Fan Fest

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
Yes all the athletic teams were there. They were at the north end of the indoor practice building had a tug of war thing going on for the kids.

My Dad sat and talked to one of the wrestlers for awhile. He was really nice in talking about getting prepared for the season and what not. The wrestler, don't quite know who it was, said that he feels the team is young, but has great leaders, mentioning Reader, that will make them a strong team throughout the season.

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
If you have kids, I'd highly recommend it next year. My daughter got her picture taken with Jeff Grayer, Fred, Fennelly and several women's basketball players. Can't beat they look on kids faces when they get to see these folks up close and in person.

The person I was most impressed with? Jeff Grayer. Very personable and humble. I'm really glad he's back in the fold.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Took my son, we got there early so we were one of the first in. First to Coach Rhoads' table so he personalized some stuff for my son, took a picture with A-Rob, he's really a good guy, seemed very genuine. It was hot as hell, but worth it, my son had a lot of fun.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
If you like to wait in line for everything and sweat your *** off it's a great time.
Definitely hot -- but if you avoid the most popular stuff (autographs and blow-up kids things (slide, jumper thing)) the lines are rather short. Thought this year was a little less crowded than some other years (and there wasn't anything in the middle of the field -- used to be stuff like KCCI etc.).

Only had to wait maybe 2 minutes for a short round of mini-golf. No wait for my daughter to do a tumble run in gymnastics and then do a jump run. She got her ankle all taped up. She did the tug-a-war (sp?) with the wrestlers. Some other things -- and we were only there just barely over 1 hour.

My son, unfortunately, developed a very bad attitute at the beginning and didn't really get to do anything (3 years old).

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Got a bunch of gym shorts for a dollar, I wear em as PJ's year round. Sweatpants are good too. I got a football roller traveling dufflebag for $5. Not as good as in the past.

Its weird that it was 99% old stuff, so at newest it was from Chizik's first year. Why have they kept most of this stuff for so long? Donate it to some charity/program if no one buys it today.

Great selection on shoes, if you were looking for size 14 cleats! They had a few cases of them. You had to get there right away to get much selection.

One big joke was the pricing. Shoes were $20 if in a box and $10 if not in a box. Big surprise that there were empty boxes left all over!

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
We have gone to every one of these things. My son gets all excited about it for a week. He is six, so it's a cool thing to do. He hugged Cy for the first time in his life. He wouldn't even go to BB or FB games in the past because he was scared of Cy. I guess it all goes back to when he was three and Cy came up to him at a football game and my son screamed. We were in the Parquet section and was a little embarrassing. Cy tried to make it better but it just got worst. Needless to say I'm pretty pumped that he is over that fear now.

My avatar is from the first one held there.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
If you have kids, I'd highly recommend it next year. My daughter got her picture taken with Jeff Grayer, Fred, Fennelly and several women's basketball players. Can't beat they look on kids faces when they get to see these folks up close and in person.

The person I was most impressed with? Jeff Grayer. Very personable and humble. I'm really glad he's back in the fold.

We ran into Jeff around town, and got the same impression. As you said, very personable and humble, really gets the whole atmosphere of Cyclone athletics. Very patient with mob scenes around him and people that he can't possibly remember 10 minutes later.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
We ran into Jeff around town, and got the same impression. As you said, very personable and humble, really gets the whole atmosphere of Cyclone athletics. Very patient with mob scenes around him and people that he can't possibly remember 10 minutes later.

Yet, only three days after Fan Fest he leaves ISU for home. :confused:

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I would too if the job I wanted had been pulled out from under me.

I didn't realize any job was pulled out from under him. Wasn't he in the same position that MacD hired him for? I'm really not sure. It's not like he has coaching experience right? Has he stated that he has a job elsewhere?

My comment was strictly around how quickly we can think we have one of our own, and just a few days later we realize this wasn't his home.