Designated Survivor

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Does anyone know why it's a lower cabinet member? Why not an upper cabinet member?

Is it more important for them to be there than it is to have a more competent successor in case of disaster?
That is my thought as well. I have a feeling this show is going to be about that. How he gets moved into the position of President, even though he was only chose to be the "designated survivor" because he was not the most important cabinent member. Then everyone questions his abilities and right to the office.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I am. I am intrigued by this concept for some reason. However, I feel that this show will have a short life span because I am not sure how you can expand it beyond a couple seasons. But we will see.

I think it has a better chance at longevity than most new shows. It starts on the premise of a relatively unknown cabinet member being thrust into the Presidency, but it could go on several more seasons with kind a West Wing approach, leaving behind the reason he became President. People seem to like a good political drama, it may have some staying power.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
  • Informative
Reactions: carvers4math

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Here is a Wikipedia list of recent "designated survivors". Of interest, apparently **** Cheney was the designated survivor as VP in 2001 when President Bush was addressing a joint session regarding September 11. Our own Tom Vilsack was the designated survivor in 2012 during the State of the Union.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_survivor

whew we dogged a bullet, I mean ATOM bomb there!!

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Does anyone know why it's a lower cabinet member? Why not an upper cabinet member?

Is it more important for them to be there than it is to have a more competent successor in case of disaster?
Technically, it's a "fail safe" measure. If someone higher up the food chain survives this hypothetical disaster, they would assume the office.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I imagine GW got a little nervous by how eager Cheney was to be the designated survivor.

Needed a designated survivor for his hunting trips.

2014 designated survivor Ernest Moniz was commencement speaker this year. There was a small weather delay at JTS and he kept looking at his watch and Leath while Simon Estes was singing. Bailed right after his speech, while the graduates were going up for their diploma case and handshake.. I guess he would be slightly better than our current candidates, his speech was ok, nothing great but at least not offensive.

My husband has talked about a movie or TV show on this subject for decades, so he is pumped. And I will always watch Kiefer Sutherland. We don't have a lot of shows we watch regularly, so hoping it is good.

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
Cable box is being stupid. On the ABC channel, it says TBA from 7:00pm on. So I can't record it. Only channel that's like that of course.

cyclonebillski

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 17, 2007
Council Bluffs
Is the designated survivor random? Does that person know ahead of time at all? Seems like a plot to take over the presidency for a book...

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
I agree with the length. I wish US TV would follow the UK role sometimes: have a great premise, play it out for 1-2 seasons and end it.

You don't need 12+ seasons of watered-down "oh **** we need more story" unless its actually worth pursuing *cough* LOST *cough*

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I agree with the length. I wish US TV would follow the UK role sometimes: have a great premise, play it out for 1-2 seasons and end it.

You don't need 12+ seasons of watered-down "oh **** we need more story" unless its actually worth pursuing *cough* LOST *cough*
THANK YOU!!!
I feel the same way about Lost, but I wasn't brave enough to put it out there. :oops:

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
It doesn't matter what role he's in, when he talks all I can think of is the guy from Phone Booth.