Denae Fritz transfers in-conference to Baylor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Many women's teams have had unexpected transfers this year, it is going to only get worse. Yep, I know CBF is harder to play for than some, that is no secret, those players are not stupid either, they know he is hard to play for. It amazes me that the the casual fan only seems to think it is CBF fault. You called him a spectacular *******, you did not just call him a difficult coach.

I mean I guess we could have the female version of Coach Prohm who was not hard enough on his players.

I don't agree with the it's only going to get worse part. I do think it will settle down some. It's sort of at a peak right now because the recruiting class of 2000 and class of 2019 players are getting that 5th year if they want it and are still using that eligibility. Essentially maybe 20% too many players in the system. That's causing odd gal out for HS recruits and more getting "recruited over" from the portal than would be normal. A couple of coaches and programs are going full free agency signings during this period of turmoil.

Reactions: Jnecker4cy

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Someone dug up the Donarski thread so may as well revisit this one too. First game and she only played 10 minutes off the bench in an 85-52 game going 0-2 from the field. Her transfer baffles me more than Donarski as she would have been getting around 30+ minutes a game as a starter with an increased roll on offense on this team that is not very deep at guard right now.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Someone dug up the Donarski thread so may as well revisit this one too. First game and she only played 10 minutes off the bench in an 85-52 game going 0-2 from the field. Her transfer baffles me more than Donarski as she would have been getting around 30+ minutes a game as a starter with an increased roll on offense on this team that is not very deep at guard right now.

$$$

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA

If she is getting this little PT in the cupcake part of the schedule you wonder what she will get in conference play. She might not see the floor in Ames at this rate.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
If she is getting this little PT in the cupcake part of the schedule you wonder what she will get in conference play. She might not see the floor in Ames at this rate.

We may never know what really went on behind the scenes but just baffles me how her and Donarski bailed like they did with this loaded freshman class coming in that looks like they are going to be an impressive bunch and they both would have seen an increased role on offense with Ashley gone. The playing time was going to be there as the only competition for minutes was going to come mostly from Kelsey Joens as Brown, Bristow, and Crooks are all post players. They still probably go after Natabou in the portal but don't get Belanger if 1 or both stayed.

Regardless them leaving gives this talented freshman class more opportunity to carve out bigger roles now and I am excited to see how they grow as the season goes on. Hoping Ryan is able to play sooner than later as having her leadership on the floor is going to be valuable in conference play. It's going to be fun though watching this freshman class come into their own, there will be some bumps along the way I'm sure but its a very solid group that could play 4 years together and build something special.

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
I too am most surprised and baffled by her transfer more than the rest. as has been stated, we will never know all that went down but, lets not forget, BF made reference several times to wanting Denae with him if he were stuck in a dark alley at night so that would indicate that her and BF got along. I also don't believe she could complain about the minutes she was getting here and it's clear those minutes would have gone up I think this year.

I feel bad for her, Great kid!! Hopefully her minutes go up at BU but, if not, you have to wonder about the choice she made.......

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
These girls have friends, family, etc. they talk to. I've heard plenty of stories about Bill that have shaped my opinion on him. Anyone is welcome to feel however they'd like about him, but I don't understand acting like these girls who leave don't share their thoughts with people outside the program.

My thought is the scouting report has been out on Fennelly for a LONG time and I'm guessing it has not changed much over the years. Individual players respond to differing types of coaching and motivation techniques. The trick is to get players that can respond to your style. With all the info out there today I'm shocked when players get into situations where they end up not compatible with a coach. especially with small rosters like BB. Not directed at anyone specific but if a coach sugarcoats their style then shame on them.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
I think the reason for her small amount of playing time in the first game may have been because of her performance in the exhibition game against Hardin Simmons. She played some very significant minutes in that game which was a blowout. Her first shot was a three that swished the nets. From then on it was rather disastrous for her. She missed all 5 of her other shots and they were so far off the crowd would groan. She also had a very hard time passing into the paint. I think she had at least 3 passes picked off and seemed to have trouble on her defensive positions. Personally I'm just as amazed as most of ya'll as to why she transferred. She is sitting behind at least 8 better players than her at this time. Maybe she's just getting adjusted.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and GT25Ump

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006

The reasons for anyone transferring is personal to them and they do not have the obligation to explain their reasoning to anyone, especially fans.

Its not always playing time, or even related to their sport.
Maybe they don't get along with a coach, or one of the assistants, or teammates.
Maybe the don't enjoy the style of play, even if they excel in it.
Maybe they want to be closer to home.
Maybe they don't like the Iowa climate.
Maybe they broke up with a significant other and just want to get away.
Maybe they don't like the rural area.
Maybe they don't like their classes and want to get their education somewhere else.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
My thought is the scouting report has been out on Fennelly for a LONG time and I'm guessing it has not changed much over the years. Individual players respond to differing types of coaching and motivation techniques. The trick is to get players that can respond to your style. With all the info out there today I'm shocked when players get into situations where they end up not compatible with a coach. especially with small rosters like BB. Not directed at anyone specific but if a coach sugarcoats their style then shame on them.

I heard last year was particularly bad from a player relationship standpoint. You also have to consider you have girls who were there 2-4 years transferring out. To me, that lends to a breaking point of sorts.

You just can't treat players the way you could 10 years ago. They have the power with the transfer rules now.

Jkclone15

Nov 19, 2017
Several CF podcasts said she left because her best friends on the squad were Donarski, MEM, and some of the other transfers. Who knows what the conversations were like though.

• Informative
Reactions: riceville98

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Once you have a group of unsettled or unhappy players they can feed off each other. They either bring more people in with them or they get isolated and you have a split in the team. One way or another they have to go. The interesting bit will come when they are older and look back on their time and then decide if they made the correct decision or not.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Thing I loved about Fritz is she was a hard-nosed *****. I think our newest Joens has the frame to grow into that type of guard, but will be a better scorer. Short term it stings but in the end it will be a net gain.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I too am most surprised and baffled by her transfer more than the rest. as has been stated, we will never know all that went down but, lets not forget, BF made reference several times to wanting Denae with him if he were stuck in a dark alley at night so that would indicate that her and BF got along. I also don't believe she could complain about the minutes she was getting here and it's clear those minutes would have gone up I think this year.

I feel bad for her, Great kid!! Hopefully her minutes go up at BU but, if not, you have to wonder about the choice she made.......
You just never know. Basketball and their (apparent) relationship with the coach are usually the only lenses we use or care about, but there are so many factors that can play into this (relationship with other players, or a wide variety of potential personal reasons).

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
A relative told me DF missed her friends and wanted to be closer to home. She promptly transferred somewhere farther from home.

IMO, they both simply assumed the grass was greener. Maybe it will be. Maybe it won't. I don't really care anymore.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: Three4Cy and Frog

GT25Ump

Oct 24, 2009
Sioux City, Iowa
The reasons for anyone transferring is personal to them and they do not have the obligation to explain their reasoning to anyone, especially fans.

Its not always playing time, or even related to their sport.
Maybe they don't get along with a coach, or one of the assistants, or teammates.
Maybe the don't enjoy the style of play, even if they excel in it.
Maybe they want to be closer to home.
Maybe they don't like the Iowa climate.
Maybe they broke up with a significant other and just want to get away.
Maybe they don't like the rural area.
Maybe they don't like their classes and want to get their education somewhere else.
I'm trying to find the "DUH" emoji, but it seems to be M.I.A. :)

Reactions: VeloClone

cyups2323

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
I remember when they left one of the reasons was they didn't like the offense and wanted a more open style. Bill literally tells them to shoot before they turn it over and they can jack up 3s at any time from anywhere. That reasoning doesn't make sense. I also heard that not everyone on the team was happy to see Ashley come back last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron