Favorite Bar in Ames

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Did nobody go to Paddy's?

I really liked Paddy's.

College in the 90's: People's and Lumpy's were great.

When I went back to finish in 02-03: Mickey's was the place. After that, Paddy's was my second favorite. People's had already really gone downhill.

No offense to anybody, but the talent at ISU really improved between the two times I went to school. I mean you wouldn't believe how much it improved. You guys in school now don't even know how good you have it.

For us older guys, all I have to say is sweatshirts and jean shorts.

From fall to late spring, all the girls wore was sweatshirts.

Go on spring break and see a girl in jean shirts? Yeah, guaranteed to be an Iowa Stater.

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
Showing my age, but That Place - downtown. and Granddaddy's. Neither are there anymore, but at least the Tip Top Lounge still is!

That Place was outstanding. I could walk (stumble) home from my apartment. Also frequented Welch quite a bit, followed by Lost & Found and Cy's.

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
I liked Mickeys alot, spent alot of time there and didn't have to worry about lines since a few guys from the team worked there. The year before they opened we had alot of fun at Dean's List... Sips was fun right around last call and MoJazz wasn't bad either...

I pretty much agree with this....we were there around the same time. I'd also throw in Lumpy's and Paddy's though. They were solid.

Detasseler

Jul 16, 2007
Campus
Chasers is always fun for FAC. Pool, beer pong and "are you smarter than a stripper" are the best in Ames. Heading over to Mickey's for a free beer around 5 pm hits the spot too. Second place would be Mickey's downstairs.

Racer68

Dec 20, 2008
Vinton, IA
Welch Ave. Station was our hangout...it almost felt like Cheers we were there so much...then again we worked upstairs so it was easy to get to after work!

Man I still miss that pizza!

BCforISU

Feb 17, 2008
Madison, WI
Mickeys back when it was still 3 fers on pitchers, that was the best summer, split pitchers with a buddy stumble home off of $15. I also met my wife at Mickeys so I have to be biased. I did miss silver night at the Dean's list after it closed. Spent a lot of time at MoJazz on game nights, mainly because the lines were too long at the other bars:biglaugh:

rhillary

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 31, 2007
Plainfield, IL
Chasers is always fun for FAC. Pool, beer pong and "are you smarter than a stripper" are the best in Ames. Heading over to Mickey's for a free beer around 5 pm hits the spot too. Second place would be Mickey's downstairs.

My buddies and I use to go to FAC at Chasers every friday for like 2 years! Beer Pong at 4 after class gets you nice and drunk for cheap too.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I can't believe no one mentioned New York West!! What was the name of the bar that was at the mall, I'm thinking it was called the Library. Just wondering. Thanks.

Cardinal2001

Feb 14, 2007
Ames
I can't believe no one mentioned New York West!! What was the name of the bar that was at the mall, I'm thinking it was called the Library. Just wondering. Thanks.

The Hallway, wasn't it? The Library was what Welch Ave Station was, before it was Welch (1984).

Last edited:

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
The station is the best bar right now...although papa's corner is REALLY nice when it's not crowded. The nice thing about welch ave is that if you get there around 7, you can get a table, have some pizza and a cheap pitcher, and more importantly, watch any game that happens to be on at the time.

You must have never been around for People's/Lumpy's. There were some great times there. Hard to beat a good band at People's on a friday night pre-gamed with $.25 draws of Mich Golden at Lump's, following FAC at Mickey's (including the free Battle's we would get because a couple guys I knew worked there). As far as current Ames bars go, Chaser's is good for FAC, as well as Mickey's and Pepper's. Capone's wasn't bad either while I was there. Usually full, fairly cheap, and decent bands. Es Tas is a good time because I usually know most of the people in there (and I love the food) and Thumbs happy hour became an after work staple during winter '07-08. Miss me some Ames bars...

Max

Mar 19, 2006
In the early 80's, That Place was best, but others were good due to cheap alcohol...

Monday & Tuesday = Dime Draws and dollar pitchers at The Billboard, Cave Inn or Granddaddy's.
Wednesday - Mug night at the MQ
Thursday - Free beer at the MQ or $0.75 G&T's at Thumbs UP.
Weekends - Downtown - usually That Place

CO4Cy

Nov 19, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Monday's - Diamond Dave's for progressive captain & cokes...man that was dangerous

All other times...welch ave station

My friend is actually getting married to an ex-waitress of welch ave station.

I miss that place.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron