"Fans" booing our own team

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
It is. The problem is that it is unlikely that you are going to come back. If we had thrown three straight passes for a three and out, that would have given Baylor the ball and an opportunity to score. If that had happened there was absolutely no way, I don't care what you do, we would come back. With what we did, we were able to get into the locker room lick our wounds and come back better. We scored twice pretty much right after half. That shows that they didn't give up.

Like I said earlier it is ok to disagree with the decision, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a reasonable decison.

So throw the ball a few times and if nothing is going, run the third time.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014

Furthermore, if it's so unlikely that it's not worth the attempt to score at the end of the half, the question probably should be asked as to why play SR, Wimberly, Nealy, injury prone players like Farniok - any lineman actually, Bibbs, Lazard, etc in the second half at all? We seem to have no shot at winning in the second half, apparently don't appear to be trying to win. Why expose them and chance injury thus further hampering other games?

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
That's probably what I would have done, but it doesn't mean that you should boo what he did. Especially when it is something that lots of coaches would have done.

Cpech56

Aug 12, 2012
It is. The problem is that it is unlikely that you are going to come back. If we had thrown three straight passes for a three and out, that would have given Baylor the ball and an opportunity to score. If that had happened there was absolutely no way, I don't care what you do, we would come back. With what we did, we were able to get into the locker room lick our wounds and come back better. We scored twice pretty much right after half. That shows that they didn't give up.

Like I said earlier it is ok to disagree with the decision, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a reasonable decison.

What's reasonable about this decision? A team that's 1-4 or 1-3 going into this game shouldn't be worried about licking their wounds. You don't play football to make sure peoples feelings aren't hurt and morale is up. Those things will change positively when we start playing like men and winning. We have absolutely nothing to lose, if you think a team feels any better about themselves down 35-7 at half or down 42-7 at half, you've never been in a locker room at halftime of a game like that.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
The definition of fan is someone who passionately supports their team. Last time I looked passion can be anger, love and everything in between. Sports fans support by cheering and show displeasure by booing. They can also show their support by presence or absence. I guess I don't see booing as rude. To me leaving a game at half or the 3rd quarter is a far stonger statement of displeasure and as a player I would take much greater offense seeing empty bleachers.

When the athletic depatment pushes for a fan culture of "All In". A coach afraid to run his offense or allow his defense to stop an opponent from driving 70+ yards in 30 seconds, seems to lack confidence or trust in his players.

Last edited:

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
wherever i go, there i am
This is probably what bothered me most. It's not that I thought we had a chance to come back and win at that point, but I never expected Rhoads to just resign and go to half. That was probably what made me ****** the most on saturday night. At least give it a shot or two downfield. At that point I knew we weren't gonna even make it remotely interesting.

I agree. Nor did I, but I did think we had nothing to lose, and everything to gain, by going downfield. Especially after that first 3 and out, which seemed to deflate the moment, as well.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
People are high off their *** if they thought we were going to outscore baylor by 28 points in the 2nd half.

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
wherever i go, there i am
Very true, but I get the sense from some people that it is conservative=bad and aggressive=good and that is not always the case.

Anyway, I'm turning in for the night.

I get where you're coming from, and agree with you. I think there needs to be a balance between conservative and aggressive play calling, and not necessarily a 50/50 balance, but more of an intuitive balance that will vary from team to team. And equally important as the nature of the play calling is the timing of that play calling. We were off kilter in regards to both last Saturday imo.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The definition of fan is someone who passionately supports their team. Last time I looked passion can be anger, love and everything in between. Sports fans support by cheering and show displeasure by booing. They can also show their support by presence or absence. I guess I don't see booing as rude. To me leaving a game at half or the 3rd quarter is a far stonger statement of displeasure and as a player I would take much greater offense seeing empty bleachers.

When the athletic depatment pushes for a fan culture of "All In". A coach afraid to run his offense or allow his defense to stop an opponent from driving 70+ yards in 30 seconds, seems to lack confidence or trust in his players.

Well then you would be wrong. It is rude and you have to decide what kind of fan you are. And why do we have to choose between leaving early and booing? Wouldn't it be better to not boo and stay and support your team?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron