Football Tiebreaker Rule Change

Lewey24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 2, 2020
Dubuque, IA
Sounding like the Big 12 is going to be “clarifying” the tiebreaker rules tomorrow. Currently, in a multiple-team tie, the round robin tiebreaker only applies if every team has played every other team tied. Sounds like they’re changing it in a way that will benefit Oklahoma State, where the tiebreaker applies if one team has defeated every other tied team.

jcf817

Mar 2, 2023
North Carolina
Sounding like the Big 12 is going to be “clarifying” the tiebreaker rules tomorrow. Currently, in a multiple-team tie, the round robin tiebreaker only applies if every team has played every other team tied. Sounds like they’re changing it in a way that will benefit Oklahoma State, where the tiebreaker applies if one team has defeated every other tied team.
That would benefit us if we win out.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames

How does this benefit Oklahoma St, given they have not played Texas?

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
How does this benefit Oklahoma St, given they have not played Texas?
If Texas wins out (which is the most likely outcome), they wouldn't be tied with OSU. But this would give OSU the nod if they found themselves in a 3-way tie with OSU and KSU.

Reactions: Lewey24

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
If we win out we would have the win over Texas and OSU. We would all be tied at 7-2 assuming we all win our last games.
If they win out OU would also be tied at 7-2, who we don't have the win over, so this expected clarification doesn't help us unless OU drops another game.

PickSix

Aug 25, 2013
If they win out OU would also be tied at 7-2, who we don't have the win over, so this expected clarification doesn't help us unless OU drops another game.
Or if OU wins the first tiebreaker and we end up tied with UT and OSU. Then it helps us.

Problem is I'm not sure what the first tiebreaker would be in a four way tie.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonsin

Dale

Mar 5, 2010
Chicagoland
Huh. According to Mred's calculator even currently winning out doesn't get us in if Texas (except ISU), OU, and OSU win their remaining games.
Yeah, right now Iowa State needs an OU or an OSU loss (along, of course, with winning their last two games). That may change tomorrow, though -- and if it does, it would be neutral for ISU at worst.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Crap. You're probably right. Not sure what happens in a 4 way tie at 7-2. My brain hurts too much.
Historically wouldn't it be the highest ranked teams play (TX + OU) to provide the best chance to put one in the playoffs. However, I think they should be omitted from tie breaker scenarios and I hope the clarification process does exactly that without expressly stating it

Reactions: PickSix

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
so if we tie with osu ou and tu we should go since we would be 2-1 ou 2-1 osu1-1 and tu 0-2 right? that’s the way it should have been.
I think they are saying Okie St doesn't get penalized for not having the 2nd win. In other words 2-1 = 1-1 so it goes to the next tie breaker.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I think you have to consider that the number one spot and the number two spot are considered separately.

So in a tiebreaker situation, for Iowa State to benefit you want Oklahoma to finish number one (because we did not beat them) and then Iowa State Oklahoma State and Texas to be tied for number two, at which point Iowa State would get in because it'd be both Oklahoma State and Texas in that scenario (whereas they currently would not because of Oklahoma State did not play Texas)