ESPN, Fox Open Discussions for Next Big 12 Deal

ISUcyclones11

Dec 11, 2014
Ankeny, IA
This is just to get numbers from FOX and ESPN, nothing will be signed out of this.

Those numbers will then be used to woo over the 4 Corners.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
The big hangup that the Pac schools are having is how much do i make if I move? So this allows the Big 12 to give them a number, not just a guess. And Yormak knows that number already, so I think this just allows him to take a piece of paper from Fox and ESPN that says $x if school Z comes to the Big 12.

Yormack would not have opened the window if he thought it would disadvantage the Big 12.

To be fair, Bowlsby tried to start these conversations last year and the Networks told him no.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
This got me thinking- is it possible that they could come to a deal that gets the four corners, and then allows for expansion (also rumored) in an attempt to lure Washington and Oregon if they're left hanging by the Big 10?
Absolutely.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Every other tweet Ive read about this this morning has a mouthbreathing Hawk fan in the comments talking about how this isnt an advantage for the Big 12.

If one of you is also on CF and reading this, Id kindly like to ask you to please go have sex with yourself.
You don't have to include mouth-breathing, it is already implied when you put Hawk fan.;)

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I didn’t see in the article, it does it say who first made contact for this negotiating window? Was it the Big 12 or the media partners?

In any case, this shows that Fox and ESPN are kind of moving on from the PAC. It could be a rouse to low ball us and somehow combine the leftovers of the big12 and PAC to form a conference while throwing the bottom feeders, but I doubt that.
It could be that ESPN/Fox are moving on from Pac12, but I doubt it.

IMO it puts the Big12 & Pac12 on equal footing. It allows all 4 parties equal negotiating position.

It could enable ESPN/Fox to negotiate separately with each conference and pair the Big12 vs Pac12. Whichever conference accepts the best (lowest $) terms from the Network could get the media deal. But I don't think getting the "best deal" is in either Networks "best interest".

My expectation is by putting both conferences on equal footing, it could allow for creating the strongest combination of Big12/Pac12 schools.

It is also curious the ESPN article mentions by negotiating early, it allows the Big12 to extend it's current agreement. Would that allow the Big12 to leverage it's existing contract pricing go forward.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015

IMO it puts the Big12 & Pac12 on equal footing. It allows all 4 parties equal negotiating position.

It could enable ESPN/Fox to negotiate separately with each conference and pair the Big12 vs Pac12. Whichever conference accepts the best (lowest $) terms from the Network could get the media deal. But I don't think getting the "best deal" is in either Networks "best interest".

My expectation is by putting both conferences on equal footing, it could allow for creating the strongest combination of Big12/Pac12 schools.

It is also curious the ESPN article mentions by negotiating early, it allows the Big12 to extend it's current agreement. Would that allow the Big12 to leverage it's existing contract pricing go forward.
Big12 isn't opening up negotiations if they don't think this gives them an advantage over the Pac12

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
ESPN wants to keep the Pac-10 alive as there is limited evening and night power conference inventory in the ACC and SEC for them to distribute.

FOX realizes this and is pushing the Big 12 to open talks to get the 4 corners to jump, hurting ESPN. The conference would die as Stanford, Oregon, and Washington would beg the B1G for acceptance and not sign a GOR with the PAC conference. The remaining of Cal, OrSt, Wash St would be heading to the Mountain West.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
ESPN wants to keep the Pac-10 alive as there is limited evening and night power conference inventory in the ACC and SEC for them to distribute.

FOX realizes this and is pushing the Big 12 to open talks to get the 4 corners to jump, hurting ESPN. The conference would die as Stanford, Oregon, and Washington would beg the B1G for acceptance and not sign a GOR with the PAC conference. The remaining of Cal, OrSt, Wash St would be heading to the Mountain West.

Well count me in for Mountain West after dark action!

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010

Fox already moved on from PAC. Now it seems like they are trying to kill it. And espn reportedly gave them a low offer.

This is the networks getting their desired setup, which seems to be killing the PAC imo. Whether Fox and espn share the assets between the other 3 conferences is the question.

Reactions: JUKEBOX

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
Fox already moved on from PAC. And espn reportedly gave them a low offer.

This is the networks getting their desired setup, which seems to be killing the PAC imo.
I agree. It seems like both FOX and ESPN could get what they want by causing the dissolution of the PAC.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
Big12 isn't opening up negotiations if they don't think this gives them an advantage over the Pac12
This. I have to think the B12 is doing this because they know they're in a stronger position than the PAC and they're acting on good information. It would be incredibly reckless if there was some combination of B12 schools that would push the PAC past the B12, but that seems incredibly unlikely.

• Agree
Reactions: CloniesForLife

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA

I don’t think the first part is necessarily true. If the four B1G prospects jump, that brings forward additional inventory that ESPN can then bid on to:
A. Still have a play in the B1G and
B. Still have a play in the late time slot.

So ESPN gets A and B above and doesn’t have to overpay for PAC-10, and there’s no more looming risk of PAC losing their material value when the four prospects jump (because I highly doubt they’ll sign a GOR). Plus they could get OU/UT into their SEC inventory earlier.

Meanwhile Fox can secure additional inventory to complement the B1G inventory (especially given some of the B1G inventory will now go to CBS and NBC). That additional inventory also gives them a solid presence through all four time zones if the four corners join the Big 12.

Honestly, this could be spun to where it’s win/win for Fox and ESPN.

Last edited:

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011

Keep in mind the Mountain West TV rights are with CBS and FOX through the 2025/26 seasons. ESPN may ask the central time zone teams in the cellar to kick off at 8 PM local to fill these spots

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
Part of the negotiations will be that this is OU and TX’s last season.
I think Texas and OU are here thru the current GOR ending in June 2025. So two more football and basketball seasons after this one. I don’t see them paying a huge penalty to buy out 2 or even 1 year early. Plus ESPN, Sankey from the SEC and OuT got slapped around by the lawyers after they got busted for their covert attempted Big 12 screw job.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
I don’t think the first part is necessarily true. If the four B1G prospects jump, that brings forward additional inventory that ESPN can then bid on to:
A. Still have a play in the B1G and
B. Still have a play in the late time slot.

So ESPN gets A and B above and doesn’t have to overpay for PAC-10, and there’s no more looming risk of PAC losing their material value when the four prospects jump (because I highly doubt they’ll sign a GOR).

Honestly, this could be spun to where it’s win/win for Fox and ESPN.
Maybe, I just don't see how being pick #4 in the new B1G is what ESPN would want to bid on for what the B1G is asking.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron