ESPN, Fox Open Discussions for Next Big 12 Deal

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I didn’t see in the article, it does it say who first made contact for this negotiating window? Was it the Big 12 or the media partners?

In any case, this shows that Fox and ESPN are kind of moving on from the PAC. It could be a rouse to low ball us and somehow combine the leftovers of the big12 and PAC to form a conference while throwing the bottom feeders, but I doubt that.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
Every other tweet Ive read about this this morning has a mouthbreathing Hawk fan in the comments talking about how this isnt an advantage for the Big 12.

If one of you is also on CF and reading this, Id kindly like to ask you to please go have sex with yourself.

Who doesn't rely on the expert analysis of Iowa twitter trolls when trying to understand what's going on with realignment?

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Didn't we kind of know that OuT was gone next year when OU pulled out of Battle 4 Atlantis to be replaced by Tech? The writing has been on the wall for a few weeks that everything was going to move early.

I think FOX takes the lion's share of football with an afternoon or evening window on FOX and the rest on FS1/FS2, ESPN gets a few football games, keeps basketball at about the same level they do now and streaming stays on ESPN+.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Didn't we kind of know that OuT was gone next year when OU pulled out of Battle 4 Atlantis to be replaced by Tech? The writing has been on the wall for a few weeks that everything was going to move early.

I think FOX takes the lion's share of football with an afternoon or evening window on FOX and the rest on FS1/FS2, ESPN gets a few football games, keeps basketball at about the same level they do now and streaming stays on ESPN+.
CBS and NBC are in the mix now also. ESPN has several channels they need to fill. While the B12 doesn't have any giant names, they do have some well known names. Throw in a wide array of timeslots available and it becomes somewhat attractive.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
ESPN and FOX are getting their dream. Carve up the PAC and get OUT out sooner. Throw a decent offer to achieve their goals. Big 12 will have a good selection of rivalries and games to fill the time slots. CBS and NBC will be in the mix.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
The big hangup that the Pac schools are having is how much do i make if I move? So this allows the Big 12 to give them a number, not just a guess. And Yormak knows that number already, so I think this just allows him to take a piece of paper from Fox and ESPN that says $x if school Z comes to the Big 12.

Yormack would not have opened the window if he thought it would disadvantage the Big 12.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
ESPN has several channels they need to fill.

They do, but I think in this round of TV deals a lot of people are overlooking what ESPN is already holding in future SEC and ACC inventory -- mostly because those leagues aren't currently up for bid.

• Winner
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Media just confirming the obvious.

You gotta love how Kliavkoff makes that statement in a way that attempts to completely ignore the monstrous kicker on the end "they want to sign up for". Its like me saying "yeah, my wife would totally say yes to me buying that $100,000 boat, providing its something she would be okay with."

"Last month, Kliavkoff told Action Network he was confident the Pac-12’s remaining members would sign a new Grant of Rights.

“They’ll sign as soon as I have a deal in front of them that they want to sign up for,” Kliavkoff said."

Last edited:

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
This is probably the best news possible for the B12 to reel in some PAC teams and solidify itself as the #3 conference.

The PAC schools are going to get a side-by-side look of continuing in the PAC or jumping to the B12. I think this will stress the PAC. Either the corner schools will see the PAC has no future when the B10 comes back for a few more schools, or OR/WA decide they can best position themselves to move to the P2 from the B12.

Either way, getting just one school to cave will open the floodgates. The PAC can't continue with 8 or 9 teams, and getting back to 10 is just puts them further behind. Each school that leaves puts the PAC further behind, which makes the decision to move all the more attractive.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

That's as good a guess as any, very plausible.