Ed Podolak stepping aside

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I don’t mind the homer crap.

But technically they are VERY BAD on calling games. You never know where the ball is. You can’t tell if the play was good or bad for Iowa.

The reason Ron Santo was so good on Cubs radio is because Pat Hughes was so great at his job. If the color guy is an emotional mess (which can be fun) the play by play guy can’t be overly distracted.

• Winner
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
"In that moment you don't realize you're falling down the stairs of the broadcast booth for the last time."
- probably Ed Podolak

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com

But technically they are VERY BAD on calling games. You never know where the ball is. You can’t tell if the play was good or bad for Iowa.
This. Gary Dolphin has a great radio voice but is horrendous at painting a picture to the listener. John Walters is far superior in that regard, despite not having the perfect radio voice.

Heft is very entertaining when referees make a bad call against ISU, lol. Ed is just, well, a drunk Iowa fan. Was a little embarrassing to watch him act in person the only time I met him. Gary, John, Eric all conduct themselves much better in public. Nothing we don't already know of course.

Reactions: jsb

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Murphy actually wrote something horrible (in 2009) about an Iowa Hall of Famer. :oops:

• Informative
Reactions: Cycsk

State2015

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 26, 2016
This. Gary Dolphin has a great radio voice but is horrendous at painting a picture to the listener. John Walters is far superior in that regard, despite not having the perfect radio voice.

Heft is very entertaining when referees make a bad call against ISU, lol. Ed is just, well, a drunk Iowa fan. Was a little embarrassing to watch him act in person the only time I met him. Gary, John, Eric all conduct themselves much better in public. Nothing we don't already know of course.
I saw Gary Dolphin at a nice IC bar one Friday night before a cyhawk game. He was nestled up at the bar with a cocky smirk on his face as all these grown men came up to him showering him in praises acting like schoolgirls.

Dolph has a perfect voice for radio but it really seems like being the guy in IC for this long has gotten to his head. Very small sample size and quick judgement but that’s definitely the vibe I got

• Agree
Reactions: Erik4Cy

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Murphy actually wrote something horrible (in 2009) about an Iowa Hall of Famer. :oops:

Lol. None of what Murph says ever happened. After the drunken incidents I mean.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I’m an old former drunk.
So glad it’s former! Have spent the last three months of life dealing with one of the in-laws, who despite both kidney and liver issues and a month in the hospital, immediately went back to it at the first opportunity. Just hope I’m not the one calling 911 next time.

Reactions: ribsnwhiskey

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
Remember, this is the fan base that revered Jim Zabel.

"And he gets the ball and he's running and he's running hard and oh hug and kiss those radios and it'll be 2nd and 12'
"and he kicks the ball through the end zone with his patented through the end zone kick."

Bob f

Nov 9, 2019
Iowa

An the last two years Dolph has to prompt Ed to participate.

• Agree
Reactions: Kinch

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
This times a million.

Dolph and Ed sound like to tavern Hawks discussing the game as they're watching it. That's not necessarily a knock...unless you like learning about what you're listening to. As much as he sounds like Woody from Toy Story when he really gets going, Walters does a great job of painting a picture of what's happening on the field. Heft bumbles and stumbles over himself so often, it can really be distracting.
How old is Eric?