FIBA World Cup

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Check out these snippets from ESPN's "key takeways" from the USA's win over Montenegro on Friday:

When Team USA went down 16 points in a warmup game against Germany on Aug. 21 in Abu Dhabi, coach Steve Kerr leaned on bench players Tyrese Haliburton and Austin Reaves to finish the game.

When some mild adversity struck again Friday in a FIBA World Cup second-round game against Montenegro, Kerr did it again. And again, Haliburton and Reaves made play after play on their way to securing the 85-73 win.

But the way Haliburton and Reaves have stood out over the past month has been one of the most important lessons for the U.S. team from this tournament.

But when it really matters, this team is led by Reaves and Haliburton. They push the opposition out farther from the basket. They play lightning-quick. They pass the ball up the floor. They make hustle plays and power plays. They share the ball and want the pressure. In short, they've been awesome. And they are both loved in the locker room because they're good natured and egoless by star-player standards.

Link to article: https://www.espn.com/olympics/baske...eaways-team-usa-fiba-world-cup-win-montenegro

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I admit that I care more about Team USA's Sunday game than about today's ISU-UNI match-up. You can catch them - against a very good Lithuania team - Sunday at 7:40 AM Central:

1693661621581.png

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Check out these snippets from ESPN's "key takeways" from the USA's win over Montenegro on Friday:

When Team USA went down 16 points in a warmup game against Germany on Aug. 21 in Abu Dhabi, coach Steve Kerr leaned on bench players Tyrese Haliburton and Austin Reaves to finish the game.

When some mild adversity struck again Friday in a FIBA World Cup second-round game against Montenegro, Kerr did it again. And again, Haliburton and Reaves made play after play on their way to securing the 85-73 win.

But the way Haliburton and Reaves have stood out over the past month has been one of the most important lessons for the U.S. team from this tournament.

But when it really matters, this team is led by Reaves and Haliburton. They push the opposition out farther from the basket. They play lightning-quick. They pass the ball up the floor. They make hustle plays and power plays. They share the ball and want the pressure. In short, they've been awesome. And they are both loved in the locker room because they're good natured and egoless by star-player standards.

Link to article: https://www.espn.com/olympics/baske...eaways-team-usa-fiba-world-cup-win-montenegro

That’s what I’ve noticed too. Ball flies around court with Haliburton and Reaves. Reaves can do basically anything on offense.

For that starting five there are times it’s just clear the other team has absolutely no answer for Edwards, but the other four haven’t really produced more than the first five off bench, which could be by design since it seems the whole team is averaging around 20 minutes/game.

• Agree
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I’ve caught end of a few games live but mostly watching replays. These are pretty early west coast haha.
Oh, man. Forget the W Coast. I can't even see non-US games live on the East Coast. I have really enjoyed the tournament though.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Quarterfinals
Tuesday - USA 100, Italy 63
Tuesday - Serbia 87, Lithuania 68
Wednesday, 3:30 a.m. CT - Germany vs Latvia (ESPN+)
Wednesday, 7:15 a.m. CT - Canada vs Slovenia (ESPN+)

Semifinals
Friday, 3:30 a.m. CT - SRB vs CAN/SLO (ESPN+)
Friday, 7:30 a.m. CT - USA vs GER/LAT (ESPN2/ESPN+)

3rd Place
Sunday, 3:15 a.m. CT

Championship
Sunday, 7:25 a.m. CT

• Informative
Reactions: LLCoolCY

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Some may not be aware that the FIBA World Cup also serves as an Olympic Qualifying tournament and the highest-placed teams in each region qualify, depending on the number of slots allotted to said region.

It appears that the teams of all 4 ex-Clones have qualified for the 2024 Olympics: USA, Canada, Puerto Rico and South Sudan (the highest placed African nation at the WC).

That does not mean that all 4 will go but the chances are high. I would think George would definitely be there, representing Puerto Rico and Melvin has been active with almost all team competitions for Canada for many years. It'd be great if all 4 could be in the Olympics next year.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Some may not be aware that the FIBA World Cup also serves as an Olympic Qualifying tournament and the highest-placed teams in each region qualify, depending on the number of slots allotted to said region.

It appears that the teams of all 4 ex-Clones have qualified for the 2024 Olympics: USA, Canada, Puerto Rico and South Sudan (the highest placed African nation at the WC).

That does not mean that all 4 will go but the chances are high. I would think George would definitely be there, representing Puerto Rico and Melvin has been active with almost all team competitions for Canada for many years. It'd be great if all 4 could be in the Olympics next year.
I think it's worthwhile to especially highlight Ejim and Canada. They've qualified for their first Olympics since 2000. Like you said, Melvin was active with team Canada through some of those down years, so it's nice that he's getting to experience more success now.

Their rotations have shortened up the last couple of games, so he's only gotten 4 minutes in each one, but over the course of the World Cup, he's averaging the most minutes of any of Canada's non-NBA players.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I think it's worthwhile to especially highlight Ejim and Canada. They've qualified for their first Olympics since 2000. Like you said, Melvin was active with team Canada through some of those down years, so it's nice that he's getting to experience more success now.

Their rotations have shortened up the last couple of games, so he's only gotten 4 minutes in each one, but over the course of the World Cup, he's averaging the most minutes of any of Canada's non-NBA players.

It’s really wild Canada hasn’t had more international success, I keep expecting them to be a regular top 4 as an nba fan just seeing their players in the league.

Conditt really looks like he belongs at this level, he must be having a lot of fun.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
It’s really wild Canada hasn’t had more international success, I keep expecting them to be a regular top 4 as an nba fan just seeing their players in the league.

Conditt really looks like he belongs at this level, he must be having a lot of fun.
Yeah, it's interesting. They definitely have more talent now than they've had in the past, but looking at their past rosters, they have usually had a few current or former NBA guys on the team. That seems like it should have been enough to at least make the Olympics somewhere in there. I wonder if it's been an issue similar to the U.S. of not having a cohesive enough national team roster and infrastructure to have a clear identity, but simultaneously not having the talent that the U.S. has to be able to overcome that.

Also saw a throwback name on Canada's 2017 FIBA AmeriCup roster: Richard Amardi.