Do you prefer to watch CFB or NFL?

Do you prefer to watch CFB or NFL?

• College

• Pro

Results are only viewable after voting.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I like watching ISU more than any other football.

I like watching the "average" NFL game much more than the "average" college game. There are just too many blowouts and bad quality football. Does anyone really enjoy watching Iowa's offense? It's amusing how much they struggle, but it isn't an entertaining product.

Maybe it's always been this way, but it seems like there's an even bigger difference now between the "haves" and the "have nots" in college football post-NIL. At least in the NFL they have the draft and salary caps to try and make things even between the teams.

While I agree with your comment, I don't have to watch Iowa's offense when there are 10 other games I have access to at the exact same time. ESPN/ESPN2/ESPN+ (a billion games), NBC, CBS/CBS Sports Net, Fox/FS1/FS2, BTN (hard pass), even ******* Peacock.

There is always something else on throughout the day Saturday, and usually multiple options Thursday/Friday.

edit: Case and point, multiple games Tuesday/Wed/Thurs/Friday, Nights and 40+ on Saturday compared to 16 total NFL games. Lots of inventory. Pick one that looks interesting and check it out for a second. Bone-headed armature play can be entertaining too.

Last edited:
Reactions: madguy30

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Cfb is great if you cruise the whole lineup for the good storyline or a brewing upset. Not as good if you just lock in on one specific game.

I like the product for both for different reasons.

When I get into this argument about basketball I suspect 90% of the people I debate with must have never watched an nba playoff series in their life or even know the rules have always been radically different.

I don't watch much NBA tbh but just watch the passing as a start for which one is better.

College basketball is sloppy and has seemingly gotten worse in the last few years in that regard.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I’ve watched more nfl than I have in years. But that’s because of Purdy, Hall, Lazard, Montgomery. If we had regular backup players like Hutchinson who hardly plays, I wouldn’t watch a down of nfl until the playoffs. If it weren’t for ISU players, I’d rather watch a random MAC game than an nfl game.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I gauge it by how long the bad taste stays in my mouth. It takes me until Tuesday to rid myself of frustration if the Cyclones lose. And, in this ever growing interest I have in ISU alumni NFL teams, it still only takes me a couple of hours if the 49ers, Jets, or Lions lose. And, though I'm still a general Chicago fan, my interest has waned over the years due to the ever changing makeup of teams. As an example, no sooner do I become a Bellinger fan, he opts for free agency. And let's not even talk about the Bears. I never know who they are anymore. So, short answer: college by far.

Darius Bieber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2017
San Antonio, TX
All things equal it's NFL and it's not even close. The game is so much better. If you like seeing the game played at it's highest level this isn't even a question.
Same thing here. I have the same feelings with NBA vs College Basketball. Pro level is just miles above college.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I am an NFL guy, however the overall team I am most passionate about and the only game each week that is appointment television is the Cyclones for me. I am a Vikings fan, but perhaps over the years I have calloused a bit towards them. I started making them appointment TV midway thru last year when they just kept winning games, but over the past 5-10 years and reverting back to it this year, I just follow them along on my phone on Sundays, unless my family has absolutely nothing going on. My wife knows how nuts I am about the Cyclones so she usually give me Saturdays, but then Sundays are more family oriented. I'll still keep tabs on my fantasy teams and can usually catch the 2nd half of the afternoon slate of games and Sunday Night game if I want. She usually let's me off the hook by then.

Agree with the sentiment that the NFL is just more watchable in general. I won't generally tune in to a college game unless I have some kind of betting interest (which I have cut way back on this year) or it's a decent match up, Big 12 game with ramifications etc. You won't generally find me tuning in to a Big 10 game or non-playoff SEC game.

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
College for me. I enjoy the unpredictability of it, and the overall "tradition" of it. That said, I'd rather watch a random NFL game - say, Jacksonville vs Houston - than a random college game like Miss St vs Vanderbilt.

This year is also the first year I really noticed how much better the NFL viewing experience is. The game flow on TV is so much better, commercial breaks are shorter and better integrated, the viewing experience overall is much better.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Growing up when I did, we were able to see a lot more college football than pro, so it's deeper ingrained in my spirit. Watching former Cyclones in the NFL make things way more fun lately though.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I hadn’t paid much attention to the NFL over the last few years but I’m all in on watching the niners and jets now. Haven’t missed a niners game since Purdy took over. The NIL race is turning me off from college football. It looks like it’s not hitting CBB to the extent it has CFB. I’m still all in on CBB.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Five years ago I would’ve said college but it’s fairly easily NFL now. The NFL broadcast is leaps and bounds better than college. Less and shorter TV timeouts, 12 minute halftime compared to 20. Parity is also way better in the NFL compared to college.

• Agree
Reactions: cyguy9320

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
I would say I enjoy watching both, but I am a much more passionate ISU fan than I am a KC fan

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
must be in the minority here but my NFL viewing has gone down quite a bit in the last couple of years...here are my viewing preferences...
Iowa State
Any P5 games
NFL
G5 game or lower...

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonsin

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
Monte Morris via Nuggets and Brock Purdy via 49ers have me watching pro sports for the first time. NBA sparingly, but 49ers I haven't missed since Purdy started.

Greedy money seekers and conference realignment is doing its best to kill college sports. Its still more fun.

Reactions: WartburgClone

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
NFL is watching the best players on the planet so its not even close for me. College football has gotten worse since people started transferring too. Unless I have some rooting interest in the game I can't even watch CFB. It's sloppy. If you don't have a pro team in your state or favorite pro team I expect people will say college but the product isn't even close between the NFL and College.

• Winner
Reactions: Candide

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron