Freshman Advice Thread

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
How much work is it to be a VP or Pres of your dorm floor?
Can depend on what dorm you're living in and what floor. The floor and cabinet can decide what the roles of each position will be. I was on my floor's cabinet for about two years. I would say, on average, it was something I only had to commit a couple hours to every week.

Bu4ISU

Sep 2, 2012
Seattle
Can depend on what dorm you're living in and what floor. The floor and cabinet can decide what the roles of each position will be. I was on my floor's cabinet for about two years. I would say, on average, it was something I only had to commit a couple hours to every week.
Might be tough to juggle while also being in a fraternity then. Darn

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Might be tough to juggle while also being in a fraternity then. Darn

be the VP. I never did a thing other than attend the weekly house meetings that were Sunday night. I think we moved around the time for the girls who were in the sororities.

It helped that the President was scared of me and never asked me to go to meetings when she couldn't (like she was supposed to). Easiest "leadership" thing I ever did. Don't think any of the other cabinet people were Greeks though.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
be the VP. I never did a thing other than attend the weekly house meetings that were Sunday night. I think we moved around the time for the girls who were in the sororities.

It helped that the President was scared of me and never asked me to go to meetings when she couldn't (like she was supposed to). Easiest "leadership" thing I ever did. Don't think any of the other cabinet people were Greeks though.
Ding. Ding. Ding.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I think it looks pretty good; getting from Pearson to Curtiss in 10 minutes shouldn't be too bad but could be close occasionally. If you stay on campus from start to finish in your classes - 10:00-2:00 MW, 11:00-2:00 F, and 8:00-3:00 TR - you should be able to knock out most of your homework before you even get back to your dorm and have the whole late afternoon/evening to whatever you want.

People recommend avoiding 8:00am's if you are not a morning person, but unless there is an alternative that doesn't get you back-to-back-to-back's and isn't from like 3:15-4:40pm, 8:00am is the best option. I hated those classes that weren't over until almost 5:00 and I still had a ton of stuff to get done afterwards.

Pearson to Curtiss is a cakewalk. Heck, you could probably bearcrawl that in 10 minutes. Pearson is pretty much right behind Beardshear.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
You can't make friends on your own? Sorry Frats are for losers. Feel sorry for anyone who has to resort to that. Join the flag twirling team instead. Will get better looks on campus.

Congrats on taking a perhaps valid point and obliterating it by just resorting to insults and browbeating.

That discussion has been had about 100,000 times already, and I did not and would not join a fraternity, but the only ones who truly miss out are those who generalize and act superior on either side.

And I'm not touting fraternity life...again, I wasn't in one and would never do it. But, if you're going to just be lazy about arguing it, you're just being a doosher.

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
How much work is it to be a VP or Pres of your dorm floor?
Does being the VP or Pres still include a choice parking spot outside your dorm room? If I remember correctly, one or both of those positions included a spot which comes in handy in the winter or when your late for class and too lazy to walk across campus.

Edit: Never mind now that I think about it the spot was only for the Pres or VP of your dorm which seems like it would be quite the undertaking for some of the larger ones. We had one when I was in Helser, but only half the building was being occupied.

Last edited:

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Does being the VP or Pres still include a choice parking spot outside your dorm room? If I remember correctly, one or both of those positions included a spot which comes in handy in the winter or when your late for class and too lazy to walk across campus.

First reason why I became president. Yes, it is one parking spot per floor. Discounted, not free anymore

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Join Cyclone Alley Committee if you want leadership experience where you do absolutely nothing. Fit right in with the current CAC.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Join Cyclone Alley Committee if you want leadership experience where you do absolutely nothing. Fit right in with the current CAC.

url

Bu4ISU

Sep 2, 2012
Seattle
You can't make friends on your own? Sorry Frats are for losers. Feel sorry for anyone who has to resort to that. Join the flag twirling team instead. Will get better looks on campus.
Uhm. What? That doesn't even make any sense. In now way am I not making friends by being in a fraternity? I still interact with everyone on my floor. I'm just not sure if a leadership position in the house would be a wise thing to do my freshman year. And to answer the frats are for losers, there's a lot of facts to back up why the aren't. I won't go into it, I respect you're choice not to go Greek. But blowing up on people who do isn't the right way about it.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
Best spot to take my car this weekend? I live in Maple and someone told me that there's like 2 rows of parking available in the MWL parking lot on the weekends. Is that true?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron