First Place

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Are there enough tie breakers to break a 6 way tie at the end of the season. Seeding at the Big 12 tournament will be interesting.

@mred could answer that question.

I'm seeing some coin flips when I put together a 6-way tiebreak scenario.

I took the default results, gave TCU losses to OSU and KSU, and gave Texas a loss to KSU.

Big 12 Standings

1. Iowa St (12 - 6)
With Kansas St and TCU, defeated Baylor, Kansas, and Texas based on round-robin record (6-4). Defeated Kansas St and TCU based on round-robin record (3-1).
2. Kansas St (12 - 6) With Iowa St and TCU, defeated Baylor, Kansas, and Texas based on round-robin record (6-4). Defeated TCU and lost to Iowa St based on round-robin record (2-2).
3. TCU (12 - 6) With Iowa St and Kansas St, defeated Baylor, Kansas, and Texas based on round-robin record (6-4). Lost to Iowa St and Kansas St based on round-robin record (1-3).
4. Baylor (12 - 6) With Kansas and Texas, lost to Iowa St, Kansas St, and TCU based on round-robin record (4-6). Defeated Kansas and Texas based on draw (not actual placement: you must check yourself).
5. Kansas (12 - 6) With Baylor and Texas, lost to Iowa St, Kansas St, and TCU based on round-robin record (4-6). Defeated Texas and lost to Baylor based on draw (not actual placement: you must check yourself).
6. Texas (12 - 6) With Baylor and Kansas, lost to Iowa St, Kansas St, and TCU based on round-robin record (4-6). Lost to Baylor and Kansas based on draw (not actual placement: you must check yourself).
7. W Virginia (7 - 11)
8. Okla St (6 - 12)
9. Oklahoma (4 - 14)
10. Texas Tech (1 - 17)

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Isaacs got hurt in the game. Landed on a WVU players heel and rolled his ankle. Put no weight on it as they took him back to the locker room and eventually came back in street clothes and a boot.
Was just talking about this with a co-worker - they might be better without him. Having a high-volume inefficient scorer in a system which emphasizes effort, length, and defense could breed a lot of discontent. They have won with team effort, and having a "me" style player - even if that is what he is supposed to do - seems dicey to me.

Now watch him come back and score 30 on us. Either that, or its the Ewing effect. I am horrified about this game happening less than 48 hours after Mizzou.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Was just talking about this with a co-worker - they might be better without him. Having a high-volume inefficient scorer in a system which emphasizes effort, length, and defense could breed a lot of discontent. They have won with team effort, and having a "me" style player - even if that is what he is supposed to do - seems dicey to me.

Now watch him come back and score 30 on us. Either that, or its the Ewing effect. I am horrified about this game happening less than 48 hours after Mizzou.
Valid concern but if this team is going to be B12 champs then those are the games they need to win. TTU has nothing to play for other than vengeance for the ass kicking they received which is pretty good motivation.

As much as I despise KU you gotta respect they took everyone's best shots through the years because they were the top dog and always had a target. Since we are on the top we are going to have to take those same shots.

NebrClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006

I took the default results, gave TCU losses to OSU and KSU, and gave Texas a loss to KSU.

Big 12 Standings

1. Iowa St (12 - 6)
With Kansas St and TCU, defeated Baylor, Kansas, and Texas based on round-robin record (6-4). Defeated Kansas St and TCU based on round-robin record (3-1).
2. Kansas St (12 - 6) With Iowa St and TCU, defeated Baylor, Kansas, and Texas based on round-robin record (6-4). Defeated TCU and lost to Iowa St based on round-robin record (2-2).
3. TCU (12 - 6) With Iowa St and Kansas St, defeated Baylor, Kansas, and Texas based on round-robin record (6-4). Lost to Iowa St and Kansas St based on round-robin record (1-3).
4. Baylor (12 - 6) With Kansas and Texas, lost to Iowa St, Kansas St, and TCU based on round-robin record (4-6). Defeated Kansas and Texas based on draw (not actual placement: you must check yourself).
5. Kansas (12 - 6) With Baylor and Texas, lost to Iowa St, Kansas St, and TCU based on round-robin record (4-6). Defeated Texas and lost to Baylor based on draw (not actual placement: you must check yourself).
6. Texas (12 - 6) With Baylor and Kansas, lost to Iowa St, Kansas St, and TCU based on round-robin record (4-6). Lost to Baylor and Kansas based on draw (not actual placement: you must check yourself).
7. W Virginia (7 - 11)
8. Okla St (6 - 12)
9. Oklahoma (4 - 14)
10. Texas Tech (1 - 17)

Complicated, but I like your results.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
My bigger concern is managing egos and getting buy in from these higher rated recruits as opposed to the youth issue. We have seen that be an issue at ISU before, and Otz hasn't had to deal with that angle yet.
Not sure why it is assumed Omaha (I assume that is who you are referring to) has an ego? From everything I have read he is a GREAT kid. He was elected homecoming king. Id assume he is a level headed and kind kid. No reason whatsoever to think he isnt coming here with one goal in mind and that is to win. If you win the individual accolades and individual rewards will come. Not to mention the frontcourt is wide open next year. He will get all the minutes he can handle.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
It's ridiculous. Tj took us to a sweet 16 with a rag tag group and has us in the hunt for a big 12 title with another bunch of pieces from the scrap heap.

CF: "YeAh But Im WoRrIeD wItH WhAt He WiLl Do WiTh HiGh EnD tAlEnT?!"

Well, to be fair it is only one poster that I've seen bringing that up.

But yes, it is pure silliness. And I hate silly.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Oh, I'm one of them. It's the most widely used analytic in the business. Its a fantastic tool that helps you parse out things via Tempo and efficiency.

People just need to realize that it's not a ranking. Its literally sorting teams by the difference between their adjusted offensive efficiency and their adjusted defensive efficiency. It's not a guy ranking things, and its not a computer ranking.

That's pretty much impossible when college basketball centers around a tournament where a committee ranks resumes for a field of 68.

It's a contradiction...the most popular metric/ranking isn't designed to do the only thing that actually matters for college BB.

I do see the value in it as a fan looking at how we went from a terrible team offensively and are moving up 4-5 spots almost weekly this year and you can see it on the court just because the offense is actually fun to watch. Splitting out the offense and defense in a widely followed ranking does a lot for discussing and obsessing over the teams.

Cyclonefan710

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2012
Well, to be fair it is only one poster that I've seen bringing that up.

But yes, it is pure silliness. And I hate silly.
It’s really not lol maybe he hasn’t had a lot of high upside talent but his rosters have been very seasoned to this point and not a lot of egos. I mean we had one high major talent recruit last year and he left…..

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
I've wondered a little about that. Getting highly touted freshman to buy in could be a challenge. That being said any one watching this team knows that team and defense come 1st and individual glory way down the list.
I'm assuming the staff and upperclassmen will set the tone and teach the young ones what needs to be done.
I feel like TJ is a no bull crap kind of recruiter. He tells the guys if you come here this is absolutely the expectation of you. Now things may not work out from time to time with a guy, but it will be known how we want to play and what we expect/hope from them. I think this style will help ease transitions between eras, so to speak.

Cytasticlone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 22, 2012
Ames, IA

Big 12 Standings

1. Iowa St (12 - 6)
7. W Virginia (7 - 11)
8. Okla St (6 - 12)
9. Oklahoma (4 - 14)
10. Texas Tech (1 - 17)

This is absolutely amazing! Being an ISU fan and a "root for chaos" kind of person this would be a dream scenario. Although, KU getting at share of the Championship while being in the 4-6 seed range for the BigXII Tourney would be the most KU thing the KU has ever KU'd.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019

Big 12 Standings

1. Iowa St (12 - 6)
7. W Virginia (7 - 11)
8. Okla St (6 - 12)
9. Oklahoma (4 - 14)
10. Texas Tech (1 - 17)

this would be insane but i don't think all that out of the question.

• Agree
Reactions: Cytasticlone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Because we have seen it before with our own eyes in the McDermott era. He had been winning at a clip that UNI hadn't seen before with a rag tag group buying in to his system. They went to the dance and knocked off some good teams. Then he came to ISU and signed some great recruits and we were all jacked thinking about what he was going to do now that he had all this additional talent. Then the wheels fell off, and the narrative has always been he couldn't get the buy in and manage the egos of those higher ranked recruits.

Otz is at the point of making that same transition. I'm hopeful we have some upper class players to set the tone, that we are recruiting guys that also fit for chaacter, and that TJ has the tools to put it together. But some people here already want to back up the Brinks truck on TJs front lawn while measuring the rafters at Hilton for all the new banners. I'm just saying we should wait to see a little more as we move into next season before doing anything drastic. Seen too many coaches here start hot and then struggle to sustain it after we get locked in to bigger contracts. McDermoot, Prohm, CPR over on the football side. We need to reward success, but we need to be smart about it.

So much JFC in this.

TJ is about to take ISU to a 2nd straight tourney which McD never even came close to. Nobody's anointing him anything but there's no evidence to support this kind of stuff.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I feel like TJ is a no bull crap kind of recruiter. He tells the guys if you come here this is absolutely the expectation of you. Now things may not work out from time to time with a guy, but it will be known how we want to play and what we expect/hope from them. I think this style will help ease transitions between eras, so to speak.

You summarized it well.

The line of thinking in recent pages about this (mainly by 1 person) is that simply because the "caliber/talent" of HS recruits is climbing, it automatically suggests those guys are likely to be more self-centered, lazy or poor fit for the system. But we have to assume those things are baked into the recruiting process ... only difference is some might have higher upside & impact, (collectively, if not individually).

Reactions: MeanDean

Help Support Us

Become a patron