College >>> NFL

• Agree
Reactions: Farnsworth

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I like to casually watch the NFL but I think its really boring, mainly because the TV deal is awful. With CFB, I can watch basically every single game in the country, geography doesn't force me to watch two awful teams. Before we went to streaming, we bounced back and forth between dish network and directv, when we got the promotions that gave us NFL Sunday ticket for free, I watched a lot more NFL.

Fantasy Football was the only thing that gave the NFL my full attention. Eventually, that burnt me out on it as well. I was only watching for certain players and stats, just made it not enjoyable.

Reactions: Cyclonsin

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
used to be both, now it's Pro and ISU. It's just too hard to watch bad football in college with the modern NFL being so, so, soooooooo much better.

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
I don’t particularly like NBA regular season because I don’t feel like the effort is always there. But I love NBA playoff basketball. The effort, especially on defense is outstanding and it’s a great product. It’s a different game than college basketball, but both are great.
I don’t particularly like NBA regular season because I don’t feel like the effort is always there. But I love NBA playoff basketball. The effort, especially on defense is outstanding and it’s a great product. It’s a different game than college basketball, but both are great.
NBA simply has too many games. 1 regular season game is meaningless. Those games matter in both nfl and cfb.

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
I like both, but I can turn on any NFL game and chances are it'll be entertaining.
I think this is a plus 1 for the NFL. all players are paid professionals so there are rarely blowouts. that said, you are also never going to see a 46-48 track meet like you get in college every now and then. but also have a 56-0 game too which will never happen in the nfl.

AppleCornCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2020
I have an obsession with college football and a passing interest in the NFL. I love the traditions in college, the variety in styles of play, how much more each game and each season means to the fans in college, and honestly, I have a love/hate relationship with the inequality in college football too. You can’t watch David beat Goliath if there aren’t any Davids or Goliaths. Sure maybe one team sucks and another is really good in the NFL, but that dynamic could be entirely flipped in a couple years. It just isn’t the same.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Much bigger fan of college - actually have a connection to ISU (degree) whereas I don't have any to any NFL teams (doesn't help with none local).

I'll agree with others, the Cyclones in the NFL have increased my NFL viewing at least 50%, never miss a Niners game now. The Purdy story is amazing and I hope it continues for years.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
i will always love college football but nfl sundays are hard to beat

the product is just so good and i feel has only gotten better the last few years.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I've preferred college for at least the past couple of decades, although for a few years it was about 50-50.

Gradually watched less and less NFL, but for no direct reason. One aspect: My immediate family doesn't follow sports much at all, so I made the obvious choice to watch ISU and then CFB by extension.

By happenstance I think I've watched more NFL games already this season than the previous eight combined. (And that isn't many).

As for the product itself, as others have mentioned, although NFL clearly has better talent, but it's more methodical and cookie-cutter/risk-averse. NFL games may have a tighter framework for game pace compared to college, it doesn't seem like it to me. Crowds aren't as electric, more of a laid-back Sunday vibe, not as much pageantry (mascots, cheer squads, bands, fan engagement). Yeah, NFL teams have cheerleaders, but they're more like sideline dancers.

And, NFL season is way too long (like all major pro sports). Maybe I'm just getting old, but I don't want to devote/engage for six months. CFB season isn't exactly short, and probably doesn't need a bye week and the layover before the national title game is a bit anticlimactic, but timeline is reasonable without going overboard.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I love ISU college sports. It's because I went to ISU, met my wife there. My parents met at ISU. My grandparents went to ISU.

I have no allegiance to some certain colored shirts from a city I've never spent more than a few days in, worn by guys who wouldn't live there if they weren't paid to be.

My FIL is a huge Packers fan. I one time asked him why, and it was because his older brother was a Vikings fan growing up. And now 50+ years later he has all sorts of Packers gear, clothing, etc. He's never even set foot in the state of Wisconsin! I don't understand being so passionate about a random choice you made as a child to spite your brother,

• Agree
Reactions: nrg4isu

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
I enjoy watching both but college football or really college sports in general are more fun to me. I just have way more of an emotional attachment than any pro team.

Reactions: Cyclonsin and Jer

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
College by far. I don't like the direction it's been moving, but it'll always be my #1. I think each game having so much weight makes it more thrilling. In the NFL, it's like the worst of what college could be monetarily and any one game has less meaning on getting to the post season. Eventually they'll probably be indistinguishable other than college being like the minor league.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
College by far. I don't like the direction it's been moving, but it'll always be my #1. I think each game having so much weight makes it more thrilling. In the NFL, it's like the worst of what college could be monetarily and any one game has less meaning on getting to the post season. Eventually they'll probably be indistinguishable other than college being like the minor league.
This is where I'm at.

And, if we're being honest, it's much more likely that I stop watching football altogether than favor NFL over CFB. I'm already barely watching NFL games, which is shocking because 5 years ago I was glued to it.

Reactions: Jer

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I like both, but college has the opportunity to offer something very wacky on a regularity.

I very much enjoyed that Utah/USC game Saturday night, and I very much enjoyed the 1st half of the Eagles/Dophins game before I fell asleep.

Reactions: Jer

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
My only issue with the NFL is I don't feel the same level of loyalty and love to a team. At the end of the day, NFL teams are a business that belong to a billionaire. Owners move teams and devastate fanbases all the time. I largely just feel like I'm seen as a customer to the Vikings. If i moved to another state there is a chance I would start just following the local teams. (at least i might see a championship :p)

In college I feel like i have skin in the game. I went to ISU, I'm a cyclone until I die. No matter where i live I'll always have ISU as my school. I would never give the Vikings money outside of tickets to a game and merchandise. However, I'll gladly give to NIL or Iowa State fundraisers. I feel like an owner with Iowa State, I'm nothing more than a wallet of cash for the NFL.

For those reason I much prefer watching the CFB, I watch the NFL since there isn't much on besides that for Sunday.

Help Support Us

Become a patron