Fighting Camera Tickets?

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
I agree, it's very easy to understand. If I lend my car to someone and they park it in front of a fire hydrant I'm going to get a ticket. Same if they get caught by a speed camera or a red light camera.

I think the difference we aren't agreeing on is there aren't two types of parking tickets, while speeding tickets from police vs cameras are. They had to make up a new process to bring in the camera revenue. And now that the DOT is in charge of regulating where cameras can be for safety reasons on highways, cities refuse to follow these rules because they will lose the revenue.

• Agree
Reactions: jkclone

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Personal opinion is you were speeding and if you were going that speed a half mile down the road it would have been dangerous especially in heavy traffic and could very well have caused accidents which is why the cameras were put up.

It comes down to a moral thing for me. Did you break a law and get caught? Yup. Now it is up to you how you respond.

I drive that stretch regularly and I generally go about 5 over. I have always done that but now it helps to keep me safe in case I space off since I would only be going 10 over and not 12 thus no ticket.

I always speed (unlike the OP) and I've driven that stretch of road on average twice daily since the cameras were put up and never gotten a ticket there - 12 over is actually a lot.

The one camera ticket I got was at the intersection with the cameras I driver through the least - Williams and 16th in SW.

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
Personal opinion is you were speeding and if you were going that speed a half mile down the road it would have been dangerous especially in heavy traffic and could very well have caused accidents which is why the cameras were put up.

It comes down to a moral thing for me. Did you break a law and get caught? Yup. Now it is up to you how you respond.

I drive that stretch regularly and I generally go about 5 over. I have always done that but now it helps to keep me safe in case I space off since I would only be going 10 over and not 12 thus no ticket.

If it's truly a moral thing for you, and you admit to going 5 over, have you turned yourself in?

Reactions: Cyclonepride

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I think the difference we aren't agreeing on is there aren't two types of parking tickets, while speeding tickets from police vs cameras are. They had to make up a new process to bring in the camera revenue. And now that the DOT is in charge of regulating where cameras can be for safety reasons on highways, cities refuse to follow these rules because they will lose the revenue.

Again with the assigning of motives - assuming that local police don't have safety in mind, they only care about revenue. It's really demeaning.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Wow people sure have strong feelings about speeding here. Speed limits are designed for the lowest common denominator of drivers. If it’s 30 mph or lower I’ll go about 5 over, anything higher 5-10, and like 15 on the interstate. I also won’t whine if I get a ticket though, but have only had like 3 in my life.

A ton of us have driven the interstate between DSM and Ames, and everyone goes 10-15 over on there.

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
Again with the assigning of motives - assuming that local police don't have safety in mind, they only care about revenue. It's really demeaning.

Well, the motives were clear when Clive decided to take down their red light cameras. One councilman openly complained that they had already budgeted for spending the camera revenues that were going to be lost.

• Agree
Reactions: jkclone

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Do you work for the city? City officials have basically admitted it is all about money.

No, I don't work for the city. I have seem presentations by the police department on the safety gains from the cameras - but more importantly I've seen first hand how much safer those stretches of roads are.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Wow people sure have strong feelings about speeding here. Speed limits are designed for the lowest common denominator of drivers. If it’s 30 mph or lower I’ll go about 5 over, anything higher 5-10, and like 15 on the interstate. I also won’t whine if I get a ticket though, but have only had like 3 in my life.

A ton of us have driven the interstate between DSM and Ames, and everyone goes 10-15 over on there.

I drive 35 between Ames and Ankeny every day doing 78 when I'm not stuck between lines of traffic (ha!). Going 85 on that stretch is a great way to end up in an accident

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
If it's truly a moral thing for you, and you admit to going 5 over, have you turned yourself in?

That is not the point. I have not gotten a ticket. He has. If I would have gotten a ticket and it was legitimate then yes I would pay it and probably adjust my habits at least in that area (the intent of fines and what not).

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
If you have one ticket, you'll be fine. Speed camera tickets are civil, not criminal, and won't affect your license. They used to affect your credit rating, but they do not anymore.

What will happen is the city of Cedar Rapids will turn you over to a collection agency. The agency will attempt to contact you and get you to pay in a very annoying fashion for a period of time. If you don't pay, it'll be over. Cedar Rapids could theoretically sue you for the money, but the
Mayor has already said they won't do that over $75.

So either you pay and it's done or you don't and you'll basically be harassed by a collections agency for a while. That's your decision.

Actually ive gotten one speeding ticket and one "Keeping downtown des moines safe" ticket from stopping over the line. I didn't pay either one and no consequences after you send a letter back saying I wasn't driving and I wont incriminate anyone else.

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
That is not the point. I have not gotten a ticket. He has. If I would have gotten a ticket and it was legitimate then yes I would pay it and probably adjust my habits at least in that area (the intent of fines and what not).

So you only believe in morals if you get caught. Otherwise, everything is free game. Understood.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Any potential conflict of interest is immoral? huh? I'm really lost with the anti-police rhetoric coming from the right on this topic. It seems so weird.

Creating a huge automatic revenue generating system that unquestionably benefits law enforcement budgets is not just a potential conflict of interest. And it's not anti-police, it's anti-police state, or anti-overbearing government. The subservience of some on this topic has not surprised me in the least.