"Fans" booing our own team

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Then why did he do the onside kick?

I dont know? Maybe when he realized that we scored so fast right away he had nothing to lose. Again, he had the chance to score 10-14 unanswered points and declined to take advantage to preserve a 28 point deficit.

I read the words in your post but I still have to ask: Do you truly honestly believe that Rhoads had actually given up?

Yes. That to me is saying there is no chance we are going to win, so lets not make it any worse. If CPR had any glimmer of hope ISU could still somehow win that game, he wouldn't of sat on that opportunity.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I dont know? Maybe when he realized that we scored so fast right away he had nothing to lose. Again, he had the chance to score 10-14 unanswered points and declined to take advantage to preserve a 28 point deficit.

Yes. That to me is saying there is no chance we are going to win, so lets not make it any worse. If CPR had any glimmer of hope ISU could still somehow win that game, he wouldn't of sat on that opportunity.

There's very little logic behind that thinking and if it were true it would mean our coach doesn't care that much whether we win or not. If you want to think that, go right on ahead.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
There's very little logic behind that thinking and if it were true it would mean our coach doesn't care that much whether we win or not. If you want to think that, go right on ahead.

There is less logic in thinking CPR thought "hey we can somehow outscore Baylor by 28 points in the 2nd half, lets just get to the locker room and figure it out".

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale

Really? How about lets not totally screw this up, get back to the locker room and regroup.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Really? How about lets not totally screw this up, get back to the locker room and regroup.

So he had no faith in Sam getting the offense into position to score some points with 50 seconds and 2 timeouts? Other then the one idiotic interception, our offense had not messed much up to that point. GIVE THEM A CHANCE.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
There is less logic in thinking CPR thought "hey we can somehow outscore Baylor by 28 points in the 2nd half, lets just get to the locker room and figure it out".

Getting to the locker room gave them a chance to make changes and plan the next drive. CPR is a conservative coach in those situations and he always has been. Even last year at Tulsa he said he wouldn't have tried to score if Wimberely had not had a solid run to start the drive. Those were his same thoughts there.

Had he given up he wouldn't have tried the onside kick. Not to mention a man as competitive as him wouldn't have been giving up on the game that early. With the style of football Baylor plays, we had a lot of possessions to go score 28 points on. Onside kick is successful and there's a big turnover or two, it's possible. Not likely but possible.

CycloneBax

Nov 9, 2006
Ankeny
If fans didn't boo that would mean they were apathetic or no longer in the stands. It just might be the fans that care most about the program were booing.

akclone

Bookie
Nov 28, 2006
We probably could have used the practice for running the 2 minute offense. So when we are down by 2 late in the 4th vs Toledo the experience would put us in the win column baby!

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Getting to the locker room gave them a chance to make changes and plan the next drive. CPR is a conservative coach in those situations and he always has been. Even last year at Tulsa he said he wouldn't have tried to score if Wimberely had not had a solid run to start the drive. Those were his same thoughts there.

Had he given up he wouldn't have tried the onside kick. Not to mention a man as competitive as him wouldn't have been giving up on the game that early. With the style of football Baylor plays, we had a lot of possessions to go score 28 points on. Onside kick is successful and there's a big turnover or two, it's possible. Not likely but possible.

I don't care what way you spin it. You're playing Baylor. Going into the half down 28 does you zero good. If you think your team can beat Baylor, you try to score 2 touchdowns before Baylor touches the ball again, with a nothing to lose mentality. You don't give up opportunities against Baylor when you're in that big of a hole. CPR threw in the white flag and was trying to keep the defeat add respectable as he could.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I don't care what way you spin it. You're playing Baylor. Going into the half down 28 does you zero good. If you think your team can beat Baylor, you try to score 2 touchdowns before Baylor touches the ball again, with a nothing to lose mentality. You don't give up opportunities against Baylor when you're in that big of a hole. CPR threw in the white flag and was trying to keep the defeat add respectable as he could.

For the record, I wish he would have gotten more aggressive too. I just don't think it's as black and white as you and many others want to portray it as.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
For the record, I wish he would have gotten more aggressive too. I just don't think it's as black and white as you and many others want to portray it as.
Against Baylor it's pretty black and white. Don't give up opportunities.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Question for you...

Have you EVER seen ISU outscore an opponent by 28 pts in any half?

Can't say I have. Closest was the Colorado game in 2007 when we were down 21-0 at half and ultimately outscored the opponent by 24 points in the second half. That was of course before the age of fast tempo offenses.

There is a first time for everything though. Like I mentioned before, I wish Rhoads would have gotten more aggressive, I just don't happen to see this as black and white.

isulive2train

Feb 24, 2009
Ciclón Nación
Question for you...

Have you EVER seen ISU outscore an opponent by 28 pts in any half?

tumblr_inline_mmwudmE2Qd1qz4rgp.gif

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron