Do you have cat(s)? A funny for you

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I’ve had cats since I was 8. I’ve always appreciated the bastard in them, and I think they appreciate the same in me. Each one has had their own pretty distinct personality. The most playful cat I’ve ever had was the guy we adopted as a 13 year old overweight senior. He would chase the laser pointer for as long as you were willing to play.

We currently have a 14 year old cat that’s been with us since 2012. She’s always been my shadow and runs the household. Her and the dog get along quite well, but that 110 lbs dog will get smacked around by a 10 lbs cat because she knows the pecking order.
IMG_2377.jpeg

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
My girls (yes, all female):

Uno (the bossy/spicy one). Super friendly, will let you hold her like a baby and pet her whenever you want. But pet her for a second too long and you're bound to get a warning nibble. She bosses all the other ones around.

20240414_095234.jpg

Socks (adopted with Uno) - the shy/skittish/goofy one. Only comes to me and only me for pets, easily startled, will stare at everyone and just generally a strange cat. My son says she is on the spectrum. Doesn't meow, never bites, very gentle.

20240415_233420.jpg

Luna (the princess/needy one) . The most vocal of our cats, loves attention and very affectionate.

20240415_222101.jpg

Nori - the brave baby. All our other cats are around 2 years old, but Nori is only 6 months old and very tiny but will stand up to all the other cats. Very sweet. Loves pets, but hates getting picked up.

20240415_232129.jpg

We got Uno and Socks when they were 12 weeks old. Luna and Nori about a couple of months ago. Introduction was very hard, but they seem to get along fine now (for the most part).

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Funny thing is I've seen some women relate it to that as well. That a man who gets along with cats because they respect the cat's boundaries is more likely to respect boundaries\consent in their human relationships as well.
Current gf of 5+ years said that 2 of her cats that don't normally like anyone, came right up to me, was a vote of confidence that I wasn't a richard.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Yup. We live in rural Story County.

I don't know which quadrant of Story County you live in and/or where you are relative to Ames and Nevada, but I adopted one of my critters off a farm off T Ave. in northeastern Boone County.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Not to turn this thread into a PSA announcement, but there is a cat shelter in Panora that is shutting down but still has many cats to adopt out before closing up shop... forever sadly.

https://www.panorapets.com/adopt

The story moved me enough to go and adopt one more kitty. Ginger is one of the sweetest, most cuddly kitties I have ever had and made a great addition to our family.

If you have space and are in range... there's so good kitties there needing homes.

Some I recognize from when we went and picked Ginger out in early January.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Not to turn this thread into a PSA announcement, but there is a cat shelter in Panora that is shutting down but still has many cats to adopt out before closing up shop... forever sadly.

https://www.panorapets.com/adopt

The story moved me enough to go and adopt one more kitty. Ginger is one of the sweetest, most cuddly kitties I have ever had and made a great addition to our family.

If you have space and are in range... there's so good kitties there needing homes.

Some I recognize from when we went and picked Ginger out in early January.

Jake and Joey, my current pals, came from the Panora shelter in mid-August. I thought it a fine place run by terrific volunteers.

I don't know the story of its (forced?) closing, but I have a sense of something sad happening.

(I searched briefly, saw references to threats made on social media. By the gods, despicable humans walk among us.)

Last edited:

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Jake and Joey, my current pals, came from the Panora shelter in mid-August. I thought it a fine place run by terrific volunteers.

I don't know the story of its (forced?) closing, but I have a sense of something sad happening.

They put this message up on Facebook...

https://www.facebook.com/PanoraPETS...ood-time-to-assess-where-we-/776537687847968/

It is... cryptic about what actually happened.

Sounds like some people were mean to them on social media... which is like saying water is wet. I don't think there have been any serious civil or criminal complaints against them.

Maybe they just lost a critical mass of volunteers, donors, and/or the people in charge of it are burnt out on it and didn't think it worth it or even possible to continue it for whatever reason.

I feel bad for stray cats in Guthrie County.

The baby I have from there really is a sweetheart.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron