Football Tiebreaker Rule Change

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
If OSU, Texas, OU, ISU tie at 7-2. The 4 way round robin currently gets skipped due to OSU vs Texas not happening. The outcome of that game would have impacted who gets eliminated. So in that scenario skipping it makes sense.
ISU (2-1)
OU (2-1)
OSU (1-1)
UT (0-2)
In this hypothetical situation, the first logical step is to eliminate Texas from the tiebreaker. Even if TX plays and beats OSU, a win doesn't move them into top two. So TX should be eliminated from contention. Then, consider the other three who are all 1-1 vs each other

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
It feels like what they ought to do in that situation is eliminate Texas because the best they could be is 1-2 if all the teams played each other, but I know (or at least think) that isn’t how they do it.
Beat me to it

Didley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 19, 2019
It feels like what they ought to do in that situation is eliminate Texas because the best they could be is 1-2 if all the teams played each other, but I know (or at least think) that isn’t how they do it.
thats true. And in 3 way tie break with OU, ISU, and OSU i think we still end up with Bedlam 2.0. The only way we come up as top 2 of that 4 team tiebreaker is to say top 2 records regardless of games played. I can get on board with that, but only because it benefits us. Lol

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
There are basketball tiebreakers that do something like that -- if the number of games is unequal, one team is above another if there's no way for the second team to "catch" the first team if they did play the extra games (that was a fun one to program). But in this case they still wouldn't be separated: UT could catch OSU and OSU could catch ISU/OU, so there's no true split point you can use.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I'm trying to imagine the meeting in which the tiebreaker rules were presented and accepted. Surely Pollard didn't vote for them in their current form. He would have seen the problems and proposed a more reasonable and straightforward way to handle ties. Maybe the motion came up just before lunch and it passed quickly because everyone was hungry.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
That would not help ISU because we always take Sept off for personal growth. (it does seem to help once we get in conference)
I meant between the tied teams. So if you have
ISU 2-1
OU 2-1
OSU 1-1
UT 0-2

You would then take ISU and OU which then goes to a head to head which OU wins. Then it is back to the other 3 and we are 2-0 so we win. Why punish teams that played tougher teams?

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
I meant between the tied teams. So if you have
ISU 2-1
OU 2-1
OSU 1-1
UT 0-2

You would then take ISU and OU which then goes to a head to head which OU wins. Then it is back to the other 3 and we are 2-0 so we win. Why punish teams that played tougher teams?
That's about right. But rather than highest win percentage, I think they will/should go with most wins between/among the teams in the tie. If that doesn't break the tie, then look at fewest losses.

Imagine that 7 teams are tied for first at 6-3. Let's say the records amongst the games played by the teams tied are this:

Team 1: 4-1
Team 2: 4-2
Team 3: 3-1
Team 4: 3-3
Team 5: 1-3
Team 6: 1-3
Team 7: 0-3

You should take Teams 1 and 2 in the above scenario. They won the most games against the best teams. Team 3 has a better win percentage than Team 2 (among the teams in the tie), but Team 3 had an easier overall schedule. Team 3 got to play 5 games against the bottom half of the conference while Team 2 only played 3 games against the bottom half.

Last edited:

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
After our win tonight against Texas (fingers crossed), we need to put pressure on Yormack to change/clarify the tiebreaker rules one more time. OSU got a rule change a few days ago that benefits them in the event of a 3-way tie. There also needs to be a rule change/clarification in the event of a 4-way or 5-way tie. Teams that are 2-1 should advance ahead of teams that are 1-1. It should only come down to best common opponent if there are 3 teams with a 2-1 record (for example).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron