Former Texas HC, now assaulter, fired

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Texas is an at-will state. As long as UT didn't fire him for an illegal reason... race, religion, age, disability, pregnancy, or as retaliation for him lodging a complaint of some kind or being a whistleblower... they can fire him for any other reason or for no reason at all. At least that's how I understand it.

But he had a contract. I don't think at-will employment matters when a contract is involved.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
That's not how his contract was worded. The initial charge is all that was required to terminate him. He can try to sue, but he will lose. What do you think Texas was doing that whole time between his initial suspension and the termination? The Longhorn legal team made 100% sure they were on solid footing before they pulled the trigger on firing him. And the possibility of the charges being dropped was absolutely one of the scenarios they considered before deciding to can him.

He won't sue. If he sues he gets deposed, has to testify, etc. about what actually happened that night, plus any other salacious details about his life that would go towards him being fired for cause. I can't imagine he wants to have to do that.