Dumbest thing you dealt with today?

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Disagree. Watching your kids become fully independent adults beats wiping butts and cutting french toast into pieces for them. 10/10 would recommend. Just hang in there, it gets so much better!
At each age there are pluses and minus. Granted life is easier once they can do some of the little things for themselves like getting dressed, hygiene, cutting up their own food, but you also have them controlled for the most part. Once they get to MS/HS, they start to want independence, want to be with their friends, learning to drive, all before cell phones and GPS was totally different than today.

It's great to see them as independent adults, but I think the happiest time we had with our kids was when they were in elementary school, starting to play sports, its 60 minutes not 3 hours, all games in town.
You just have to learn to go with the flow and do the best you can.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
At each age there are pluses and minus. Granted life is easier once they can do some of the little things for themselves like getting dressed, hygiene, cutting up their own food, but you also have them controlled for the most part. Once they get to MS/HS, they start to want independence, want to be with their friends, learning to drive, all before cell phones and GPS was totally different than today.

It's great to see them as independent adults, but I think the happiest time we had with our kids was when they were in elementary school, starting to play sports, its 60 minutes not 3 hours, all games in town.
You just have to learn to go with the flow and do the best you can.

Me: "Son. If your brother has something you want you need to wait your turn. Same thing if you have something your brother wants. Property rights, kid"

Son: "Want to see my penis?"

Me: "Good Christ...you aren't saying stuff like this at school?!?"

I try to lay down knowledge and I get responses like "Do dinosaurs poop"

So it's basically the same as when I managed a team at work.

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
Me: "Son. If your brother has something you want you need to wait your turn. Same thing if you have something your brother wants. Property rights, kid"

Son: "Want to see my penis?"

Me: "Good Christ...you aren't saying stuff like this at school?!?"

So it's basically the same as when I managed a team at work.
Thank you. This made me LOL.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Yeah I joke but I'll take the sass over when he woke every 45 min overnight as a baby. Or having an 18 mo old with no childcare for four months during covid. When we had two in '22 and they missed nearly 60 days of daycare.....I very well did lose my mind o_O
Covid was def rough initially with the younger ages no question about it!

• Friendly
Reactions: cowgirl836

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011

For future reference,

"Yes, son, yes, they did, but they don't now because they are extinct (*). Can you say coprolite? I knew ya could."

(*) or you could go into an explanation of gar fish and chickens, living dinosaurs, which all poop.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
For future reference,

"Yes, son, yes, they did, but they don't now because they are extinct (*). Can you say coprolite? I knew ya could."

(*) or you could go into an explanation of gar fish and chickens, living dinosaurs, which all poop.

I've entered that vortex more than once. There is no end.

"Dad, so if Godzilla comes we have cannons to shoot him."

"Well. We have cannons at the park, but I was joking about using them to shoot Godzilla. Godzilla isn't real"

"OK. So when Godzilla comes...."

"Godzilla isn't real. It's only in movies"

Pause

"So when Godzilla comes....."

No better preparation for parenting than management experience. It's. The. Same. Thing.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
I've entered that vortex more than once. There is no end.

"Dad, so if Godzilla comes we have cannons to shoot him."

"Well. We have cannons at the park, but I was joking about using them to shoot Godzilla. Godzilla isn't real"

"OK. So when Godzilla comes...."

"Godzilla isn't real. It's only in movies"

Pause

"So when Godzilla comes....."

No better preparation for parenting than management experience. It's. The. Same. Thing.

Some of us get to relive our childhoods at the end of life with roaring cases of dementia. Current theory says not to contradict folks who are having difficulty with temporal reality.

Another good strategy is to ask him what he thinks. Does he think cannons would stop Godzilla? Then, look up some good old Godzilla flicks on TCM and watch one together to see if they would.

IMHO, you should be flattered that Kiddo is (still) looking to you as a knowledgeable authority. That will change sooner than you would like.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
LOL on the winter gloves, those aren't cool. With the 1st wife we took her/our daughter to the St Paul Ice carnival when they built a big castle, it was COLD like sub zero, she chose to wear a tshirt denim jacket and torn blue jeans to go to it. After a bit we let her go back to the car and warm up.
I'm always amazed how many kids at ISU wear shorts to BB games in Hilton.
Just walked past a student in our building who's wearing shorts and sandals. It was 32 degrees when I came to work.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Some of us get to relive our childhoods at the end of life with roaring cases of dementia. Current theory says not to contradict folks who are having difficulty with temporal reality.

Another good strategy is to ask him what he thinks. Does he think cannons would stop Godzilla? Then, look up some good old Godzilla flicks on TCM and watch one together to see if they would.

IMHO, you should be flattered that Kiddo is (still) looking to you as a knowledgeable authority. That will change sooner than you would like.

Also a reason I never say no for a trip to the park. I know those days are numbered.

Want to go to the park? Absolutely! Grab your shoes!

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
As a high school teacher and father of a 7yo and twin 4.5 year olds...I could flood this thread on the daily.
giphy.gif

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The timing of this thread is perfect since my boss sent me an email asking me to complete another inane training. I made a terrible joke about doing exactly what the training was supposed to prevent us from doing like it was a how to training and his stoic response was, "That is why we have the training." Not sure if dry humor or a total lack of humor but that is nothing new for him.

I'm sure I will have more to post after completing another stupid training course in a few minutes.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Just walked past a student in our building who's wearing shorts and sandals. It was 32 degrees when I came to work.

Stop trying to judge others because of your poor circulation.

As long as it wasn’t cold enough that my kids would get frostbite, I let them figure it out. Learning from being cold is a lot better than me telling me to put a coat on.

cs6804

Nov 2, 2009
Stop trying to judge others because of your poor circulation.

As long as it wasn’t cold enough that my kids would get frostbite, I let them figure it out. Learning from being cold is a lot better than me telling me to put a coat on.
I'm going to side with the kids on this one. I've never understood dressing for the 5 minutes it takes to walk from the car to wherever you are going vs. dressing for the activity you are going to. I get not wanting to be cold, but I would much rather freeze my ass off for 5 min, then sweat my ass off for two hours, or have to carry my coat or my ******* wife/kids coats around for 2 hours.

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
Just today:
This morning my almost 7 year old had an absolute meltdown over how mom did her hair today for school pictures. It was basically just a ponytail and she thought it looked "too bumpy".

4yo boy tried to feed the cat jelly beans this morning.

4yo girl was super sweet this morning, nothing to report.

At school: Have you ever seen young people who walk like penguins and wonder wtf is going on? It's because they don't want to crease their shoes. Some even have plastic inserts they put in so the shoes physically cannot bend.

Most popular hangout spot for the fellas? In the boys restroom on the floor. Just chilling on a sticky piss floor is their jam right now.

"I know passing this test is required for me to pass this class, but could I just take a zero on it and the D I get in the class?"

"Can I take this call? It's my mom" You idiots who text/call your kids during the day...you're part of the problem.

Reactions: khardbored

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron