Favorite Bar in Ames

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
Es Tas before the move. I went to the new place last summer and it just wasn't the same. The tacos were still good, the people were still great, but it had definitely lost its hole-in-the-wall charm.

uro cy

Oct 28, 2006
Cy's Roost...then they screwed it up..I go Welch Ave when back in Ames now

Never been to the new Cy's.....too many people have told me not to bother, and not ruin any good memories

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
The one that sold beer.......

Cy's was great until they ruined it by trying to make it into a "nice" place with the fancy tile and make over.

Cydog

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Bettendorf, IA
Here was my usual Friday night bar routine: Mickey's for FAC. Then head to Element for a cheap fishbowl and sit out on the patio when it's nice. I've heard they charge cover and have crappy live music now though. After the fishbowl, usually Es Tas, old or new. And if we were really feeling crazy: finish out the night at Outlaw's before getting a gyro on Welch or in my last semester, a slice of Jeff's pizza. That's how you do a Friday night in Ames. Fun and cheap!

Reactions: CyForPresident

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
Mojazz and Mickeys if it is Thursday. Lumpys if it is early in the night on Friday. Towards the end I spent most of my time at Sips or Outlaws. Hard to have a favorite when the bars and the crowds at bars changed so much.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Here was my usual Friday night bar routine: Mickey's for FAC. Then head to Element for a cheap fishbowl and sit out on the patio when it's nice. I've heard they charge cover and have crappy live music now though. After the fishbowl, usually Es Tas, old or new. And if we were really feeling crazy: finish out the night at Outlaw's before getting a gyro on Welch or in my last semester, a slice of Jeff's pizza. That's how you do a Friday night in Ames. Fun and cheap!

That is frighteningly like my old schedule. Fridays were awesome and you could so wasted so cheaply.

$0.50 beers at FAC at Mickeys
$3.00 pitchers at Element.
Most of the money was spent on shots at Es Tas to end the night.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Yeah, it's really similar to my schedule as well. A lot more emphasis on Outlaws however. We have to get a good spot over looking the dance floor to admire the scenery. :yes:

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
I'm not real big into the bars that are so loud that you can't yell at the person next to you... I must say I enjoyed the more relaxed atmosphere of Welch Ave the most.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Showing my age, but That Place - downtown. and Granddaddy's. Neither are there anymore, but at least the Tip Top Lounge still is!

Also. the "original" Cy's. I remember it well.

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
The station is the best bar right now...although papa's corner is REALLY nice when it's not crowded. The nice thing about welch ave is that if you get there around 7, you can get a table, have some pizza and a cheap pitcher, and more importantly, watch any game that happens to be on at the time.

isumills

Dec 18, 2008
Johnston
The Dean's list was the place I would most frequent, with any coin any drink and twofers it was pretty easy to walk out of there only spending around 10 bucks, with 5 of that being the cover charge.
Also lumpys and lost and found were great places to end the night, especially if there was a band playing.

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
Cafe Beaudalaire. Never had a bad experience and who could say no to them Long Islands!

Edit: I am now craving one in the worst way. Damnit.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron