Fran McCaffery and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Transfer Portal

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I'll be interested to see if that is really achievable.
Did fans come to see WBB or Clark the top individual talent in her sport? I am guessing it is the latter.

Tennessee and UCONN WBB maintained decades of success and attendance but that was driven by HOF coaches Pat S and Geno.
Funny how hawk fans and media quickly forgot that they blamed bad Iowa MBB attendance not for on court performance but that Iowa City is further from Des Moines. Then CC comes around and Iowa is selling out every home women's game. Iowa fans are fair weather fans at a very minimum. CC was the flash in the pan that had the fans come to Iowa WBB games, there will be residual demand next year but that spike will fall off in the coming 2-3 seasons and they will be back to similar crowds pre-Clark.

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
I think Iowa will be relatively the same next year, however, the biggest Big 10 brands aren't all going to suck again. Michigan, Ohio St, Maryland, Indiana should all be tournament teams. UCLA has added a lot of talent.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I think Iowa will be relatively the same next year, however, the biggest Big 10 brands aren't all going to suck again. Michigan, Ohio St, Maryland, Indiana should all be tournament teams. UCLA has added a lot of talent.

The bottom half of the B1G will be bad though. There will still be a lot of winnable games for Fran and Friends.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque

They will be infinitely worse if Payton stays in the draft and they don't sign any other difference makers in the portal. The guard from Morehead is an ok piece, but I'm not sure he really moves the needle all that much. He does give them a point guard, but a point guard with no experience playing in a P5 is far from a sure thing.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
They will be infinitely worse, OFFENSIVELY, if Payton stays in the draft and they don't sign any other difference makers in the portal. The guard from Morehead is an ok piece, but I'm not sure he really moves the needle all that much. He does give them a point guard, but a point guard with no experience playing in a P5 is far from a sure thing.
They might actually be a tad better defensively without Payton - but not enough to make up for the offensive loss.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
They might actually be a tad better defensively without Payton - but not enough to make up for the offensive loss.
Correct. Without Payton who has no lateral quickness whatsoever and Ben Krikke who was a giant black hole defensively, they may be a bit better on the defensive side. I'd argue though that they lost their best defensive player in Perkins and their remaining bigs are still going to get embarrassed in the paint. So I believe they will still be quite bad in that regard.

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
The bottom half of the B1G will be bad though. There will still be a lot of winnable games for Fran and Friends.

I'm not sure I see as many bad teams as this year. Who do you view as being bad outside of Penn St and Minnesota? Maybe Northwestern?

Of course a lot of roster movement still to happen over the next month plus.

• Agree
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
6'7" forward with one year to play. Go get him Fran. I am sure he will be a program changer for you.

1713905020987.png

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Frans approach is like the garage sale shopper who shows up every day of a 3 -dayer with 5 bucks and keeps trying to negotiate 20 dollar items down. Then Shows up with 30 minutes left and grabs what he considers the best deal for his $5.