Downtown Ames

jackrabbit

Dec 2, 2006
Thank god. That area looks like a bomb went off. Now if the whiny developer that has the open parcel in campustown would finally do something that would be great too.
What I've always thought we be great for the block between Lincoln Way and Chamberlain and Welch and Hayward is if the University purchased the entire block.

On the south half of the block have a large building designed like Friley or a large Dutch urban apartment building. Inside the building would be: Admissions, University Records, Career Centers for each college, Student Health Center, other offices from Beardshear. The north half of the block would be a large plaza with a central fountain or statue.

In addition, maybe turn the Friley turret into a giant cuckoo clock facing the plaza. The Methodist Church stained glass window would be to the west of the plaza. To the east would be the four story Kingland commercial building. The plaza would have a very European feel to it and would become a center piece of the Iowa State Campus. The parking garage on Hayward would be an easy place for perspective student families to park and cross the street to the Admissions office. College recruiters would have an easy place to park.

The current student health building would be given to the College of Engineering. Beardshear Hall could be converted to a general service classroom building. This would help keep more students close to the center of campus for entry level classes. And the Current Admissions (Old Alumni Hall) building could be used for the President's office.

Last edited:

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Ames needs that, they let the downtown area get old for too long and have been slowly improving that. It makes sense to get the Lincolnway portion of downtown moved into the 21st century.

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
Still have major doubts anything close to the renderings will materialise but anything at this point would be better than an abandoned block on the main street (Lincoln Way) of Ames.

Freebird

Apr 11, 2006
Still have major doubts anything close to the renderings will materialise but anything at this point would be better than an abandoned block on the main street (Lincoln Way) of Ames.
Same. It’s ambitious for Ames. I’ll believe it when I see it.

Freebird

Apr 11, 2006
I hate that "things most other college towns do" are deemed "ambitious for Ames." Not criticizing you here, but this seems to be the general tone around here.
It’s the truth. Ames is incredibly provincial and anything deemed slightly out of the ordinary raises the ire of the townies. For gods sakes I’m jealous of Ankeny. Never thought that would happen.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Same. It’s ambitious for Ames. I’ll believe it when I see it.

Same developer (or one of them) that is doing the commercial project on Dayton and the Industrial development on East Lincoln Way. He’s got his hands in a few other things as well. I hate that Hunziker and Fredrich have a stranglehold on the town, but there’s definitely enough political capital to get things done.

Reactions: Angie

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron