Fran McCaffery and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Transfer Portal

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I mean... that's funny, no doubt.... but pretty off brand for the Franster. Is he turning over a new leaf?
I am hoping it was done without his knowledge or approval - like some intern put it together and they just put it out there. And somewhere Fran is at FranCon -50 about it.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Seems like a bit of a hail mary. Seems like a lot of mid major interest.
Agree. Low major to high major is a complete coin flip. Ultimately though it is better than offering a scholarship the starting point guard that just graduated from Marion, or one of the Iowa City/ Cedar Rapids high schools.

Morehead State is a good low major program for what it's worth. He will bring more NCAA tournament experience than anyone on the roster currently

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Can we talk about Bluder getting to out spend Fran in the portal. LOL Iowa's pushing their chips all in for womens hoops which is pretty hilarious.
They certainly have a coattails effect from the Clark hype, and it's paying off huge. In a parallel world, I think it's what would ideally have happened to us after the Fiesta Bowl season with regard to transfers and recruits, but hasn't materialized to a fraction of what it's doing out East.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
They certainly have a coattails effect from the Clark hype, and it's paying off huge. In a parallel world, I think it's what would ideally have happened to us after the Fiesta Bowl season with regard to transfers and recruits, but hasn't materialized to a fraction of what it's doing out East.

I get that but I'm laughing at the fact that the ROI is much smaller for womens hoops. Yes Carver was sold out all season but nobody mentions what the price of those tickets were...

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I don't think it matters in the grand scheme. Ask Steve Prohm what's it's like to be the guy who replaced the guy.

plus weird timing, this is the type of player they needed to go out and get this past offseason. I'm sure they are content to be back to back runner ups though

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I get that but I'm laughing at the fact that the ROI is much smaller for womens hoops. Yes Carver was sold out all season but nobody mentions what the price of those tickets were...
They lost money on their women's program just like every other school. There is not data out for this season, but for 22/23 season where they also went to the final four the women's program lost about $4.5 million.

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
It seems like a no brainer to me. Pump money into a mediocre men's program that has a clear ceiling of the round of 32 or pump money into the women's program to try and maintain the current momentum and excitement. ROI is obviously higher with men's basketball but even men's basketball isn't exactly a huge money maker outside of the blue blood schools and a few others. I'd rather they spend money to try and continue being one of the top women's teams than just another team in men's basketball.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
It seems like a no brainer to me. Pump money into a mediocre men's program that has a clear ceiling of the round of 32 or pump money into the women's program to try and maintain the current momentum and excitement. ROI is obviously higher with men's basketball but even men's basketball isn't exactly a huge money maker outside of the blue blood schools and a few others. I'd rather they spend money to try and continue being one of the top women's teams than just another team in men's basketball.
I'll be interested to see if that is really achievable.
Did fans come to see WBB or Clark the top individual talent in her sport? I am guessing it is the latter.

Tennessee and UCONN WBB maintained decades of success and attendance but that was driven by HOF coaches Pat S and Geno.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

lol ok. Or and this might sound crazy! Iowa fans could support both programs.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
You would think that would be the case, but it's wrong. There just is not money in WBB at this time, the most revenue I saw from the link I provided was by S. Carolina, which brought in a little over $5 million last year, their expenses were $10.7 million. At the same time, their MBB program, not nearly as good as their WBB brought in $11.56 million. They actually made around $3 million for the school while the women's program lost over $5 million more.

ISU is much the same, the women's program was in the top 5 in attendance and still lost $4.5 million dollars, while the men's program made $7.8 million for the university. WBB just has a ceiling of around $5 million that is brought in and your expenses are more than that for many programs.

Last edited:

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
lol ok. Or and this might sound crazy! Iowa fans could support both programs.
Of course they should but the big NIL donors aren't very inspired by Fran to donate heavily to the men's program at the moment. Ultimately it's the big time donors that drive NIL not the little guys.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Holy debt balls Batman. U of Iowa is almost $1 billion more in debt than Iowa State.
U of Iowa - total institutional debt: $1,486,166,828
Iowa State - total institutional debt: $ 507,501,368

Athletic Departments only:
U of Iowa: $235,125,162
Iowa State: $114,262,531

Help Support Us

Become a patron