Free Agent Adrian Peterson

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
The fact he only wants to line up 37 yards behind the line of scrimmage doesn't help him either.

• Funny
Reactions: Bryce7

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Am I the only one that thinks Peterson has actually become decent at pass protection (not great but acceptable)? He's still pretty bad at route running and is awkward at receiving. I think his biggest problems right now are some combination of the fact that he's either lost his ability to change direction, lost his on-field vision or is just plain indecisive in making his cuts.
Hopefully better than this. The funny part is this play was set up by Peterson missing his block.

• Informative
Reactions: jcyclonee

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Talent trumps scheme.

Then again, not sure AP is much "talent" anymore.
This actually proves my point, although I would say "talent dictates scheme" is more accurate, or at least it should dictate scheme. The Packers have, in Rodgers, just about the biggest "talent" in the league for the scheme they've been running for the last few years. Why in the world would they alter that for AP? Rodgers makes that offense go, and has for some time now. Why would they change things for 32 year old, often injured, AP?

Short answer, they wouldn't. So, we're back to a square peg in a round hole.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I would rather see McCafferty instead of Peterson for the packers his skill sets match better than Peterson's and will be much cheaper.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18993593/adrian-peterson-high-asking-price-keeping-signing

There you have it. If AP is seeking 8 mil per year then he is totally out of touch with the demand for his services. The only way he sees even close to that kind of money is if he waits it out to see which big names go down with injury in camp and preseason. Even then, it's a limited market because there aren't that many teams that are heavily run oriented. And anymore it's basically a requirement for a RB to be at least serviceable as a pass protector and receiver. AP is neither.

Last edited:

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18993593/adrian-peterson-high-asking-price-keeping-signing

This appears to be all about pride. Supposedly he's looking for $8 mil per season. I'm sorry, AP. You were fantastic, and potentially you still are. I loved watching you run for the Vikings for all those years. But man, you need to get a grip on reality. You're not worth even close to that much. If you get a $5 million offer you should take it and be super happy about it. $8mil is nuts. How could he even think that he's going to get that much?

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

There you have it. If AP is seeking 8 mil per year then he is totally out of touch with the demand for his services. The only way he sees even close to that kind of money is if he waits it out to see which big names go down with injury in camp and preseason. Even then, it's a limited market because that are heavily run oriented anymore. And anymore it's basically a requirement for a RB to be at least serviceable as a pass protector and receiver. AP is neither.
damn, you beat me

Reactions: jbindm

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

This appears to be all about pride. Supposedly he's looking for $8 mil per season. I'm sorry, AP. You were fantastic, and potentially you still are. I loved watching you run for the Vikings for all those years. But man, you need to get a grip on reality. You're not worth even close to that much. If you get a $5 million offer you should take it and be super happy about it. $8mil is nuts. How could he even think that he's going to get that much?

Par for the course for AP. Hasn't he always lacked self awareness? Great player once upon a time and no doubt a Hall of Famer someday, but nobody gets paid for what they did five years ago.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Kirk Ferentz disagrees with this part.
lol. Kirk is like "I'll see your 5 years ago, and raise you a 2002 Orange Bowl loss. Now pay me, Gary!!!"

• Funny
Reactions: BCClone

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I bet he goes to the Packers

Yeah... I think I'll take the field. It wouldn't shock me to see him land as the early down back with a team that runs a two or three back platoon. Maybe the Bengals if Jeremy Hill falls out of favor there. But first he's going to have to come way down on his asking price and come to grips with not being the featured guy.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
I always felt that the Vikings paid waaay too much to AP in the first place. He was due a 6 million dollar bonus plus 12 million in salary this year. Think of what they could have done with the $24 million dollars they spent on him over the 2015 and 2016 seasons. Now he'll be lucky to get a third of what the Vikings paid him.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I always felt that the Vikings paid waaay too much to AP in the first place. He was due a 6 million dollar bonus plus 12 million in salary this year. Think of what they could have done with the $24 million dollars they spent on him over the 2015 and 2016 seasons. Now he'll be lucky to get a third of what the Vikings paid him.
They did overpay, however he was a huge part of what they did on offense. They also had some flexibility because they weren't paying for an expensive QB when they did that deal. That frees up a ton of cash. Could they have used it in other ways? Sure. But he was the focal point of the offense.

I, personally thought they should have let him go at the end of last year.

But, I will say, AP's dad's whining about the Vikings not even coming to the negotiating table, this off season, loses some impact if you imagine that AP's starting price was $8million. No team is going to pay that.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
He might end up back with the Vikings yet the way this is going.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
A huge incentive contract is the only way for The Ego to save face after learning that very few teams want him. He still has a couple of good (not great) seasons left in him with the right team. The only question at this point is -- who wants to massage The Ego.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Can't wait to see how much he actually signs for. My guess is a two year deal for $9 million. He of course would have been insulted if the Vikings offered him that deal.

He got his two year deal but I was a couple of million off. AP has to be really insulted to sign for for $3.5/yr.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Good for him that he found a place.

The Saints, shockingly enough, are actually a pretty good fit. Not perfect, or course, but they run out of the shotgun less than most teams. And Ingram is not so entrenched that Peterson can't see himself earning the starting spot eventually. It's a lot less money than he was reportedly asking for, but that's just reality smacking him in the face.