"Fans" booing our own team

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Playing to minimize damage is not a way to win.

Tell that to Jim Tressel. He sure won a lot of games playing conservatively. Shot, even Hoiberg has been conservative late in games, and it cost him some his first couple seasons.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Tell that to Jim Tressel. He sure won a lot of games playing conservatively. Shot, even Hoiberg has been conservative late in games, and it cost him some his first couple seasons.

That is not what this team was doing. The game plan from the start looked like, we are not going to win this game so do everything we can to not get beat by 50 plus again this year.

Last edited:

AMarner32

Jul 11, 2013
I am still in support of CPR, but not out of naïveté, or blind loyalty, or because he's a good guy. I do, however, think that the time has come for Rhoads to lay it all out on the line. The face of conservatism has to go. I don't know if the media questioned Rhoads on his decision to sit on the ball just before the half, and if they did, it follows that i wouldn't know how CPR responded. I cannot fathom, though, what was going through PR's mind that led to his action, or better yet, inaction. I'm not interested in the wide array of speculation and guesswork floating around on this forum about it either, though. I question whether going into halftime, down 28 to a team capable of doubling that in the short span of a quarter, is in reality playing it safe. Actions speak louder than any words can, and I wonder what message this really sent to his players. The players are expected to work their a$$e$ off day in and day out. They are expected to buy into the system and overall program philosophy. I would imagine that at least some of this team is questioning what they are buying into. I don't know that for sure, though. CPR is going to be here the rest of this year, and without any doubt in my mind, he'll be here next year too, whether you like it or not. The way I see it is that CPR has the next 15-16 months, the next 3-4 in particular, to use as a proving ground to show that he can get it right. I realize that for many, the train has already left the station. To each their own. Everybody has their own tipping point. I have a little left in the tank. I'm not fully convinced one way or the other. The way the rest of this season unfolds will be how I gauge. I hope we don't have to wait until we have gone through the process of looking for a new coach, hiring a new coach, and rebuilding based on the new coach's system and waiting for his recruits to be his own, to win some football games. I hope CPR can get it done.
This is probably what bothered me most. It's not that I thought we had a chance to come back and win at that point, but I never expected Rhoads to just resign and go to half. That was probably what made me ****** the most on saturday night. At least give it a shot or two downfield. At that point I knew we weren't gonna even make it remotely interesting.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
To be fair Luth, Tressel had the personnel to be able to be conservative. His conservatism came out strongest when he already had a lead.

Very true, but I get the sense from some people that it is conservative=bad and aggressive=good and that is not always the case.

Anyway, I'm turning in for the night.

Last edited:

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
So you do admit it's okay to be conservative some of the time?

There is a time and place for it yes, never said there wasn't. When you are down by 3 touchdowns, really isn't the time to be conservative.

Cpech56

Aug 12, 2012
I can relate to a lot of what people are saying about being frustrated about Iowa State choosing to sit on it before the half. Clearly we had been beaten in all faucets of the game leading up to that point, but any sort of points at halftime would've been huge for momentum for our young team. We trailed by 14-17 to Oklahoma State at half a few years ago too and managed to come back and win. Instead saying F it and being satisfied down by 28 it does nothing for the morale of a team.

Explained something similar to this to our guys at film session yesterday. Up 35-0 on Norwalk at half last Friday and their trying to run reverse passes out of their triple option. The only reason they attempt crap like that is because they've absolutely thrown in the towel offensively. Had the Cyclones at the very least attempted to move the ball towards the end of the half it sure would've felt a whole lot more like we weren't going down without a fight. Instead our actions tell Baylor that they've stuck a fork in us and the coaches agree to play garbage time the rest of the 2h. Truly a slap in the face to all the fans.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Playing to minimize the damage is a way to play to win. Be conservative and try to force the opponent to make more mistakes than you make. Some people seem to think playing to win is only when coaches throw the ball downfield, blitz consistently, and press with the corners. If that were the case than a good chunk of college football coaches would not be trying to win.

You act like ISU was down by 14. There is a time where it's OK to sit on the ball at half. Being down 28 to one of the most potent offenses in the country on your home field is not one of those times. CPR was doing everything he could to not have a repeat of last season. I'm sure he thought ISU had a chance, but after the second quarter, he knew it was over. He had a chance to make it a 35-21 game before Baylor touched the ball again. Hell, with the onside call it could of even been 35-28. It was the wrong call to sit on the ball. The offense was not making mistakes to the point where you should of been scared to try and move the ball; they haven't been making many mistakes this year. Sitting on the ball sent a bad message to everyone. I had zero problem with the boos.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I can relate to a lot of what people are saying about being frustrated about Iowa State choosing to sit on it before the half. Clearly we had been beaten in all faucets of the game leading up to that point, but any sort of points at halftime would've been huge for momentum for our young team. We trailed by 14-17 to Oklahoma State at half a few years ago too and managed to come back and win. Instead saying F it and being satisfied down by 28 it does nothing for the morale of a team.

Explained something similar to this to our guys at film session yesterday. Up 35-0 on Norwalk at half last Friday and their trying to run reverse passes out of their triple option. The only reason they attempt crap like that is because they've absolutely thrown in the towel offensively. Had the Cyclones at the very least attempted to move the ball towards the end of the half it sure would've felt a whole lot more like we weren't going down without a fight. Instead our actions tell Baylor that they've stuck a fork in us and the coaches agree to play garbage time the rest of the 2h. Truly a slap in the face to all the fans.

ISU trailed OSU by 17 at half, and if you recall, CPR tried to score before half, and ISU came damn close to doing so. Thanks for bringing that up... Forgot all about that.

Cpech56

Aug 12, 2012
ISU talked OSU by 17 at half, and if you recall, CPR tried to score before half, and ISU came damn close to doing so. Thanks for bringing that up... Forgot all about that.

And we came out and played with some momentum and confidence in the 2nd half. Weird

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I wish I could definitively say we are classier. Unfortunately, many are content sinking to the level of the tavern Hawks, many of them tavern Cyclones perhaps?

Rolleyes. I don't find either booing, leaving early, or being down 28 points at half to be personally embarrassing. What I find it to be is no fun. Not going for it at half because you are afraid of a turnover? That is the same risk every time the offense takes the field and the game was for all intents and purposes over at that point. There was precisely one thing that may have kept many fans including myself in their seats: some points on the board and a little momentum going into half.

I'm not saying the coaching staff has to do everything I want them to do, that would be frankly stupid. What I am saying is that if they want to keep me interested they should probably make things interesting.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
boo-urns-o.gif

I was cheering for Wally Boo-urn-ham.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Really? How about lets not totally screw this up, get back to the locker room and regroup.

On what planet is down 35-7 not already totally screwed up and borderline hopeless?

Cpech56

Aug 12, 2012
On what planet is down 35-7 not already totally screwed up and borderline hopeless?

On the same planet where people think this years squad has any glimmer of hope whatsoever. We'll beat Toledo and KU and end up with another 3 win season. But Hey, we beat Iowa.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
It is. The problem is that it is unlikely that you are going to come back. If we had thrown three straight passes for a three and out, that would have given Baylor the ball and an opportunity to score. If that had happened there was absolutely no way, I don't care what you do, we would come back. With what we did, we were able to get into the locker room lick our wounds and come back better. We scored twice pretty much right after half. That shows that they didn't give up.

Like I said earlier it is ok to disagree with the decision, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a reasonable decison.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
It is. The problem is that it is unlikely that you are going to come back. If we had thrown three straight passes for a three and out, that would have given Baylor the ball and an opportunity to score. If that had happened there was absolutely no way, I don't care what you do, we would come back. With what we did, we were able to get into the locker room lick our wounds and come back better. We scored twice pretty much right after half. That shows that they didn't give up.

Like I said earlier it is ok to disagree with the decision, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a reasonable decison.

As far as likelihood of winning goes down 35-7 to Baylor at half winning is for all intents and purposes zero. There was basically zero chance at coming back probably down 35-14 or 42-7. The fact is based on that it IS unreasonable. Whether people do it or not is no proof either way.

We scored twice right after half and were still effectively not competitive in the game. That should tell you right there not going for it was wrong.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014

Isn't it rather telling the idea that the coaches seem to be more worried about what Baylor may do with say... 30 seconds and X timeouts, than confident in what we can do in 45 seconds with two timeouts?

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Rolleyes. I don't find either booing, leaving early, or being down 28 points at half to be personally embarrassing. What I find it to be is no fun. Not going for it at half because you are afraid of a turnover? That is the same risk every time the offense takes the field and the game was for all intents and purposes over at that point. There was precisely one thing that may have kept many fans including myself in their seats: some points on the board and a little momentum going into half.

I'm not saying the coaching staff has to do everything I want them to do, that would be frankly stupid. What I am saying is that if they want to keep me interested they should probably make things interesting.

I personally didn't find the leaving at half all that frustrating. When the game is very likely out of reach I understand fans leaving early. I'll never understand the booing though. I can't figure out how it is possibly a positive thing.

And if you like interesting, and aggressive football that's more than fine. I just don't like it when people become so obsessed with it that they refuse to understand why a coach was conservative.