thing because if they can't make something work, I'll maybe lose all hope.

I assume you've seen the doc," The Death of 'Superman Lives' What Happened"?

It's inside baseball stuff but I can't resist.

At least they poured the money into "Wild, Wild West" LOL

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I assume you've seen the doc," The Death of 'Superman Lives' What Happened"?

It's inside baseball stuff but I can't resist.

At least they poured the money into "Wild, Wild West" LOL

Heard a lot about it, but have not. Even listened to a podcast where the had the guy on who made the documentary. Someday, I'd like to check it out for sure. Anymore, when it comes to blockbusters, franchises, and brand names, there really is mostly just two behemoths left out there, Warners Bros (Jurassic Park, DC, Harry Potter, Fast and Furious) and Disney (Marvel, Lucasfilm, Disney, Pixar), with a few other mid-tier studios like Fox, Paramount, and Universal wishing they were part of the upper-tier. While I like the properties of both Disney and WB, there is no doubt I've got A LOT more faith in Disney right now between the two. For example, name one bust Disney even produced this year.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Heard a lot about it, but have not. Even listened to a podcast where the had the guy on who made the documentary. Someday, I'd like to check it out for sure. Anymore, when it comes to blockbusters, franchises, and brand names, there really is mostly just two behemoths left out there, Warners Bros (Jurassic Park, DC, Harry Potter, Fast and Furious) and Disney (Marvel, Lucasfilm, Disney, Pixar), with a few other mid-tier studios like Fox, Paramount, and Universal wishing they were part of the upper-tier. While I like the properties of both Disney and WB, there is no doubt I've got A LOT more faith in Disney right now between the two. For example, name one bust Disney even produced this year.

Good, bad or otherwise if that movie gets made 18 years ago the whole universe changes and changes dramatically .

They were two weeks from principal photography, two weeks!

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Time to start worrying (even moreso) about the direction of the DCEU. Ben Affleck recently came out stating that The Batman stand-alone film will be conducted under his timetable, even though WB has already set a release date for 2018.

Ben Affleck set the internet on fire a few days ago when he stated, via an interview with The Guardian, that his would-be stand-alone Batman movie wasn’t as far along as he had hinted at earlier last year. t’s not a set thing and there’s no script. If it doesn’t come together in a way I think is really great I’m not going to do it,” Affleck said. With that offhand quote, one which could very well have been merely offering a different answer to a question he has been asked countless times, sparked a round of speculation about the uncertain fate of a Ben Affleck-directed Batman movie.

There are a million ways to speculate about why Ben Affleck’s comments went from “the script is going well” back in October to last week’s “it’s not a set thing.” Maybe he is speaking to his experiences on what was likely a very micromanaged Justice League set or (heaven forbid) he's not thrilled with the Justice League footage he's seen thus far. Maybe it’s a kind of public negotiation that we’ve seen play out in the press so many times over the last several years. Or maybe, it was an off-the-cuff answer from an actor who was trying to offer a slight variation on the “I won’t do if I can’t do it right” talking point that’s made the rounds of late.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...when-he-darn-well-feels-like-it/#2a601f48583a

There is a lot riding on Wonder Woman now. I don't think Wonder Woman has to be an excellent movie at this point, but I am hoping for at least a good movie so the DCEU can finally get some traction and move in a positive direction.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Time to start worrying (even moreso) about the direction of the DCEU. Ben Affleck recently came out stating that The Batman stand-alone film will be conducted under his timetable, even though WB has already set a release date for 2018.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...when-he-darn-well-feels-like-it/#2a601f48583a

There is a lot riding on Wonder Woman now. I don't think Wonder Woman has to be an excellent movie at this point, but I am hoping for at least a good movie so the DCEU can finally get some traction and move in a positive direction.

Yeah, I'm starting to worry about "The Batman" myself. I'm just hoping that everything doesn't fall to pieces because I'm not sure my view of WB can move any lower right now. Regardless, count me in Ben's corner. Hold to your guns and make something good. Don't just make it to make it.

• Agree
Reactions: 3GenClone

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Miscellaneous DC-centered news from this past weekend:

CW has renewed all 4 DC-centered shows for at least one more season (Flash, Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow and SuperGirl).

Batman V Superman has received 8 Razzie nominations, while Suicide Squad has received 5. These are not final nominations - the list will be narrowed down by Jan 23 and the "winners" announced Feb 25.

Surprise announcement: Constantine has been revived as an animated series on the CW's online network (CW Seed). Matt Ryan will continue to voice Constantine. cw.jpg

And finally a new Justice League photo has been released:
jl photo.jpg

http://io9.gizmodo.com/rest-easy-the-arrow-verse-isnt-going-anywhere-1790948762
http://io9.gizmodo.com/batman-v-superman-tops-razzies-nominations-shortlist-1790948023
http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-cw-revives-matt-ryans-constantine-as-animated-serie-1790949733
http://io9.gizmodo.com/justice-league-photo-unites-the-team-in-ominous-fog-1790953002

Last edited:

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Miscellaneous DC-centered news from this past weekend:

CW has renewed all 4 DC-centered shows for at least one more season (Flash, Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow and SuperGirl).

Batman V Superman has received 8 Razzie nominations, while Suicide Squad has received 5. These are not final nominations - the list will be narrowed down by Jan 23 and the "winners" announced Feb 25.

Surprise announcement: Constantine has been revived as an animated series on the CW's online network (CW Seed). Matt Ryan will continue to voice Constantine. View attachment 45948

And finally a new Justice League photo has been released:
View attachment 45949

http://io9.gizmodo.com/rest-easy-the-arrow-verse-isnt-going-anywhere-1790948762
http://io9.gizmodo.com/batman-v-superman-tops-razzies-nominations-shortlist-1790948023
http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-cw-revives-matt-ryans-constantine-as-animated-serie-1790949733
http://io9.gizmodo.com/justice-league-photo-unites-the-team-in-ominous-fog-1790953002

All interesting stuff for sure. Guess the biggest surprise for me was Arrow being renewed for a sixth season. Granted, I'm behind and only a little over halfway through Season 4 of Arrow, but at what point in time do we put that series out to pasture? Yes, I still love Arrow, but it is mostly anymore simply due to respect for it kicking off the entire DC TV Universe. There is no doubt that quality has steadily fallen, even though I've heard Season 5 shows some improvement. I'll see. Regardless, if it was me, I'd prefer for them to end Arrow, then switch those resources over to something else that is new and cool. That isn't to say the Green Arrow or any of his supporting characters can't pop up from time to time on the other shows.

As for the Constantine CW Seed short digital series.... sure. Whatever. I liked Matt Ryan and his Constantine character from his single season Constantine show. However, the show just wasn't that good at all unfortunately. Therefore, I'm not really in the boat for bringing him back entirely for a Season 2 quite yet. However, guest appearances on other shows (like they've done) or some digital series like this sounds cool to me. Again, if we are working with limited resources, I'd prefer most of them to be used some other place than a Constantine Season 2.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Finally got a chance the other night to watch my the new Extended Cut of Suicide Squad that I have bought, and it turned out pretty similar to what I was hearing. Unlike the full half hour added to Batman v Superman, this extended version of Suicide Squad only added like 11 minutes, and most of it was pretty insignificant stuff. In fact, unless you are watching closely, its kind of hard to tell what stuff was even added. There wasn't much more Joker at all like many had hoped, although there was at least one more scene between him and Harley, which shows them finally falling in love. It was a decent scene. I guess if you really like Harley, I'd say the majority of the extended scenes were more Harley. A few of them I didn't really care for at all. Regardless, I definitely wouldn't go out of your way to catch this cut, and while I do know that the Extended Cut of Batman v Superman did actually change a few people's opinions of the movie, I don't really expect this cut of Suicide Squad to change anybody's minds.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron