Favorite Part of Gameday at JTS

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
Since Football is just around the corner, what is your favorite thing about gameday at JTS? (besides the actual game, as thats reason we're all there anyway)

I like to get my seats around the time both teams are done warming up and heading back to the locker room. BUT my favorite part are the 5 to 10 minutes after the National Anthem and just before ISU comes on to the field. You really start to feel the anticipation and energy of the game itself; I actually start getting nervous. I don't know what it is; the band, crowd chants, stadium starting to fill up etc, but I've felt that way since I was young. Looking forward to September 2nd.

AmesCloneFan

Aug 17, 2008
Ames
Since Football is just around the corner, what is your favorite thing about gameday at JTS? (besides the actual game, as thats reason we're all there anyway)

I like to get my seats around the time both teams are done warming up and heading back to the locker room. BUT my favorite part are the 5 to 10 minutes after the National Anthem and just before ISU comes on to the field. You really start to feel the anticipation and energy of the game itself; I actually start getting nervous. I don't know what it is; the band, crowd chants, stadium starting to fill up etc, but I've felt that way since I was young. Looking forward to September 2nd.

My wife loves that 10 minutes before kickoff as well and is always trying to drag me in early from the tailgate lots. I'm always annoyed because at the time there's nothing more important than "just one more beer", but am always glad when I'm there and the excitement starts to build. Of course, there's always the moment when the canon goes off after the 4th quarter runs out and we all run onto the field after a Cyclone victory!

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
Driving the highway between DSM and Ames. Honking at the ISU flag that flies alongside the road on the way. Getting there while its still dark for gameday. Drinking with friends and family. Girls in skirts. Cooking 90lbs of chicken wings. The song they play before kickoff...the whoooooaaa whoooaaaa whoaaa oh oh oh oh song that they play everywhere. And the the actual kickoff.

Least favorite: 2nd quarter headache from drinking then stopping then screaming. Traffic after the game. Driving for 30 minutes home. Being worthless the rest of the day/night.

Use to LOVE watching the team walk down the side of the Jake. I thought it looked badass as they made their way into the stadium.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
walking from keg shop to the student tailgate, through all the houses, bombing a bottle of Sambuca.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Tailgating. The run to the front row seats for big games...

and as cheesy as it sounds the walk in.. there atmosphere and the feeling you get after giving your ticket is just plain fun.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I like when the band starts playing the drums and then running onto the field in circles. Especially the first game of the year. So many memories when they start that.

Reactions: iahawkhunter

CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
Waukee, IA
Every.Single.Thing!!

Tip-Top. Grillin'. The fact that one day a week my wife is as excited about football as I am and it takes priority over anything else that day!

Call me crazy but I love the late season games when you have to wear a coat and gloves but the sun is still shining on a perfect fall Saturday. And then we end the game with a rush of the field. So pretty much last years CU game. Man that was Awesome.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I like when the band starts playing the drums and then running onto the field in circles. Especially the first game of the year. So many memories when they start that.

Nothing says fall like the crisp air, the marching band with drum corps prominent and long afternoon shadows on the field.

Are you ready for some FOOTBALL?!?! I know I am! :smile:

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
The smell of all of the grilling in the parking lots, the band playing, team entrance and everything that encompasses the aura that is college football....nothing else like it

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
For some reason, I love unpacking our bus. Dragging out the grill and speakers, getting the stereo and ipod set up, raising the flags, starting the generator, setting up the lawn chairs. That whole first half hour when no one is in the lots and we get everything all set up and then sit down and crack the first beer. I love that.

Other things that I love:
-Going to HyVee and dropping a bunch of money purely on liquor and food.
-Waiting to get through the gates at the stadium...everyone is excited and most people are drunk.
-Heading out at half to discuss the game.
-Right before kickoff.

Cyballz

Aug 20, 2009
the random hookups with sorority girls in the student lot porta-potties.

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
For some reason, I love unpacking our bus. Dragging out the grill and speakers, getting the stereo and ipod set up, raising the flags, starting the generator, setting up the lawn chairs. That whole first half hour when no one is in the lots and we get everything all set up and then sit down and crack the first beer. I love that.

Other things that I love:
-Going to HyVee and dropping a bunch of money purely on liquor and food.
-Waiting to get through the gates at the stadium...everyone is excited and most people are drunk.
-Heading out at half to discuss the game.
-Right before kickoff.

This is exactly what I was going to say. I don't have a bus, working on that, but this list is perfect.

Things I would add:
- Packing the truck the night before
- Getting the prime tailgating spot: Mine = student lot along the wooden fence
- Getting there when it is pitch dark and then waiting for the sun to rise above the trees with a cold brew in my hand
- Listening to everyone's predictions in the student section
- Rushing the field