Free Agent Adrian Peterson

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
Yeah, they're out their first round pick in the Bradford trade, but they've still got their 2nd round pick and two 3rd round picks, so they should be in a position to get some decent talent on day 2.
Vikes have two 4th-rounders as well, then one in each of 5th-7th rounds, so eigth picks overall (til Rick tries to get up to his 10 picks...)

Long didn't cost a thing; was UFA and got hurt again in a hurry.

P.S. We need to be done with AP. Was a great RB for the first half of his career and will surely be an HOFer, but the potential upside just isn't there anymore, and he still can't block, doesn't catch well, and fumbles. Doesn't fit Shurmur's West Coast offense either. Yet, I have this sinking feeling that Spielman is going to bring AP back after he finds out that he's not going to get much in the market. I'm hoping AP's pride keeps him from coming back.

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
Good move by the Vikings, I think.

No way AP ends up in Green bay. In addition to his off the field issues, his skills don't fit what the Packers ask of their RB's - pass blocking and versatility/ability to catch balls out of the backfield. Only thing that makes sense would be the fact that the Packers wouldn't be sacrificing a compensatory draft pick by picking him up, since he will likely be cut by the Vikings.

I think it is much more likely that with Jamaal Charles and AP in the open market, Eddie Lacy doesn't see the $$ he wants and returns to GB on a home town discount.

Also wouldn't be surprised to see AP return to Minnesota on a restructured contract.

Last edited:

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames
I guarantee the Packers aren't interested in AP, and the Vikings shouldn't be either.

An offense like Tampa Bay or Oakland is where he will end up I believe.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
The Minneapolis press is saying Vikes may go after the Raiders' RB L. Murray. Most 'experts' rate him as the best RB free agent but the $6 million plus/yr they are saying it will take to sign him isn't cheap.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
As free agency drags on you gotta wonder if any teams wants The Ego. The only people surprised that teams would rather bring a RB out of retirement before offering the future HOFer is AP and his dad.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Let him go to the Packers. When he's injured by week 4, we'll be laughing.

This. AP with the Packers is such a bad fit. Everything that they want their RBs to do on offense, he doesn't do well. And everything he does well, they don't do on offense.

It's a total square peg in a round hole. I'm not a Packers fan, but I still respect the hell out of that offense. It's friggin deadly. Plugging AP in there fixes what problem exactly?

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
This. AP with the Packers is such a bad fit. Everything that they want their RBs to do on offense, he doesn't do well. And everything he does well, they don't do on offense.

It's a total square peg in a round hole. I'm not a Packers fan, but I still respect the hell out of that offense. It's friggin deadly. Plugging AP in there fixes what problem exactly?
Exactly. I'd be more than fine if AP ends up in GB. Terrible fit.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Meh, Packers, no way. More likely he signs with the expansion Moscow Mules in Russia. Better fit as their QB Ivan Smirnoff is under center and not in the shotgun.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I can't believe how soft the market is for older running backs (no matter how talented they are). Something must be out of whack with AP's salary demands because the Vikings signed Murray with a broken foot over him. And I believe the leader in the clubhouse on guaranteed money for running backs is Rex freaking Burkhead this offseason.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Am I the only one that thinks Peterson has actually become decent at pass protection (not great but acceptable)? He's still pretty bad at route running and is awkward at receiving. I think his biggest problems right now are some combination of the fact that he's either lost his ability to change direction, lost his on-field vision or is just plain indecisive in making his cuts.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
At this point he might be better off to just keep in shape and wait until fall camp and preseason. Injuries happen, and that's about the only way to create any demand for him. It's a crap market for RB's in general, especially ones with a ton of wear and tear.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Am I the only one that thinks Peterson has actually become decent at pass protection (not great but acceptable)? He's still pretty bad at route running and is awkward at receiving. I think his biggest problems right now are some combination of the fact that he's either lost his ability to change direction, lost his on-field vision or is just plain indecisive in making his cuts.

I just think he's lost a little bit of that burst and explosiveness that made him so special in his prime. The vision is still there, he just can't get to the spot as quickly as he used to and he hasn't changed his approach to compensate. It's hell getting old.

There's probably still a little left in the tank and I think he can still grind out tough yards for a good team, but his days of breaking off long runs are over.

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I just think he's lost a little bit of that burst and explosiveness that made him so special in his prime. The vision is still there, he just can't get to the spot as quickly as he used to and he hasn't changed his approach to compensate. It's hell getting old.

There's probably still a little left in the tank and I think he can still grind out tough yards for a good team, but his days of breaking off long runs are over.
I agree. With a good line, he could be a pretty good 3-4 yard back. But with the occasional fumble issues, do you really want him as a grind-it-out or short yardage back? I do think he still has good speed so I could see him breaking a long run if there's a big hole.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Talent trumps scheme.

Then again, not sure AP is much "talent" anymore.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I agree. With a good line, he could be a pretty good 3-4 yard back. But with the occasional fumble issues, do you really want him as a grind-it-out or short yardage back? I do think he still has good speed so I could see him breaking a long run if there's a big hole.

I don't know. The fumbles are another issue altogether. So many of those occur because he's fighting for the big play or extra yards. And I doubt he's that big play guy anymore. But he's still plenty strong enough to get that tough yardage in 3rd and short situations. It depends on him realizing that he's not a feature back anymore and he needs to change his approach to prioritize ball protection and getting what's there instead of trying to bust a big play. And who knows if he can do that? From the outside looking in, it looks to me like there's a pretty wide gulf between how good AP values himself and how the rest of the league values him.

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

Help Support Us

Become a patron