Fighting Camera Tickets?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
But with a 12mph buffer, it is reasonable, consistent application to everyone. It seem much more fair than just picking and choosing who the rules apply to - which can lead to favoritism and bias.

As I stated up thread, you can face your "accuser" (the CR police department) either in an administrative hearing or in front of a judge. it is true that these are a civil fine against the owner of the vehicle, rather than a criminal fine - but they are no different than a parking ticket. I've never heard of a parking ticket violating your 6th Amendment right - just because you weren't there when the ticket was issued.

But a police officer sitting stationary in a vehicle watching 4-lanes of traffic can? ********.

That's your opinion - it's not backed up by facts. It's also an accusation of motive not backed up by any direct knowledge - basically it's letting your political beliefs demean local law enforcement. Facts show that the cameras have made the intersections and that stretch of I-380 safer.

I believe revenue goes the the Cedar Rapids police general fund (I also have heard that it was initially earmarked for the police pension fund). That would result in more job security, more job opportunities, more potential for increases in pay, would it not? So the very person you are relying on to be impartial has the potential to personally benefit from your "guilt".

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
Lets say, for argument sake, that you were going 70 in a 55.

Example A: you were caught by a patrol car and they gave you a ticket

Example B: you were caught by a camera and they gave you a ticket.

Regardless of your opinions on the speed cameras - there REALLY isn't a big difference between the two. In both cases you were speeding, you were caught and you were given a ticket.

You have a right to face your accuser. Is the camera going to show up in court? Also, the driver of the vehicle is not charged for a camera ticket. The owner of the vehicle is. So the cameras aren't even attempting to determine who the driver in the photo is, which is what security cameras do for other illegal activities when used in court.

• Agree
Reactions: jkclone

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
You have a right to face your accuser. Is the camera going to show up in court? Also, the driver of the vehicle is not charged for a camera ticket. The owner of the vehicle is. So the cameras aren't even attempting to determine who the driver in the photo is, which is what security cameras do for other illegal activities when used in court.

What if they brought the camera into court, and while you were questioning it, it was just playing a loop of you getting caught speeding?

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I believe revenue goes the the Cedar Rapids police general fund (I also have heard that it was initially earmarked for the police pension fund). That would result in more job security, more job opportunities, more potential for increases in pay, would it not? So the very person you are relying on to be impartial has the potential to personally benefit from your "guilt".

Does that fundamentally differ from a parking ticket?

You always have the option to appeal it to a judge.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

No, all tickets are issued by an officer reviewing the video. The camera doesn't issue the ticket, the officer does.

As for issuing the ticket, it's no different than a parking ticket. The person issuing the parking ticket isn't even attempting to determine who parked the car there.

• Agree
Reactions: Me State

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
The camera ticket is accusing you of owning a car, not speeding.
post-51491-LOST-Hurley-WHAT-gif-Imgur-gfy-hgvM.gif

You should probably know already if you own and were driving the car.

• Funny
Reactions: cyhiphopp

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Wait, how does this right to face your accuser work in other crimes where someone is caught on camera? Isn't the accuser whoever reviews the tape and deems it worthy of charging you with something?

• Agree
Reactions: bawbie

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
No, all tickets are issued by an officer reviewing the video. The camera doesn't issue the ticket, the officer does.

As for issuing the ticket, it's no different than a parking ticket. The person issuing the parking ticket isn't even attempting to determine who parked the car there.

The officer is looking at the license plate, not the driver. No guilt has been proven.

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
Wait, how does this right to face your accuser work in other crimes where someone is caught on camera? Isn't the accuser whoever reviews the tape and deems it worthy of charging you with something?

The speed cameras and officers reviewing them aren't determining who was driving the vehicle.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Simple solution: Don't go 12 over?

It's pathetic that people get caught doing something they know they were in the wrong doing but try to weasel out of it. Put on the adult pants and admit you f'd up and got caught.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
And if someone else was driving your car? You get the ticket. Not that hard to understand. For some of us, anyway.
I agree, it's very easy to understand. If I lend my car to someone and they park it in front of a fire hydrant I'm going to get a ticket. Same if they get caught by a speed camera or a red light camera.

• Agree
Reactions: Me State

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
Thank you. I'm not paying it.

BUT.........Is it like the past due library book from 25 years ago that comes back to haunt you at the worst opportune time? The $2.00 late fee after 25 years of penalties and fees has grown to $486.48.

The very last sentence in the report was it for me. Corbert "pay $75 to clear your conscience." My luck I'm 65 years old with 2 grand kids in the back seat and I get pulled over and hauled away because of a $75 camera ticket 30 years earlier.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Personal opinion is you were speeding and if you were going that speed a half mile down the road it would have been dangerous especially in heavy traffic and could very well have caused accidents which is why the cameras were put up.

It comes down to a moral thing for me. Did you break a law and get caught? Yup. Now it is up to you how you respond.

I drive that stretch regularly and I generally go about 5 over. I have always done that but now it helps to keep me safe in case I space off since I would only be going 10 over and not 12 thus no ticket.

• Agree
Reactions: bawbie

Help Support Us

Become a patron