Freshman Advice Thread

DFWClone

Aug 19, 2013
Half?

Amateur. Let us know when you and 2 other friends are splitting a 3 Medium deal from Dominos
By the end of last year my body was so used to eating a medium dominos every week, it wouldn't even fill me up anymore. It was pretty sad.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
It's college, have fun but don't have "too much" fun else you won't be in college for very long. That first semester is really key for getting a feel of how you are going to adapt to college life. Don't be person that parties every night and slacks off in the classroom but also don't be that book worm that won't come out of his room and have a little fun once in awhile. The key is finding a good balance between school work and social life and a lot of freshmen struggle with that now that they are on their own and don't have the security blanket of having a structured schedule like you did in High School and living at home. No one is there to make sure you go to class and put in enough time with your studies and you are going to find out that most professors aren't going to pull you aside and let you know they are concerned about how you are doing in their class like a lot of high school teachers would.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Dumb Husband. Anyone willing to marry Cowgirl has to be dumb as ****.

Sorry, in my circles it's "Dear Husband." But maybe you're used to what you said.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I wanna thank those who suggested to leave my dorm room open. I did this and it worked out great. My roommate is a dud but thankfully I've made really good friends with my floor-mates.

I first read that as your roommate is a dad. That would not be good.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Today is my first "first day" not at ISU since 2009, so I just wanna tell the freshmen to make the most of it because the next 4 (or so) years will go by quicker than you know. And one day you'll be sitting somewhere that's not Ames on the first day of ISU classes and thinking back nostalgically to today.

TheEsTasTaco

Aug 22, 2014
colorado 420 lol
Today is my first "first day" not at ISU since 2009, so I just wanna tell the freshmen to make the most of it because the next 4 (or so) years will go by quicker than you know. And one day you'll be sitting somewhere that's not Ames on the first day of ISU classes and thinking back nostalgically to today.

make memories which will withstand the inexorable march of time.

so, plenty of video games and studying in your dorm room

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
If you see any mysterious smiley faces on campus report it here immediately!

Take the time to meet a few of your professors before or after class. Not in like a kiss *** way. I have a few I still go to for advice on certain things and they still help me out quite a bit.

And if you get the chance, inhale.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
If you see any mysterious smiley faces on campus report it here immediately!

Take the time to meet a few of your professors before or after class. Not in like a kiss *** way. I have a few I still go to for advice on certain things and they still help me out quite a bit.

And if you get the chance, inhale.
Professors can be a great connection after graduation. I've become friends with a couple after graduation, and ran into one at Wal-Mart the other day, and he came up to me to see what I'm up to.

fwiw

May 20, 2009
Is Kottman still around? Most memorable prof I ever had and wasn't even in my major.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Is Kottman still around? Most memorable prof I ever had and wasn't even in my major.

Still lives in Ames, but he retired years ago.
I was telling a Kottman story in the office when he called the department chair directly. Apparently, he introduces himself on the phone by saying, "This is Kottman" and clearly expecting you to take in everything he has to say.

He was a favorite. Getting an A from that guy is my favorite grade of all time.

Help Support Us

Become a patron