ESPN, Fox Open Discussions for Next Big 12 Deal

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Interesting what kind of president this could set for other schools if someone wants to grab UW without WSU, Oregon without OSU, or UA without ASU. I guess it could depend on whether those schools fall under the same board of regents control?

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
Could you imagine our conference prez saying "we are in great shape because we have Deon Sanders now"
that is what he is hanging his hat on ?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
No pictures = it didn't happen.

It was a commercial flight from DSM to DCA. I've traveled pretty extensively for work for the past 12 years, so I've been on flights with non-revenue women's teams plenty of times. I don't generally try to take pictures of those young women on a flight because they might not let me on the next one.

I technically was sleeping most of the flight. Fell asleep on the ground at DSM and woke up when hitting the ground for the landing in Virginia. Who knows what happened when I was unconscious, though.

Volleyball NIT, not the "real" Final Four.

1671131108677.png

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Interesting what kind of president this could set for other schools if someone wants to grab UW without WSU, Oregon without OSU, or UA without ASU. I guess it could depend on whether those schools fall under the same board of regents control?

I'm a bit surprised a school system hasn't ever tried to just pool all the money coming in and evenly distributing it to all the state schools. With the states still providing support to smaller schools, I'd figure they'd see these massive deals as opportunity to get that off the books.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
UCLA having to pay Cal 10 million a year for the ability to not play them is the most California thing ever...
IMO it’s nice to see a board of regents being concerned for the entire UC system vs 1 school, which is their job. We saw what happened to ISU under the BOR lead by Pomerantz.

UCLA has no issues accepting benefits it gets just being in the same system as UC Berkeley academically, grant dollars, patents, etc. Berkeley just wrapped up a 6 billion dollar multi year campaign that a portion is tagged for the entire UC system.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I remember there was a time when our own Board of Regents had broached the idea of Iowa's and ISU's athletic departments taking money out of their own budgets annually to subsidize UNI's athletic department. Fortunately, that idea never gained traction.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
It was a commercial flight from DSM to DCA. I've traveled pretty extensively for work for the past 12 years, so I've been on flights with non-revenue women's teams plenty of times. I don't generally try to take pictures of those young women on a flight because they might not let me on the next one.

I technically was sleeping most of the flight. Fell asleep on the ground at DSM and woke up when hitting the ground for the landing in Virginia. Who knows what happened when I was unconscious, though.

Volleyball NIT, not the "real" Final Four.

View attachment 106880
My wife and I were at a restaurant in Vegas about 15 years ago and they had all the Miss America or Miss Universe contestants in the same room in amazing outfits. Let's just say I still need to get in to have the Dr check it/me out. Even my wife was in awe.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
Here's how I would see it:

Oklahoma, Texas -> SEC
Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, Colorado -> Big 12
Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Cal -> B1G

Fox happy because it didn't bid on Pac-12 and can get brands added to B1G + B12. B1G doesn't look like an "aggressor."

ESPN overpays to get Oklahoma and Texas early.

Big 12 gets a solid deal and becomes 3rd conference in pay behind B1G & SEC.

Washington State and Oregon State probably are the losers here, but pretty much everyone else gets what they're looking for.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
The first page alone tells me CF was more dialed into reality than so many of the PAC propaganda outlets.

This thing was nailed right off the bat.
Some of the media takes on this whole situation were laughably bad. And they were bad all the way to the very last day. I find it inexcusable that someone who's job it is to cover college sports could be so misinformed about a topic that is the biggest story to hit this space in years. These guys weren't just predicting something else as the likely outcome, they were openly mocking the idea of Pac defections as if the idea was so far removed from possible reality that it was more a joke or a conspiracy theory. And yet here we are. Credibility forever ruined.

Reactions: SolterraCyclone

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Some of the media takes on this whole situation were laughably bad. And they were bad all the way to the very last day. I find it inexcusable that someone who's job it is to cover college sports could be so misinformed about a topic that is the biggest story to hit this space in years. These guys weren't just predicting something else as the likely outcome, they were openly mocking the idea of Pac defections as if the idea was so far removed from possible reality that it was more a joke or a conspiracy theory. And yet here we are. Credibility forever ruined.
Sorry to say, but most media outlets are propaganda with an agenda. Pragmatic, objective reporting is what they taught me in my only journalism class at ISU, but those days have long disappeared. Even those outlets touting fact-based reporting are extremely slanted in their delivery.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
There was a Canzano article (maybe in December?) where he had a full paragraph on the PAC expanding with Big 12 teams.

The delusion these “journalists” had contributed to the demise of the conference. By actually reporting facts and pressing the P12, they probably could have created some urgency. Instead they parroted the “all is well” message until it was too late.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron