ESPN, Fox Open Discussions for Next Big 12 Deal

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
Here's how I would see it:

Oklahoma, Texas -> SEC
Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, Colorado -> Big 12
Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Cal -> B1G

Fox happy because it didn't bid on Pac-12 and can get brands added to B1G + B12. B1G doesn't look like an "aggressor."

ESPN overpays to get Oklahoma and Texas early.

Big 12 gets a solid deal and becomes 3rd conference in pay behind B1G & SEC.

Washington State and Oregon State probably are the losers here, but pretty much everyone else gets what they're looking for.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Could also be the Big12 removed a disadvantage. Seems to me it makes Pac12 & Big12 in equal position from a contract logistics perspective.

Both can negotiate separately with their current media partners and get firm #'s. If the Big12 feels it can get substantially more from ESPN/Fox great. But it may need to be significant to get Pac12 schools to jump.

IMO Fox & ESPN would value a combination of some Big12 & Pac12 schools the most.

I also think Fox values itself as being a West Coast based sports network and desired having Pac12 games.

LOL. They don’t give two ***** about anything other than “shareholder value” aka making money.

• Winner
Reactions: jctisu

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
I was hoping for PlutoTV.
What would be great about that would be you'd never see the same ad in a loop like 3 times in a row during a commercial break.:jimlad:

There was one cruise line ad on Pluto that they showed literally non-stop.

Reactions: GTO

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
The PAC 12 lost their two premier programs, and the two premier programs of what is left don't want to be there either without unequal revenue sharing. That's far from equal footing. They are in survival mode, while the Big 12 is in expansion mode.
Your right if the Big10 or SEC add Pac12 teams in the next year.

But if Oregon & Washington prefer to remain Pac12 and be big fish in small pond. The Pac12 could put up a strong argument to hold together, leveraging CFB Playoff $ when it expands to 12 or 16 teams. Each Power conference will get hundreds of millions of discretionary money to reward their top football programs.

Reactions: 20eyes

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
Reactions: VeloClone

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
The best sign in all of this is Fox seemingly interested. They know ESPN is going to be paying up to get OU and UT an early exit. This is a good sign of relative value of the Big 12 vs PAC.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Here's how I would see it:

Oklahoma, Texas -> SEC
Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, Colorado -> Big 12
Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Cal -> B1G

Fox happy because it didn't bid on Pac-12 and can get brands added to B1G + B12. B1G doesn't look like an "aggressor."

ESPN overpays to get Oklahoma and Texas early.

Big 12 gets a solid deal and becomes 3rd conference in pay behind B1G & SEC.

Washington State and Oregon State probably are the losers here, but pretty much everyone else gets what they're looking for.

Based on what we know right now, this makes the most sense of any scenario.

But when has college football realignment ever made sense??

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
What continues to suck in all of this is the "what could've been"

The original Big 12 was a really good football conference. Stacked.

But the kids couldn't play nice.
Yeah. But do you really miss schools like Mizzou, Nebby, A&M? I really don't.

And if we get the Buffs back in the fold, you'd have 5 of the old Big 8 reunited, which would be cool...

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
So hear me out...everyone thinks this is the deathstroke for the P12, but the P12 is already dead. The networks need a way to blow up the ACC, and this may be their play. Get the B12 involved, have us send out some invites in order to have enough teams wanting out that they can dissolve the ACC. Some go B1G, some go SEC, others to B12. In exchange we get a bump in pay, the leftovers now have to get a new contract for their rights which would be even lower than what ESPN had before.

Fox gets the ACC teams it wants for the B1G
ESPN gets the ACC teams it wants for the SEC
B12 gets the ACC teams it wants and a reworked deal, keeping them "competitive"

P12 dies on the vine, some teams spreading to the B1G and B12. Remaining teams get much lower deal for their rights, saving the networks more $.

• Creative
Reactions: alenz95

alenz95

Apr 16, 2015
Bettendorf/ Ames

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I also think this means feelers to CBS/NBC have been met with 'Thanks but no thanks'. Which makes sense, it was hard to see CBS expanding beyond what they already had football-wise and NBC really doesn't have a window with their Notre Dame and, now, Big Ten commitments.

• Dislike
Reactions: Mads4st8

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Your right if the Big10 or SEC add Pac12 teams in the next year.

But if Oregon & Washington prefer to remain Pac12 and be big fish in small pond. The Pac12 could put up a strong argument to hold together, leveraging CFB Playoff $ when it expands to 12 or 16 teams. Each Power conference will get hundreds of millions of discretionary money to reward their top football programs.
How would you feel as a member of the other 8 programs about signing a deal with Oregon and Washington if they have a foot out the door already?

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
I also think this means feelers to CBS/NBC have been met with 'Thanks but no thanks'. Which makes sense, it was hard to see CBS expanding beyond what they already had football-wise and NBC really doesn't have a window with their Notre Dame and, now, Big Ten commitments.
I don't see that at all. How does NBC or CBS not have any window left for more college football content?

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I don't see that at all. How does NBC or CBS not have any window left for more college football content?
Notre Dame isn't moving off 1:30 CT so you'd be looking at 10:00 AM CT kicks. That pretty much takes care of NBC.

CBS has 4 Mountain West games plus 15-16 Big Ten games. When you factor in their other commitments I don't see a consistent window available from them either.

Maybe somebody will get creative but I think the Big 12s best bet is that FOX becomes their majority football partner.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I know I sound like the get your skateboard off my sidewalk old guy, but can we merge this with the main realignment thread?
It is useful to have this in a separate thread. Some people won't know about it if they don't regularly dive into the giant realignment thread. This gets the news out for those who only check in periodically.