Former UNI guard Nate Heise taking visit to Ames Monday (committed)

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Really glad to get Heise, but to be honest, I feel bad for poaching UNI because I want them to be the second best team in the state.

Gonna agree to disagree there. If i had a preference i'd go

ISU
Drake
UNI
Iowa

But UNI and Iowa aren't far apart given the high percentage of pantherhawk fans.

And honestly iowa is a small state. I've never bought the "good for the state" argument for all teams being good. I'd rather ISU have the local media stage to itself any given march, so any year the other 3 all miss on the tournament would be a good one.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
well i watched every game and attend every home game , there is a different in mid major players and UNI don't fit that

I honestly have no idea what kind of point you're trying to make, but at the very least it seems like you are shifting the goal posts? Mid-major players are okay to take, but not UNI's leading scorer?

Regardless of whatever it is you are trying to write though I think I'll take the opinion of a coach who has won 70 games and made the Sweet 16 twice in only three years when it comes to deciding whom to offer a scholarship to. But hey; since you've chosen to die on this rather strange hill maybe you can call up TJ and give him your suggestion with your experience as a D I athlete to pull the offer from Heise and see how that goes.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Gonna agree to disagree there. If i had a preference i'd go

ISU
Drake
UNI
Iowa

But UNI and Iowa aren't far apart given the high percentage of pantherhawk fans.

And honestly iowa is a small state. I've never bought the "good for the state" argument for all teams being good. I'd rather ISU have the local media stage to itself any given march, so any year the other 3 all miss on the tournament would be a good one.

So, I do respect you and your posts for the most part, but as you can see I have to disagree with this.

And part of that is natural, of course, with me being a well-established dual fan. Personally my favorite NCAA touraments are those when both UNI and ISU make it in. Hell, back in 2015 the only thing that saved the opening weekend for me after ISU lost to freakin' UAB was being able to watch UNI win their 1st round game the next day.

But, (and this is where I expect to get some dislikes, disagrees, and even a couple of dumbs, which is fine. Sports are tribal after all), your last paragraph, at least for me, is exactly why I've written on occasion about the highly insecure nature of the ISU fanbase. IMO it reeks of entitlement; "Only WE get to be a good team! Only WE get to have the shiny toys! You hear me? Only us! Only us!"

It is not a zero sum game; UNI being good has no adverse impact on ISU or vice versa, whatever the level of media coverage. Different conferences, different levels of recruiting, etc.

Blast away. I'm ready for the arrows....

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Not necessarily with NIL.

With the right sized check and potential for playing time, maybe both Hadley and Heise make sense. TJ has proven one thing over his first 3 years, the best players play! Whether that is true freshman like Lipsey or Momcilovic. Or a transfer from Denver named Rob Jones.
If it comes to $ I doubt we beat MSU.
Hoping he has a great relationship with his cousin. TJ is a great recruiter. Izzo is Izzo.
Seems like a 50/50 chance to me.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Don’t know why we get so caught up on the archaic positions of 1,2 3,4,5. TJ and staff will simply put out lineups that can defend, score and rebound well enough. Might be 1,1,3,3,4. Might be 1,3,3,5,5… ect.
Totally true. Only 1 and 5 have some semblance of a remaining definition - imho.
As an old guy, I do sometimes find it helpful in describing what kind of player recruits are.
I almost always refer to “traditional” position in describing somebodies game.
Right now I think our biggest need is a “traditional 4.”

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
So, I do respect you and your posts for the most part, but as you can see I have to disagree with this.

And part of that is natural, of course, with me being a well-established dual fan. Personally my favorite NCAA touraments are those when both UNI and ISU make it in. Hell, back in 2015 the only thing that saved the opening weekend for me after ISU lost to freakin' UAB was being able to watch UNI win their 1st round game the next day.

But, (and this is where I expect to get some dislikes, disagrees, and even a couple of dumbs, which is fine. Sports are tribal after all), your last paragraph, at least for me, is exactly why I've written on occasion about the highly insecure nature of the ISU fanbase. IMO it reeks of entitlement; "Only WE get to be a good team! Only WE get to have the shiny toys! You hear me? Only us! Only us!"

It is not a zero sum game; UNI being good has no adverse impact on ISU or vice versa, whatever the level of media coverage. Different conferences, different levels of recruiting, etc.

Blast away. I'm ready for the arrows....
I don’t think it is so much a feeling of “entitlement”. I think this mindset comes from years (decades?) of unfair coverage by many of our state’s TV stations and newspapers. There are far too many examples of our Cyclones winning a big game, yet the lead news story is how the hawkeyes dominated Southwest St. Mary’s Tech in underwater basket weaving or tiddlywinks!

Lineup

Jan 7, 2017
well i watched every game and attend every home game , there is a different in mid major players and UNI don't fit that
nobody made thousands and millions when i was in school so what are youu not getting

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron