FIBA World Cup

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I hadn't seen a thread and thought we could use one - some high-level hoops being played, starting today. Unfortunately, times for games in Manila are often not compatible with US schedules. Games can often be accessed later on ESPN+, it seems.

If I had to place a bet of the USA vs. The Field for the gold, I'd have to guess The Field. I hope I'm wrong but we don't have the Durants, Currys and other top-10 type players. Plus a lot of the best NBA guys play for other countries.

Most of us know about the 4 Cyclones in action:

1692980497615.png

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Conditt vs. Shayok at 3am CT Saturday morning.

Then Tyrese and the USA are in action with a better time slot.

Saturday, August 26:

South Sudan vs. Puerto Rico – 3 a.m. – ESPN+
USA vs. New Zealand – 7:40 a.m. – ESPN2

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Conditt vs. Shayok at 3am CT Saturday morning.

Then Tyrese and the USA are in action with a better time slot.

Saturday, August 26:

South Sudan vs. Puerto Rico – 3 a.m. – ESPN+
USA vs. New Zealand – 7:40 a.m. – ESPN2
About to restart my Hulu live TV looks like I'll be starting early tomorrow and watching football all day after

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Slow start for USA but Hali just checked in. Hope he can spark them!

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Tyrese with a big 3.

The USA is fun to watch in transition - at least 4 ballhandlers on the court at all times.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Some comments on other games that I've watched:

Canada looked very good, with an all NBA starting 5. If Jamal Murray hadn't pulled out (recovery from long playoffs run), their firepower would be amazing. But they took France out of their game with good, switching D.

France has some talent but didn't look like medal contenders in that one.

Australia has NINE guys who are on NBA rosters and it showed vs. a decent Finland team. I hadn't really watched OKC's Josh Giddey (averaged 16+ PPG this season) but he's a smooth passer. Australia had too much for the Finns.

Today's South Sudan v. Puerto Rico game was super entertaining - check it out on ESPN+. Both Shayok and Conditt started (no mention of Iowa State by the announcers). Jok played. South Sudan had to feel bad about this one because they led almost the entire game, including by 12 points at one time. Puerto Rico got the win in OT (I haven't watched the OT yet). Lots of turnovers though 20 and 22 by the two teams.

Conditt looked good and had 18 points. He took a very good-looking corner 3 and buried it (did he hit ANY at ISU?). Shayok played the point for South Sudan; I didn't realize he was in the G League last year. He had 13 points and looked even stronger than when he was at ISU. He hit a cross-over, step-back 3 that was a piece of art.

Reactions: NWICY

werdnamanhill

(⌐■_■)
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 23, 2017
Eastern IA -> Raleigh, NC -> Madison, WI
Some comments on other games that I've watched:

Canada looked very good, with an all NBA starting 5. If Jamal Murray hadn't pulled out (recovery from long playoffs run), their firepower would be amazing. But they took France out of their game with good, switching D.

France has some talent but didn't look like medal contenders in that one.

Australia has NINE guys who are on NBA rosters and it showed vs. a decent Finland team. I hadn't really watched OKC's Josh Giddey (averaged 16+ PPG this season) but he's a smooth passer. Australia had too much for the Finns.

Today's South Sudan v. Puerto Rico game was super entertaining - check it out on ESPN+. Both Shayok and Conditt started (no mention of Iowa State by the announcers). Jok played. South Sudan had to feel bad about this one because they led almost the entire game, including by 12 points at one time. Puerto Rico got the win in OT (I haven't watched the OT yet). Lots of turnovers though 20 and 22 by the two teams.

Conditt looked good and had 18 points. He took a very good-looking corner 3 and buried it (did he hit ANY at ISU?). Shayok played the point for South Sudan; I didn't realize he was in the G League last year. He had 13 points and looked even stronger than when he was at ISU. He hit a cross-over, step-back 3 that was a piece of art.
Conditt could have been so good with the current coaching staff. I don't think Prohm and his staff knew how to coach up anyone but guards

• Agree
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I can't believe New Zealand is picking the USA up full court. Seems like we should be scoring more off that.

Austin Reeves is a baller.

And put in Hali, FFS.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
What a (no-look) pass by Haliburton to Portis! Such a great distributor.

Then Portis blew a great (no-look) pass from him on the next possession.