"Fans" booing our own team

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Can't say I have. Closest was the Colorado game in 2007 when we were down 21-0 at half and ultimately outscored the opponent by 24 points in the second half. That was of course before the age of fast tempo offenses.

There is a first time for everything though. Like I mentioned before, I wish Rhoads would have gotten more aggressive, I just don't happen to see this as black and white.
Umm, no it wasn't. Were you born last year?

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
People spend a lot of money and take a lot of time for this team. It is very frustrating for them not to play well. It is frustrating for the coaches not to take a few shots. While I didn't Boo, I can see why fans did. I can see why they didn't come back after half. If players or coaches don't want to get booed they should play and coach better. Yes Baylor is a good team but there were a lot of mistakes made on Saturday. If players get to make a mistake why don't fans?

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Wait there are people who liked the taking a knee approach at half?

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
So he had no faith in Sam getting the offense into position to score some points with 50 seconds and 2 timeouts? Other then the one idiotic interception, our offense had not messed much up to that point. GIVE THEM A CHANCE.
Just because you disagree with the decision doesn't mean he gave up. It was a reasonable decision that not many here liked. However, if you were to ask coaches I think you would get most people supporting what Rhoads did.

The thing is while you may not like the decision to regroup, it doesn't give you the right to boo. Like others said maybe it is acceptable to boo if they do something universally accepted as the wrong decision like a really late hit or something along those lines but other than that and even then you do not boo your own team.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I don't mind the 'booing' as much as I did half the stadium filing out. That looks great to the recruits I'm sure. I was amazed when we got commitments after that BS.

Why? This team was 1-2 and well on their way to their 3rd loss. They have played like **** at home this year giving the fans little reason to stay. This program isn't even .500 the last 10 years yet fans show up in record numbers, do what we are asked of by the Ath Dept, and all we get in return is bad football. I am a CPR supporter, but at some point he has to start winning. His teams have to start looking half ready to play.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Dang right I let out a few booooooo's at the end of the half. I did stay for the whole game so if I am a bad fan then so be it. If Pollard and Coach didn't like my tone of boooooo I am quite sure they won't cash my check next year.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
This exactly. At the end of the first half people were booing, I told my brother next to me that this is more embarrassing than us being down 28 at half. You are not helping when you boo our own team, if anything you are discouraging the team. In addition you make our fanbase look like ******. Leave the booing to eastern Iowa. We are classier than that at ISU.

IDK the team came out of halftime fired up and they played well for a while.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Really? How about lets not totally screw this up, get back to the locker room and regroup.

What is there to screw up? Throw the ball down field and go make plays. If Baylor gets an interception you go to half time down by the same score.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
What is there to screw up? Throw the ball down field and go make plays. If Baylor gets an interception you go to half time down by the same score.

A pick six or a fumble returned for a touchdown could have happened, as well as Baylor getting the ball back via turnover with enough time to be aggressive even if they had a ways to go to score.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
A pick six or a fumble returned for a touchdown could have happened, as well as Baylor getting the ball back via turnover with enough time to be aggressive even if they had a ways to go to score.
Oh no ... Instead of 28 it would have been 35 ... The horror.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

A pick 6 isn't likely to happen if you attack the field. Yes if you throw 5 yard outs it can but when throwing down the field not so much. What you are saying is you are ok with the staff all of sudden playing not to win?

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
A pick 6 isn't likely to happen if you attack the field. Yes if you throw 5 yard outs it can but when throwing down the field not so much. What you are saying is you are ok with the staff all of sudden playing not to win?

I believe they were still playing to win, just doing it differently than others wanted them too. I wish they would have been more aggressive, but I understand Rhoads's reasoning.

SenorCy

Aug 29, 2010
C.J.
This. We should not play offense to avoid letting the other team score off of turnovers.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I believe they were still playing to win, just doing it differently than others wanted them too. I wish they would have been more aggressive, but I understand Rhoads's reasoning.

No. They were playing to minimize the damage. The whole first half was played that way.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
No. They were playing to minimize the damage. The whole first half was played that way.

Playing to minimize the damage is a way to play to win. Be conservative and try to force the opponent to make more mistakes than you make. Some people seem to think playing to win is only when coaches throw the ball downfield, blitz consistently, and press with the corners. If that were the case than a good chunk of college football coaches would not be trying to win.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
If fans didn't boo that would mean they were apathetic or no longer in the stands. It just might be the fans that care most about the program were booing.

A very good point. People still care. Eventually they'll stop doing that. See: the mcdermott years.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Playing to minimize the damage is a way to play to win. Be conservative and try to force the opponent to make more mistakes than you make. Some people seem to think playing to win is only when coaches throw the ball downfield, blitz consistently, and press with the corners. If that were the case than a good chunk of college football coaches would not be trying to win.

Playing to minimize damage is not a way to win.

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
wherever i go, there i am
I am still in support of CPR, but not out of naïveté, or blind loyalty, or because he's a good guy. I do, however, think that the time has come for Rhoads to lay it all out on the line. The face of conservatism has to go. I don't know if the media questioned Rhoads on his decision to sit on the ball just before the half, and if they did, it follows that i wouldn't know how CPR responded. I cannot fathom, though, what was going through PR's mind that led to his action, or better yet, inaction. I'm not interested in the wide array of speculation and guesswork floating around on this forum about it either, though. I question whether going into halftime, down 28 to a team capable of doubling that in the short span of a quarter, is in reality playing it safe. Actions speak louder than any words can, and I wonder what message this really sent to his players. The players are expected to work their a$$e$ off day in and day out. They are expected to buy into the system and overall program philosophy. I would imagine that at least some of this team is questioning what they are buying into. I don't know that for sure, though. CPR is going to be here the rest of this year, and without any doubt in my mind, he'll be here next year too, whether you like it or not. The way I see it is that CPR has the next 15-16 months, the next 3-4 in particular, to use as a proving ground to show that he can get it right. I realize that for many, the train has already left the station. To each their own. Everybody has their own tipping point. I have a little left in the tank. I'm not fully convinced one way or the other. The way the rest of this season unfolds will be how I gauge. I hope we don't have to wait until we have gone through the process of looking for a new coach, hiring a new coach, and rebuilding based on the new coach's system and waiting for his recruits to be his own, to win some football games. I hope CPR can get it done.