Duke fan here....

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
Good game guys. The game seemed closer than the final score IMO. Dispite Brackins not playing up to his usual level, he was clearly the best post player on the court. The difference in this game, was not Duke possessing a overwhelming talent advantage but a effort/intensity advantage. Honestly I wouldn't be suprised if you guys knocked of Kansas or Texas(2 teams who possess more overall talent than Duke but not as much intensity) Put it this way you guys didn't play near your A game and Brackins didn't play well but you still only lost by 21 pts to a Top 5 team. Add that to the fact that our All-American guard Scheyer was extremely motivated to play well infront of his home crowd. There's no doubt in my mind, if this game was at Duke or ISU it would've been much closer. Good luck towards the rest of the season and please smack the Jayhawks. Man I hate them.
Does Scheyer get as much action on campus as Patrick and Bilas wanted to give him during the game last night?

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Does Scheyer get as much action on campus as Patrick and Bilas wanted to give him during the game last night?

I had no problem with anything Bilas says. He's as spot on as any guy in the business these days. Scheyer played a great game and has had a great start to the season and Bilas gave him credit for it.

Patrick on the other hand is so far beyond ridiculous that it's sad. The on air felating that he gives Duke is a big part of the reason that so many people, myself included, can't stand watching Duke play most of the time. If he and Vitale get together to call a Duke game, the universe might explode.

Thanks to the Duke fans for the kind words. I'm sure you are being genuine, but from our perspective, it's tough to polish a turd. You have a really nice team that plays extremely well together. Scheyer is a great leader. Enjoy the rest of your season.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
I had no problem with anything Bilas says. He's as spot on as any guy in the business these days. Scheyer played a great game and has had a great start to the season and Bilas gave him credit for it.

Patrick on the other hand is so far beyond ridiculous that it's sad. The on air felating that he gives Duke is a big part of the reason that so many people, myself included, can't stand watching Duke play most of the time. If he and Vitale get together to call a Duke game, the universe might explode.

Thanks to the Duke fans for the kind words. I'm sure you are being genuine, but from our perspective, it's tough to polish a turd. You have a really nice team that plays extremely well together. Scheyer is a great leader. Enjoy the rest of your season.
The best was on that horrid defensive play Dendy had on Scheyer.
Patrick -"What an amazing play by Scheyer"
Bilas - "Actually that was horrible defense."

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Thanks for the words, I think... It didn't seem like it was closer than 21 to me though. And getting beat by 21 by anyone doesn't ever amount to a good game. Good luck the rest of the year.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
The best was on that horrid defensive play Dendy had on Scheyer.
Patrick -"What an amazing play by Scheyer"
Bilas - "Actually that was horrible defense."

Yup. That's the first one that comes to mind.

I wonder if the Duke coaches or players ever sit and listen to a broadcast when it's over. I suppose it's good to essentially have ESPN running an infomercial for your program every time you play, but man, I would think some of that stuff (the kid pics, Mike Patrick and Vitale needing kneepads to call games) would have to be flat embarressing.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
Yup. That's the first one that comes to mind.

I wonder if the Duke coaches or players ever sit and listen to a broadcast when it's over. I suppose it's good to essentially have ESPN running an infomercial for your program every time you play, but man, I would think some of that stuff (the kid pics, Mike Patrick and Vitale needing kneepads to call games) would have to be flat embarressing.
There was nothing worse than Vitale in the Battier era.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008

Actually, this has happened quite often, including the greatest game I've ever seen. UNC/Duke circa 1995 at Cameron. UNC pulled it out in 2 OT I believe, lots of action and drama - Jerry Stackhouse going baseline and throwning down on Cherokee Parks, Capel hitting a 40-footer for Duke to force the 2nd OT - great game, and great announcing. I thought Vitale was going to fall out of the press box, which at Cameron would be very bad (or good, depending on your feelings on Vitale).

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
Actually, this has happened quite often, including the greatest game I've ever seen. UNC/Duke circa 1995 at Cameron. UNC pulled it out in 2 OT I believe, lots of action and drama - Jerry Stackhouse going baseline and throwning down on Cherokee Parks, Capel hitting a 40-footer for Duke to force the 2nd OT - great game, and great announcing. I thought Vitale was going to fall out of the press box, which at Cameron would be very bad (or good, depending on your feelings on Vitale).
Cherokee Parks - there's a name worth reminiscing.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA

Yeah, I remember them being together. I think that might be part of what happened to Patrick. Back in the day, I remember him being pretty solid and doing a good job of calling the action, but I think Vitale rubbed off on him and he now feels the need to sensationalize everything. Maybe it's a company wide thing with ESPN. The crap announcers seem overwhelm if not outnumber the good guys.

I always wondered what changed with me that made it where I used to be able to stand Vitale whereas now I nearly convulse at the sound of his voice. I then caught him calling a game on Classic from around 1990 (when I graduated high school) and realized that he was the one that had changed. He was level headed, and let the game be the main attraction. He'd still throw in a "diaper dandy" or a "dipsy doo" but he didn't feel the need to completely take over the broadcast. We all know that isn't the case anymore. If Vitale loves college basketball as much as he claims to, I don't understand why he feels the need to drown it out. It doesn't strike me as enthusiasm, it strikes me as ego. I think he really believes that people are tuning in to watch/hear HIM. It's sad.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Yeah, I remember them being together. I think that might be part of what happened to Patrick. Back in the day, I remember him being pretty solid and doing a good job of calling the action, but I think Vitale rubbed off on him and he now feels the need to sensationalize everything. Maybe it's a company wide thing with ESPN. The crap announcers seem overwhelm if not outnumber the good guys.

I always wondered what changed with me that made it where I used to be able to stand Vitale whereas now I nearly convulse at the sound of his voice. I then caught him calling a game on Classic from around 1990 (when I graduated high school) and realized that he was the one that had changed. He was level headed, and let the game be the main attraction. He'd still throw in a "diaper dandy" or a "dipsy doo" but he didn't feel the need to completely take over the broadcast. We all know that isn't the case anymore. If Vitale loves college basketball as much as he claims to, I don't understand why he feels the need to drown it out. It doesn't strike me as enthusiasm, it strikes me as ego. I think he really believes that people are tuning in to watch/hear HIM. It's sad.

After so much time in the spotlight, that's natural. I think it did start as enthusiasm with a little ego, but over time, that balance shifted into total imbalance. He's still enthused, but probably plenty of ego now.